Mad Men ...season five

Buftex

It's back, finally... great season premiere...too many commercials though....I will never be able to hear "Zoo Be Zoo" again without thinking of Megan Draper...what a babe! Almost makes me forget about Sophia Loren.

So many great lines in tonight's episode, almost have to watch it over to remember them all... but the "bean ballet" takes the cake.

I get the feeling that this season is going to be even darker...

Edited by Buftex

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll have to watch it again too, but agree on the darkness. It's clearly implied that Don Draper simply doesn't know how to be happy. At least we know that he's told Megan about "Dick Whitman". I guess that shows some growth.

The story with Layne and Delores might be interesting.

I'll have to watch it again too, but agree on the darkness. It's clearly implied that Don Draper simply doesn't know how to be happy. At least we know that he's told Megan about "Dick Whitman". I guess that shows some growth.

The story with Layne and Delores might be interesting.

Yeah, it seemed like Don's near miss with getting caught in the "Dick Whitman" lie last season made him sort of think, "I'm tired of runnig from this...let the chips fall where they may". The whole scene with Don & Meagen cleaning the apartment kind of lends itself to some other things they hinted at, last season. Don/Dick seems to have some issues in the bedroom with "feeling worthy"...pretty bold storyline for them to follow up on. Also, though she is a bit more worldly, it almost seems like Don has married another woman-child, like Betty.

It also seems like Layne has some deep, hidden lusts too...I wonder which black lady he will pick to work at the firm...seems he had some predelection for this taboo as well. Wasn't sure what to make of the whole Delores/Padillo thing...they spent enough time on it that it makes me think it is significant. Is Padillo a gangster? Didn't the voice of Delores sound really familiar?

Edited by Buftex

Yeah, it seemed like Don's near miss with getting caught in the "Dick Whitman" lie last season made him sort of think, "I'm tired of runnig from this...let the chips fall where they may". The whole scene with Don & Meagen cleaning the apartment kind of lends itself to some other things they hinted at, last season. Don/Dick seems to have some issues in the bedroom with "feeling worthy"...pretty bold storyline for them to follow up on.

It also seems like Layne has some deep, hidden lusts too...I wonder which black lady he will pick to work at the firm...seems he had some predelection for this taboo as well. Wasn't sure what to make of the whole Delores/Padillo thing...they spent enough time on it that it makes me think it is significant. Is Padillo a gangster? Didn't the voice of Delores sound really familiar?

I hope they spend more time this season on Layne. He is such a weird dude, which makes him interesting.

looks like racism is gonna be a big theme. i think they touched on it with the drapers' maid in past seasons.. it was a huge issue in that era.

and yes, i think padillo will be shown to be a gangster. maybe the firm runs out of credit and goes to him for help?

that's the first time i've heard "zoo be zoo" but since then i'm hearing it in my head all day long. all in all, a very good premier.

looks like racism is gonna be a big theme. i think they touched on it with the drapers' maid in past seasons.. it was a huge issue in that era.

and yes, i think padillo will be shown to be a gangster. maybe the firm runs out of credit and goes to him for help?

that's the first time i've heard "zoo be zoo" but since then i'm hearing it in my head all day long. all in all, a very good premier.

It was a big hit for Sophia Loren, back in 1965.

I love youtube...of course they have a vid for it!

Edited by Buftex

Zoo Be Zoo indeed. I'm with Harry Crane, I'd like to put Megan Draper's heels on my shoulders and.......:lol:

And speaking of Harry, we need more scenes between he and Roger. Their exchange while Roger pays him off to switch offices with Pete was hysterical.

Good start to the season, great to have MM back.

Zoo Be Zoo indeed. I'm with Harry Crane, I'd like to put Megan Draper's heels on my shoulders and.......:lol:

And speaking of Harry, we need more scenes between he and Roger. Their exchange while Roger pays him off to switch offices with Pete was hysterical.

Good start to the season, great to have MM back.

Agreed on all counts...Pete's little prank on Roger, for the 6am Staten Island meeting with Coca Cola, was hilarious...love the dirty look they give to each-other at the end...

Megan is pretty damn hot...sort of in a vintage Mary Tyler Moore way...you had to know this was coming:

http://blogs.amctv.com/mad-men/2012/03/zou-bisou-bisou-record.php

The show is so funny sometimes, you kind of lose sight of the fact that these guys are all kind of a-holes. Ironically, Pete, weasley Pete, is probably the most principled guy in the bunch...I thought it was interesting that they showed how oblivious they all seemed to the civil rights things going on around them, and only had their hand forced, because of a jab at their competition.

Edited by Buftex

The show is so funny sometimes, you kind of lose sight of the fact that these guys are all kind of a-holes. Ironically, Pete, weasley Pete, is probably the most principled guy in the bunch...I thought it was interesting that they showed how oblivious they all seemed to the civil rights things going on around them, and only had their hand forced, because of a jab at their competition.

Yes, you had a feeling that ad would backfire (like pretty much everything else Roger does). I've always loved how much they've woven the actual historical events and issues of the day into the story and character development. That's really the gist of the series; how did guys raised on pre-60s mentalities about work, family and American values/culture deal with witnessing, dealing with and accepting (to some degree) the massive cultural changes going on around them. Not surprisingly, the younger guys are going to adapt better and more quickly (eg., Pete, though he is the ultimate fence straddler between the old and new generations which is leading to his success). Last season focused heavily on women's issues with Peggy and Joan asserting themselves at work and Betty doing so at home via divorce. This season it appears to be the racial aspect as we move into the civil rights era.

You can notice the evolution in the series in the characters that have come and gone and in the whole tone of the series; a remarkable change from the first season till now that reflects the same change America saw between 1959 and 1965 (with more to come).

