TEBOW!!! is a Jet! (finally)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a Fox game (NFC). I was watching Jets-Redskins on CBS, Broncos-Vikings on Fox, and Bills-Titans on my computer. A very entertaining afternoon!

My fox was showing Zip at 1:00 as it was only single headers. How do you watch the game online?

During the 2010 draft I joked about which was stronger Buffalo's accursedness or Tebow's blessedness- I no longer feel I was joking.

:lol: ... so true

I don't feel like rewinding through the entire thread to identify who made the comparison, but whomever compared Tebow to Flutie was dead on.

Consider the parallels: Quite often, their detractors hate them and their supporters love them.

Both of them continuously win football games but their detractors insisted that it is the defense and not the quarterback.

In both cases the detractors ignore the fact that their teams were consistently losing before they took over the reigns.

For the sake of full disclosure, I believe Flutie was a big reason for the Bills winning and going to our last two playoff appearances (after the 0-3 Rob Johnson start).

For the sake of full disclosure, I'm a bit annoyed with Tebow and his supporters but… I'm gonna hand it to the guy. Tebow deserves a bunch of credit.

Earlier this year there were lots of people on this board saying that Orton was as good/better than Fitz… but Orton was 1-4 as Denver's starter. Only now are people saying he sucks.

Tebow is 5-1 as Denver's starter.

You can rationalize and say the Denver defense has improved blah blah blah but it's still 1-4 versus 5-1 just like it was 0-3 versus 10-3 (back in 1998).

As with all discussions, you can lock yourself into an opinion or you can keep an open mind.

There are definitely some Flutie-like comparisons, but you're bringing that up because he played for the Bills. And that was 13 years ago. The problem with all of this "winner" nonsense is there are about a dozen other guys between Flutie & Tebow who I remember hearing the same tired song & dance about, that the intangible-obsessed crowd has conveniently forgot about.

When Trent Dilfer was exiled from Baltimore he went to Seattle. Hasselbeck was losing, he got hurt, and Dilfer filled in to win a few games. People said Dilfer is a winner, and Holmgren is a stubborn fool for sticking by his guy he knew from GB.

The '06 Titans were 0-6 with Kerry Collins and finished up 8-8 with Vince Young, then went to the playoffs the following year. AND he won a nat'l championship - so he's obviously a winner and Collins is a loser. Guess which one was the QB two years later when they went 13-3? It wasn't the winner from Texas.

People say stuff like "Oh I'm sure it's a coincidence that the team is playing better now!". As if teams never play better or worse at different points in the year with the same QB. Like the '09 Broncos, who started 6-0 and finished 8-8, or the '86 Jets who started 10-1 and finished 10-6, or the '93 Oilers who started 1-4 and finished 12-4, or the '08 Bills, or the '11 Bills, or a zillion and one other teams.

If you want to draft Jordan Jefferson because he's a proven winner then I want you in the front office of 1 of my rivals. Five years from now we'll be having this same ridiculous "winner" discussions about someone like him, at which point people will care about Tebow about as much as anyone cares about Vince Young now.

NBC and CBS are in a Tim Tebow tug-of-war.....

The Week 15 Sunday night NBC game is currently scheduled to be the Baltimore Ravens against the San Diego Chargers. NBC, despite the fact that the Chargers were so dazzlingly brilliant on Monday night, would like to exercise its flex scheduling option and show something else.

In this case, that something else is the New England Patriots vs. the Denver Broncos, or, as it will be hyped endlessly by NBC in the event that it get its paws on it, Tom Brady vs. Tim Tebow. The Golden Boy vs. The Chosen One is currently slated to air on CBS at 4:15 p.m. ET.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/NBC-and-CBS-are-in-a-Tim-Tebow-tug-of-war?urn=nfl-wp13351

The Week 15 Sunday night NBC game is currently scheduled to be the Baltimore Ravens against the San Diego Chargers. NBC, despite the fact that the Chargers were so dazzlingly brilliant on Monday night, would like to exercise its flex scheduling option and show something else.

In this case, that something else is the New England Patriots vs. the Denver Broncos, or, as it will be hyped endlessly by NBC in the event that it get its paws on it, Tom Brady vs. Tim Tebow. The Golden Boy vs. The Chosen One is currently slated to air on CBS at 4:15 p.m. ET.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/NBC-and-CBS-are-in-a-Tim-Tebow-tug-of-war?urn=nfl-wp13351

Either way, it's a heck of a Christmas story.

GO BILLS!!!

http://sports.yahoo....urn=nfl-wp13351

So the rules don't apply to the Pats....nothing new here!

Levity aside, this part seems like major b.s. to me:

The decisions on which games to protect had to be made months ago (pre-Tebow), so it probably didn't.

So NBC gets to wait until just a couple weeks out before deciding what to flex but CBS/FOX are stuck with their bad guess from 3 months ago on which game to protect? Score a W for the NBC lawyer who negotiated that paragraph.

There are definitely some Flutie-like comparisons, but you're bringing that up because he played for the Bills. And that was 13 years ago. The problem with all of this "winner" nonsense is there are about a dozen other guys between Flutie & Tebow who I remember hearing the same tired song & dance about, that the intangible-obsessed crowd has conveniently forgot about.

