IMHO Buffalo will trade down from 10

Frez

The more I think about it the more it seems to make sense. Unless Buffalo is in love with certain player at the 10th spot I can see Buffalo trading down and acquiring more picks in this years draft. Selecting a Cordy Glenn in the middle of round one or a Courtney Upshaw, Zach Brown, Peter Konz, Mike Adams, Devon Still, etc etc.

Buddy Nix made this statement "We have 9 picks in this years draft but would like 10". If Buffalo finds a dancing partner at 10 I really believe we trade down and gain some more picks. Buffalo needs depth at many positions. Every year we get "awed" from the top 15 names in the draft but it's usually the 2nd round and back where the players really make the most impact in the NFL.

Can't stand the wait until the draft!

Edited by Frez

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i think the whole buddy comment is incorrectly assessed....i took it as meaning you can never have too many draft picks...ie if the bills had 10 picks he would have said we wanted 11 etc...

You're probably correct on Buddy's comment. Draft is just around the corner, can't wait!

Agree this would be a good year to dance down from the 10 spot. Very few elite players available and relatively deep at certain positions of particular need for The Bills.

However, that said - it takes two to tango. Who do you see as a draft partner at 12 - 18 or so that you think would be willing to trade up to the 10 spot and for what particular set of needs can be addressed by the players that you think would/could still be there? I haven't done a study of the issue.

Here are "potential" trading partners with The Bills seeking to move down. Any lower than 20 and it would cost the other team a fortune in picks and I just don't see anyone still available at that spot to warrant moving up more than 10 spots.

Dallas if Tannehill is there? Philly - if Floyd? JESTS if DeCastro? SD if by some miracle Trent Richardson is still there?

11 KC

12 Seattle

13 Arizona

14 Dallas

15 Philly

16 JESTS

17 Sincy

18 San Diego

19 ShoeKago

20 Thumbtacks

Sure, it'd be nice to move down a bit and pick up another 2nd, 3rd, or 4th.

Just not clearly seeing a path for that to realistically be there.

Then again, what do I know? I'm just a fan of the game.

The more I think about it the more it seems to make sense. Unless Buffalo is in love with certain player at the 10th spot I can see Buffalo trading down and acquiring more picks in this years draft. Selecting a Cordy Glenn in the middle of round one or a Courtney Upshaw, Zach Brown, Peter Konz, Mike Adams, Devon Still, etc etc.

Buddy Nix made this statement "We have 9 picks in this years draft but would like 10". If Buffalo finds a dancing partner at 10 I really believe we trade down and gain some more picks. Buffalo needs depth at many positions. Every year we get "awed" from the top 15 names in the draft but it's usually the 2nd round and back where the players really make the most impact in the NFL.

I really like a trade down option here. The players that you listed could all be nice prospects for the Bills. I really like Cordy Glenn who might be the second or third best OL in the draft and who can play tackle as well as guard. In addition to the players you listed there are some outstanding second and third round options for the Bills. It would be great to have two first's or an extra second or even another third round draft pick. Beyond the first few picks that are not many sure things in this draft but as is often the case there are a ton of outstanding prospects would would be a lot of fun to watch on the Bills roster.

As Nanker stated you need a dance partner, and if we can see there isn't elite talent at 10 so can every other GM. A trade down will depend on if a desirable player falls to us.

As for Buddy's comment of wanting more picks he could be referring to comp picks which are yet to be given out.

PTR

As Nanker stated you need a dance partner, and if we can see there isn't elite talent at 10 so can every other GM. A trade down will depend on if a desirable player falls to us.

As for Buddy's comment of wanting more picks he could be referring to comp picks which are yet to be given out.

PTR

I agree. I don't see any team interested in trading up for # 10. Who would be the trade up target?

I wouldn't be suprised if we see some movement this year. With the change in FA goals and Buddy saying we are close to the playoffs this year, we may see a change in draft strategy as well. That said, if Cinci feels the need to come up to 10 to get Richardson it would be a great situation. If we can get the 17 and 21 from them and maybe give up our third it would be nice. That would allow us to get a lb and wr of prety good caliber and find a cb or ot in the second.

I realize the draft value chart works out to be more of a 2nd from us, but I don't think it has been updated for the new rookie salaries and that make the top picks more valuable.

I agree. I don't see any team interested in trading up for # 10. Who would be the trade up target?

We will have to wait and see what players falls in the draft this year. Hard to predict without a crystal ball to see what team wants to trade up right now.

I agree with you. It wouldn't surprise me at all if we trade down. I'd like to get a LT at 10 but I'm not to fond of picking receivers that high. I'd rather trade down if he is going to go on a WR and address that in the late 1st or 2nd round.

I agree with you. It wouldn't surprise me at all if we trade down. I'd like to get a LT at 10 but I'm not to fond of picking receivers that high. I'd rather trade down if he is going to go on a WR and address that in the late 1st or 2nd round.

Although Buddy may want to trade down, IMO, he won't be able to find a trading partner. Buddy hates to give up draft picks. News flash; so do other GMs. The only way he might be able to trade down is if he offers to do it at a rather insignificant price,i.e., Buffalo moves down from 10 to, say 18, and asks for only a 4th. round pick to do so. Would you be happy with that trade?