Yes, you had a feeling that ad would backfire (like pretty much everything else Roger does). I've always loved how much they've woven the actual historical events and issues of the day into the story and character development. That's really the gist of the series; how did guys raised on pre-60s mentalities about work, family and American values/culture deal with witnessing, dealing with and accepting (to some degree) the massive cultural changes going on around them. Not surprisingly, the younger guys are going to adapt better and more quickly (eg., Pete, though he is the ultimate fence straddler between the old and new generations which is leading to his success). Last season focused heavily on women's issues with Peggy and Joan asserting themselves at work and Betty doing so at home via divorce. This season it appears to be the racial aspect as we move into the civil rights era.

You can notice the evolution in the series in the characters that have come and gone and in the whole tone of the series; a remarkable change from the first season till now that reflects the same change America saw between 1959 and 1965 (with more to come).

One of my all-time favorite scenes in the show, from the first season...Don, in his business suit, at his bohemian mistresses house...she, Don, and a couple of her beatnik friends are all stoned. They have all been giving Don **** for being part of the establishment. When they hear cops in the apartment building, Don gets up to leave...one of them says "there's cops out there, you can't go out there"....Don straightens up his tie and says "you can't" and waltzes out into the night..."the universe is indifferent".

One of my all-time favorite scenes in the show, from the first season...Don, in his business suit, at his bohemian mistresses house...she, Don, and a couple of her beatnik friends are all stoned. They have all been giving Don **** for being part of the establishment. When they hear cops in the apartment building, Don gets up to leave...one of them says "there's cops out there, you can't go out there"....Don straightens up his tie and says "you can't" and waltzes out into the night..."the universe is indifferent".

Hippie: "How do you sleep at night?"

Don: "On a bed made of money."

Okay, so my one question about last night's episode...when Don tells Roger about Betty's condition, Roger says "you want me to make a call?" Don says, "I have to be the one to make the call" or something like that. Who were they talking about calling? What did I miss there?

Anyway, seems like Roger and Pete are headed for a showdown...Heniz may be on Roger's side, but time is not!

Okay, so my one question about last night's episode...when Don tells Roger about Betty's condition, Roger says "you want me to make a call?" Don says, "I have to be the one to make the call" or something like that. Who were they talking about calling? What did I miss there?

Anyway, seems like Roger and Pete are headed for a showdown...Heniz may be on Roger's side, but time is not!

He was talking about calling the hospital/doctor to find out the results. At least that's how I took it.

My nightmare from last night: I was a box of Bugles and Betty Francis was looking at me.

Gluttony was on display in this episode. Harry Crane went through those White Castle sliders like Soviet tanks through Prague.

My nightmare from last night: I was a box of Bugles and Betty Francis was looking at me.

Gluttony was on display in this episode. Harry Crane went through those White Castle sliders like Soviet tanks through Prague.

It's funny, I know that Matt Weiner has said over and over again, that characters may come and go, and I just assumed Betty would be one of them...honestly, I thought she would either kill herself, or get cancer...so, it looks like she escaped cancer...didn't it seem like they were trying to soften her character (and I don't mean the weight gain) up a little last night...when the show first started, I used to feel sorry for her character (as many probably did) but then she just became more and more unlikeable. But last night, she just seemed more empathetic.

I know January Jones was very pregnant during the filming of this season...almost seems to me, if they were intending to keep her around on the show, they would have written her pregnancy (and weight gain) into the show. It felt like that character was coming to a conclusion last night.

He was talking about calling the hospital/doctor to find out the results. At least that's how I took it.

Okay, that makes sense...cuz the minute Roger left the room, he called Betty's house, and talked to Henry Francis...sometimes, I am so afraid I am missing something, that I read too much into small things like that! :P

Harry with some big time munchies! :lol:

I know January Jones was very pregnant during the filming of this season...almost seems to me, if they were intending to keep her around on the show, they would have written her pregnancy (and weight gain) into the show. It felt like that character was coming to a conclusion last night.

I like that they wrote the storyline about her getting fat rather than being pregnant. Sally already ashamed of her mother and not wanting to go down that road by refusing the ice cream. Henry obviously pissed off that Betty called Don right after finding out about the lump.

Love the new multi-cultural SCDP. Another great Rogerism about hiring the Jewish guy: "Everyone's got one now"

I like that they wrote the storyline about her getting fat rather than being pregnant. Sally already ashamed of her mother and not wanting to go down that road by refusing the ice cream. Henry obviously pissed off that Betty called Don right after finding out about the lump.

Only thing is, January Jones is thin as a pin again...so she took off the baby weight. The scene where she is sitting on the lawn, with her family, holding the youngest son was about as sympathetic a shot we have seen of her in sometime.

Like "The Sopranos" one thing I love about this show is their willingness to take points of view on a situation that are so obvious, but, are rarely taken in television. Megan, 14 years younger than Don, complains that he has all the energy to go to the Rolling Stones show the night before, but none to hang out with her and her friends at the beach.

• 2 weeks later...

After some DVR incidents, I'm finally caught up on this, and loving the show as much as ever. After being pissed at The Killing (which I think might be back but I don't care) and trying to get into some other shows, now I know why this is about the only one I really love.

After some DVR incidents, I'm finally caught up on this, and loving the show as much as ever. After being pissed at The Killing (which I think might be back but I don't care) and trying to get into some other shows, now I know why this is about the only one I really love.

I hear you..."Mad Men", "Breaking Bad" and "Boardwalk Empire" are clearly the cream of the crop..."The Killing" may be the worst "critically acclaimed" show I have ever seen.

Don's dream sequence was kind of a jolt, huh? For a minute I thought the show had taken the most unexpected of turns. I have had similar dreams...