Nevada's Rishard Matthews

#34fan

I know, I know, Michael Floyd, blah, blah, blah. -Floyd is an awesome talent, no question.

However, If you're in the Market for a third round WR bargain, look no further than Rishard Matthews. Forget about the 1364 passing yards he had last season. Ignore the 91 catches, and 8 touchdowns. (a relatively modest amount) At 6' 1" Matthews probably isn't your deep threat reciever, however as a possession guy, there is none better in this draft.

It's not so much the amount of catches he makes, it's the TYPE of catches he makes. Having been a primary target for a very raw Colin Kaepernick in 2010, Matthews didn't see too may quality balls thrown his way. Kaepernick throws with tremendous velocity, and great accuracy. However, much like a certain Harvard product we know, :rolleyes: Kaepernick's spirals were very rocky, and at times near-uncatchable. It was amazing to see Matthews grab these passes with stunning regularity.

Nevada's offense took a big step back in 2011-12, when Kaepernick was replaced by Tyler Lantrip. Lantrip has a weaker arm, and isn't anywhere near as mobile. Matthews didn't miss a beat. All season long he's made amazing catches at critical times. This is what Gil Brandt had to say about Matthew's pro day:

Rishard Matthews, WR (6-1 1/2, 209) — "Matthews really blew my socks off. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.44 and 4.48 seconds, and stayed on his vertical from the combine. He notched a 10-3 broad jump and kept his shuttle, three-cone and bench. He had an outstanding workout. Scouts said it was as good a workout as they’ve seen from a receiver. Matthews caught the ball and got speed. There are lots and lots of receivers in this draft, but Matthews managed to elevate his status with his performance. I would imagine that he’s now a second-round pick".

I'm confident Matthews will be there until the mid-third, early 4th. IMO He is a must-have for a QB who has trouble converting 3rd downs.

Edited by #34fan

I don't know anything about him but I sure did enjoy your post, it was well written. Thanks for pointing him out, I'm gonna check him out, he sounds like quite a WR.

He's a good receiver, but he can be drafted much later than round 3 imo. Nate Burleson was a pretty good receiver for Nevada.

I know, I know, Michael Floyd, blah, blah, blah. -Floyd is an awesome talent, no question.

However, If you're in the Market for a third round WR bargain, look no further than Rishard Matthews. Forget about the 1364 passing yards he had last season. Ignore the 91 catches, and 8 touchdowns. (a relatively modest amount) At 6' 1" Matthews probably isn't your deep threat reciever, however as a possession guy, there is none better in this draft. (...)

Rishard Matthews, WR (6-1 1/2, 209) — "Matthews really blew my socks off. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.44 and 4.48 seconds, and stayed on his vertical from the combine. He notched a 10-3 broad jump and kept his shuttle, three-cone and bench. He had an outstanding workout. Scouts said it was as good a workout as they've seen from a receiver. Matthews caught the ball and got speed. There are lots and lots of receivers in this draft, but Matthews managed to elevate his status with his performance. I would imagine that he's now a second-round pick".

I'm confident Matthews will be there until the mid-third, early 4th. IMO He is a must-have for a QB who has trouble converting 3rd downs.

Good post, thanks!

Q: the quote claims he's now a second-round pick. Others say 5th, maybe late 4th. Any thoughts on the discrepancy?

I'm all for trying for a couple upgrades at WR.

Good post, thanks!

Q: the quote claims he's now a second-round pick. Others say 5th, maybe late 4th. Any thoughts on the discrepancy?

I'm all for trying for a couple upgrades at WR.

Actually Brandt says that he imagines that Matthews is now a 2nd round pick. As the draft gets closer, NFL teams will start zeroing in on their needs. -Tipping their hands, if you will. I think productive, draftable, players that went largely unoticed during the NCAA season will start popping up on radars. -Especially if they have strong pro days. That's my opinion as an outsider.

This draft seems chock-full of stud recievers. So, In Matthews's case, I'll stick with my original projection of mid-third round to early 4th.

Edited by #34fan