When Trent Dilfer was exiled from Baltimore he went to Seattle. Hasselbeck was losing, he got hurt, and Dilfer filled in to win a few games. People said Dilfer is a winner, and Holmgren is a stubborn fool for sticking by his guy he knew from GB.

The '06 Titans were 0-6 with Kerry Collins and finished up 8-8 with Vince Young, then went to the playoffs the following year. AND he won a nat'l championship - so he's obviously a winner and Collins is a loser. Guess which one was the QB two years later when they went 13-3? It wasn't the winner from Texas.

People say stuff like "Oh I'm sure it's a coincidence that the team is playing better now!". As if teams never play better or worse at different points in the year with the same QB. Like the '09 Broncos, who started 6-0 and finished 8-8, or the '86 Jets who started 10-1 and finished 10-6, or the '93 Oilers who started 1-4 and finished 12-4, or the '08 Bills, or the '11 Bills, or a zillion and one other teams.

If you want to draft Jordan Jefferson because he's a proven winner then I want you in the front office of 1 of my rivals. Five years from now we'll be having this same ridiculous "winner" discussions about someone like him, at which point people will care about Tebow about as much as anyone cares about Vince Young now.

So my Flutie-Tebow comparisons aren't good because of Trent Dilfer and Vince Young? And that it was 13 years ago and that Flutie played for the Bills?

That's an interesting counterpoint.

This is what I would say to that.

Flutie led Boston College to their first bowl appearance in 40 years. Actually their first 3 bowl appearances. He won the Heisman which I'm sure people will hold against him.

In the CFL, Flutie won 3 Grey Cup Championships, re-wrote the record books, and accumulated enough hardware to build a trophy room bigger than your house.

In the NFL, Flutie was dubbed "America's Favorite Midget" by either Ditka or Jim McMahon. In the years that followed that snub, Flutie wasn't given a legitimate chance to be an NFL starter until his 1998 season when Rob Johnson went 0-3.

Flutie finished his NFL career with a record of 38-28.

His BC teams weren't stacked with future NFLers like Vince Young's Texas squad.

He didn't play at a lower level of college football like Trent Dilfer who had a 55-58 NFL record as a starter.

My point?

Flutie is/was a legitimate winner… much more so than Vince Young or Trent Dilfer.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Week 15 flex decision ruffles some feathers within the league.

plenty of people around the league have a very strong opinion about the situation. As one source with one of the teams not directly involved in the situation explained it, the decision has sparked a significant amount of strongly-worded email traffic among executives with the various teams regarding the manner in which the league handled the decision not to shift New England at Denver from 4:15 p.m. ET to 8:20 p.m. ET.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/08/week-15-flex-decision-ruffles-some-feathers-within-the-league/

So my Flutie-Tebow comparisons aren't good because of Trent Dilfer and Vince Young? And that it was 13 years ago and that Flutie played for the Bills?

<Sigh> The obvious (or so I thought) point was that when people say "screw stats, X just wins", the 'winner' theory invariably is proven to be FOS in the long run. As it was with supposedly the best example of the last 13 years, who lost 9 consecutive games in San Diego and helped them land the top draft pick when he left a top defense in Buffalo.

His BC teams weren't stacked with future NFLers like Vince Young's Texas squad.

He didn't play at a lower level of college football like Trent Dilfer who had a 55-58 NFL record as a starter.

My point?

Flutie is/was a legitimate winner… much more so than Vince Young or Trent Dilfer.

I honestly think you're just making up distinctions to argue rather than really believe this. You have to come from a bigtime college program but not too bigtime where you have NFL teammates to qualify? C'mon man. Whatever, plenty of guys who never amounted to anything in the pros fit that bill too - Pat White, Graham Harrell, most Oregon, Va Tech & Boise QBs...Regardless, Florida's program was pretty comparable to Texas.

Edited by BuffOrange

<Sigh> The obvious (or so I thought) point was that when people say "screw stats, X just wins", the 'winner' theory invariably is proven to be FOS in the long run. As it was with supposedly the best example of the last 13 years, who lost 9 consecutive games in San Diego and helped them land the top draft pick when he left a top defense in Buffalo.

I honestly think you're just making up distinctions to argue rather than really believe this. You have to come from a bigtime college program but not too bigtime where you have NFL teammates to qualify? C'mon man. Whatever, plenty of guys who never amounted to anything in the pros fit that bill too - Pat White, Graham Harrell, most Oregon, Va Tech & Boise QBs...Regardless, Florida's program was pretty comparable to Texas.

My point is that IMO, Flutie was truly a winner. Certainly more so than the players you compared him to.

He lost some games at San Diego at the very end of his career.

His last season shouldn't obscure the fact that he was 38-28 as an NFL starter (including the 0-9 runup to retirement) after being derided, mocked, and disrespected for most of his career.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

!@#$ Tim Tebow. There, I said it and it felt good. And this is the last time I'm going to read this sorry-assed thread.

:lol: Don't worry I will let you know how it turns out. I'm sure plenty of people around here will be too busy wanking to the TT mags.