I am with you Frez and will stand on that trade down opinion until something else happens. The draft is too deep and the talent pool too equal to sit at just #10. Also Jim Kelly kind of let it slip about the dangling the pick part after Mario Williams signed.

to be honest - im still in shock we signed mario williams and mark anderson.

draft a freaking punter for all i care, i just cant wait to go out with all my displaced-buffalo friends to our local wing spot, get some hot wings, drink a few beers and talk about the upcoming season while watching the first round.

i dont watch college football, im not a talent scout, and all of my opinions on the draft come from hoping we draft someone ive heard of (andrew luck) at a glamour position.

i trust buddy to do whats right! i just know itll be a fun night. go bills!

I wouldn't be suprised if we see some movement this year. With the change in FA goals and Buddy saying we are close to the playoffs this year, we may see a change in draft strategy as well. That said, if Cinci feels the need to come up to 10 to get Richardson it would be a great situation. If we can get the 17 and 21 from them and maybe give up our third it would be nice. That would allow us to get a lb and wr of prety good caliber and find a cb or ot in the second.

I realize the draft value chart works out to be more of a 2nd from us, but I don't think it has been updated for the new rookie salaries and that make the top picks more valuable.

Right you are.

Simulating the CIN trade using DraftTek Simulator,

CIN takes Trent Richardson RB (I maintain they'd take Dre Kirkpatrick here, which our CIN analyst agrees with), and Markelle Martin FS in RD3, so they get their top 2 draft priorities. The Bills take (10 picks--I added a comp at the end of RD7):

RD1-BUF-Jonathan Martin OT Stanford

RD1-BUF-Stephen Hill WRF Georgia Tech

RD2-BUF-Stephon Gilmore CB South Carolina

RD4-BUF-Terrell Manning LB North Carolina State

RD4-BUF-Ladarius Green TE Louisiana-Lafayette

RD5-BUF-Nate Potter OT Boise State

RD5-BUF-Marquis Maze WRS Alabama

RD6-BUF-Josh Chapman DT Alabama

RD7-BUF-Russell Wilson QB Wisconsin

RD7-BUF-Jordan White WRF Western Michigan

This report was produced usingDraft Tek's Draft Simulator

PTR

Exactly. These "trade down" theories assume there's a player someoe would have a do or die interest in at #10. Once you get past luck and rg3 I don't see anyone who fits the bill. Yeap not even kalil, rarely see any big moves for oLinemen. Maybe just maybe Claiborne but odds are close to zero he falls to 10 and if he does we had better take him !

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Right you are.

Simulating the CIN trade using DraftTek Simulator,

CIN takes Trent Richardson RB (I maintain they'd take Dre Kirkpatrick here, which our CIN analyst agrees with), and Markelle Martin FS in RD3, so they get their top 2 draft priorities. The Bills take (10 picks--I added a comp at the end of RD7):

RD1-BUF-Jonathan Martin OT Stanford

RD1-BUF-Stephen Hill WRF Georgia Tech

RD2-BUF-Stephon Gilmore CB South Carolina

RD4-BUF-Terrell Manning LB North Carolina State

RD4-BUF-Ladarius Green TE Louisiana-Lafayette

RD5-BUF-Nate Potter OT Boise State

RD5-BUF-Marquis Maze WRS Alabama

RD6-BUF-Josh Chapman DT Alabama

RD7-BUF-Russell Wilson QB Wisconsin

RD7-BUF-Jordan White WRF Western Michigan

This report was produced usingDraft Tek's Draft Simulator

For all of that trading, Martin and Hill make our first 3 picks pretty lackluster.

IMO, I'd rather have Floyd, Gilmore, and David than Martin/Hill/Gilmore.

In that comparison, we're effectively trading down just to get an OK Tackle instead of a good value OLB prospect. Dont see it as worth the risk or hassle. jmho.

Exactly. These "trade down" theories assume there's a player someoe would have a do or die interest in at #10. Once you get past luck and rg3 I don't see anyone who fits the bill. Yeap not even kalil, rarely see any big moves for oLinemen. Maybe just maybe Claiborne but odds are close to zero he falls to 10 and if he does we had better take him !

Sure, they're thories but there has to be some basis on team needs because we don't know draft boards etc. of other teams. The one thing we can look at is our needs compared to those around us.

Another trade down scenario could be that the best pass rusher (on someone's board) in the draft falls to us and we don't have the same grade on him but someone wants to get him before Seattle. Then it'd be a question of the parameters of the trade being acceptable to Buddy.

No new information here but a semi-interesting look into the Bills thoughts from Chris Brown on friday. ure, he is not going to give anything away and he doesn't know for sure but he is pretty wired into what they won't do, and the possibilities. And here is what he said about #10, which is what a lot of us are discussing. Obviously Martin, Reiff and Floyd are still in play. To me, IF the Bills find a trade down partner, which I doubt, I could see Buddy trading down. Otherwise I think it still comes down to Floyd or Martin.

CB: This is the great debate for the Bills heading into the draft. Reiff and Martin are widely viewed as players worthy of coming off the board between 10 and 15. Floyd has enhanced his overall stock with a solid Combine workout and squeaky clean senior year off the field.

Truthfully the debate isn’t need versus value. They need a starting left tackle and a number two wide receiver. The question is what is Buffalo’s draft grade on Martin, Reiff and Floyd? If the grades are close I think they pull the trigger at left tackle because they need a starter there. It’s harder and harder to find a capable starting left tackle with each passing round. This draft is deep at receiver and you can arguable get a quality player in round three, though he won’t have 4.47 speed that Floyd possesses.

What we also need to remember is if the grades on Martin, Reiff and Floyd are not close to that of the 10th pick Buffalo could trade down from there and re-group presumably armed with an additional pick.