Demetrius Bell - Now an Eagle

I don't understand how last off season, people were dogging the Bills for not addressing the LT position as that was their considered by many to be their greatest need. Now all of a sudden the same LT we had then, who only played a partial season due to injuries last year, is able to shop around in FA. Was he only considered a crappy LT because he was in a Bills uniform last off season, and now that people can project him into another uniform, all of a sudden he's worth more?

The answer is demand. Do I think Bell is fantastic? No. But the fact of the matter is that we are short on choice. It essentially comes down to, "If we can't get Bell, what do we do?" The FA market for people to play at LT is pretty short this year, especially now that Peters has gone down for the Eagles which will increase demand. In the draft, after Matt Kalil, there does not seem to be an immediate starter. Martin might be a project, but if his combine showing is any indication he needs work. Not a writeoff, but needing work.

So even if we are alright with Hairston, I will not be surprised if any one of the 31 other teams out there are willing to take a reach. I would rather give him a very incentive based contract.

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The answer is demand. Do I think Bell is fantastic? No. But the fact of the matter is that we are short on choice. It essentially comes down to, "If we can't get Bell, what do we do?" The FA market for people to play at LT is pretty short this year, especially now that Peters has gone down for the Eagles which will increase demand. In the draft, after Matt Kalil, there does not seem to be an immediate starter. Martin might be a project, but if his combine showing is any indication he needs work. Not a writeoff, but needing work.

So even if we are alright with Hairston, I will not be surprised if any one of the 31 other teams out there are willing to take a reach. I would rather give him a very incentive based contract.

It might be time to move on from D.Bell. It appears the Bills have and lets face facts if they wanted him (bad enough), he would be here. He's a plug in player at this point and a liability for health reason more than an asset for the team.

He's been out there for a few weeks now. There is a reason he is not signed yet. Although being considered one of the better FA's at his position.

It might be time to move on from D.Bell. It appears the Bills have and lets face facts if they wanted him (bad enough), he would be here. He's a plug in player at this point and a liability for health reason more than an asset for the team.

He's been out there for a few weeks now. There is a reason he is not signed yet. Although being considered one of the better FA's at his position.

Oh, I wasn't saying we should keep him. I'm kind of ambivalent on that. I was responding to a poster who was questioning why I thought someone would take him.

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-center/videos/Bell-on-offseason-plans/6e82cfdf-38f2-4078-8db4-09a54d4be36c

In the video he sounds like he wants to be back in Buffalo. I'm sure his stock rose up a bit because of the lack of Tackles left in FA and the lack of Tackles coming up in the draft. I know it's a business and if I were Bell I would look at every single option to better my family and my own life before I "please my fans". But I'm sure at least keeping in contact with Buddy to update him would have been nice also. At least let him know what other teams are offering or something. I don't know. I'm definitely thinking from a fan's perspective but I feel like this situation looks as if we've mistreated Bell. It's not like we released him. Buddy clearly said he wants him back and offered something but didn't get a counter offer.

All I know is I love the uniform and not the player so if Bell signs elsewhere, I say "F" him. :censored:

http://www.buffalobi...b4-09a54d4be36c

In the video he sounds like he wants to be back in Buffalo. I'm sure his stock rose up a bit because of the lack of Tackles left in FA and the lack of Tackles coming up in the draft. I know it's a business and if I were Bell I would look at every single option to better my family and my own life before I "please my fans". But I'm sure at least keeping in contact with Buddy to update him would have been nice also. At least let him know what other teams are offering or something. I don't know. I'm definitely thinking from a fan's perspective but I feel like this situation looks as if we've mistreated Bell. It's not like we released him. Buddy clearly said he wants him back and offered something but didn't get a counter offer.

All I know is I love the uniform and not the player so if Bell signs elsewhere, I say "F" him. :censored:

Gailey said last week the Bills have been talking to Bell's agent all along.

Gailey said last week the Bills have been talking to Bell's agent all along.

Well then I have no answer. It's definitely something going on behind the curtains. I guess we cross our fingers and hope for the best. But if he signs elsewhere, "F" him is what I say and I'll ride with Hairston...

Well then I have no answer. It's definitely something going on behind the curtains. I guess we cross our fingers and hope for the best. But if he signs elsewhere, "F" him is what I say and I'll ride with Hairston...

I have no doubt that Bell was offered an incentive-laden contract with the presumption that he has to compete for the starting spot. And that the Bills are more than comfortable riding with Hairston.

If he signs elsewhere for more than the Bills are offering, more power to him.

I am ok with Bell, BUT THIS BELL TALK IS GETTING OLD The bills offered him a contract for what they thought he is worth!!!! What do you want Buddy to do OVERPAY a guy who didnt look much better than his backup??

If he is that good other teams would not hesitate to get him signed!!

Edited by artmalibu

I am ok with Bell, BUT THIS BELL TALK IS GETTING OLD The bills offered him a contract for what they thought he is worth!!!! What do you want Buddy to do OVERPAY a guy who didnt look much better than his backup??

If he is that good other teams would not hesitate to get him signed!!

The whole Bell talk may be getting old to you but you'll be talking different once the season starts and you wonder why the offense keeps going three and out. Having Bell and putting Hairston at RT only makes us better than we are today...

I think that Nix and Bells agent have an agreement to stay in touch and let them know what Bells offers are....this actually feels a little like the Meechum thing.....the bills have a dollar figure in their head about what Bell is worth.....if Bell gets more from another team then the Bills will say Chgood luck....

Right now I am thinking Chris Hairston is next years left tackle starter and since I like Hairston.....I dont think we are in a bad position.

The whole Bell talk may be getting old to you but you'll be talking different once the season starts and you wonder why the offense keeps going three and out. Having Bell and putting Hairston at RT only makes us better than we are today...

Why, did the offense struggle with Hairston in there?

Thats why when bell was healthy at the end of the year he sat on the bench while Hairston started. When a rookie can come in without a true off-season and look as good as the 3 year pro why should the bills OVERPAY for a guy who cant count on staying healthy.

Now you want to take Pears off the field!!! His play was good all year long.

Like Marve always said if you listen to the people in the stands it won't be long and you'll be sitting with them. But, then again a lot of people around here think they know more about football and football players than Chan and Buddy.

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-center/videos/Bell-on-offseason-plans/6e82cfdf-38f2-4078-8db4-09a54d4be36c

I believe that in this draft there is a lack of BLUE CHIP TALENT at the Tackle position, but it is a tackle rich draft. The question to answer for the Bills: Is any of the tackles on their draft board better than Bell. If they convince themselves so, then they will draft. The Tackle doesn't have to come from the 1st round. He could be from 2nd or 3rd round too.

Bell did not like the contract offer from the Bills so wanted to check out FA. He is entitled to that. The first wave produced nothing, most probably because

a) Most of the teams have a starting LT

b) Interested teams were not willing to offer him a starter-type 30-40M Contract due to his injury history.

Typically in this situation, the player (due to Ego) will never sign back with the Original team (that gives all leverage back to the Bills). Instead, they will go and sign a 1-year incentive based deal to get them another year and then hope for the big contract next year. A desperate team like the Steelers or Eagles will definitely be one of those teams that will rent him for a year.

LOL - Jason Peters on the brain I guess?

I was on sudafed, and a bunch of allergy stuff. I wrote ESPN revified that he was injured and accidently left it to look as if bell signed with philly.