Demetrius Bell - Now an Eagle

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe it would be in the best interest of the team to re-sign Demetrius Bell, our starting left tackle from last season. Our offensive line really worked well together, even with the rash of injuries, giving up the fewest sacks I can recall in recent memory. It would also stop the decade long "develope and watch them leave" approach to our left tackle position. We can then use our draft to build up our depth at linebacker, cornerback, wide receiver, and tackle. Heck, we can throw in a few more pass dusters while we're at it. I wouldn't mind seeing Floyd or Kirkpatrick picked at 10 if we're not sold on the available tackles.

Bell? The guy is hurt every year for long periods of time. I suppose we should re-sign Roscoe too. Bell's time in Buffalo is over unless nobody wants him and we get him back CHEAP.

You're being selective in your audit.

If you took every highly drafted OT over the last 5 years, you'd see that the success rate has been about 50%.

Not even.

Even Scouts who love Reiff (like Mayock) question whether or not he'll ever be a LT in the NFL...Trade down or not, I just can't see Drafting a Kid in the 1st Round if The Bills are not 100% sure he will be a LT...And it seems not many are 100% sure Reiff will be a LT... B-)

I agree. Even if they were to trade down, there's no assurance he'll be a competent LT. And that's the problem with everyone not named Kalil. And even he may turn out to be a bust.

I am for re-signing Bell....

....but I absolutely against using the draft for toys.

We did that with Roscoe Parrish, Kyle Everett, etc.....although I am still a fan of the Spiller pick.

Drafting solidly now, is how we avoid what we had to do from 2005-2010....which is hoping we can draft 5 starters from our top 5 picks. :wallbash:

I'd like to get back to "normal" where your draft picks have a chance to be rookies, not starters, learn the game, routine etc.

If we lose Bell, then we have think Hairston is the stater, and we're back on the bad cycle. And, now, who is the back up OT? The roster says we have 2. That's not good.

In fact, rather than looking for toys, if we don't sign Bell, don't we have to consider drafting a T 2 times in the first 3 rounds?

That's a reach, 5 for 5...Last years draft, out of 9 picks, yielded 8 active roster players and 1 PS. Out of the 8, 3 are full time starters and another 2 are major contributers...of the remaining 3, 2 are excellent special teamers and a yet to be determined 3rd RB.

I'd be happy with a repeat draft.

Bell or no Bell, there is no way they take 2 OT's in the first 3 rounds. Not saying they won't take 2 in the draft.

Thank goodness there was almost nothing of substance in his post.

He said that he doesn't think the market for Bell will dry up.

Some would say that it already has.

Still holding out hope…

I mentioned that in the shout box earlier. If he isn't signed by the draft, he almost has to come back. Unless he is in negotiations with the 'Skins and no one knows about it to report it, I have no idea what else he is waiting for.

Still holding out hope…

Bell sure does not seem to be garnering the kind of interst one might think he would, for all the talk about the one free agent whoi is a pure LT.

I am very surprised he is not signed anywhere yet and outside of a couple of visits, there seems t be 0 interest in him.

He must be holding our for more money than anyone is willing to give him. Someone has to tell him that he's a former 7th round, always injured scrub whose success is mostly due to Fitz's quick decision making ability. He's not an elite LT and everyday that goes by, he's likely going to get less money. In fact, for this he should fire his agent. Bell's likely his only player and he though he'd hit pay dirt by gaining an LT as an agent.

Still holding out hope…

Totally agree...

I think Bell is finding out that NFL Teams have tape on him...They've watched the tape...And it's not just as easy as saying "I'm an NFL LT" in order to get paid the big bucks...You have to be able to stay healthy and play with a TON of consistency...If he knew what was good for his career he would re-sign for a year with The Bills, and hope he does not get hurt again...A 15-16 game Season as a Starter at LT would do wonders for his contract expectations... B-)

and somewhere in his brain, i hope he understands that he has the BEST chance to start at LT with the BILLS.

I hope he crealizes that abd signs a incentive laden two year contract and prove himself.

:thumbsup:

true about Smith and Manning.

but Bell had Zona look at him eand then re-sign Brown,

Redskins are th eonly other team to have him in, that i am aware of. He left D.C w/o a contract.

Has to make you wonder if he is being stubborn/getting bad advice, or has not seen anything better then the Bills offer.

I think he likely hasn't seen anything better than the Bills offer.

You're being selective in your audit.

If you took every highly drafted OT over the last 5 years, you'd see that the success rate has been about 50%.

Isn't that true for just about every highly drafted position?

https://twitter.com/...273148861947904

FWIW: The #Redskins are still talking to OT Demetrius Bell (well, maybe not right at this minute). Still interest. Other teams interested 2.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, in 2010 the Redskins drafted Trent Williams in the 1st round to be their franchise LT.

This was before the rookie salary cap so doubt they're paying him peanuts. What was he, 6th overall?

I don't think the 'skins are looking at Bell as their LT. Williams got injured, but so has Bell, and everything I've heard when Williams was in there sounds highly positive for a rookie. I think they feel they're set at LT

Jammal Brown at RT has been more of a question mark. He's been injured a lot.

It would seem to me that the 'skins would be interested in Bell as a competitor for starting RT and a quality backup tackle. But do you go out and pay the big bucks to replace an injury-prone RT with an injury-prone LT who might be able to play RT? I don't think so. You make him an offer appropriate for a backup tackle, if he says "I have more on the table from B'lo" you say "good for you!"

Long term, the money for RT or for a backup is less than the money for a starting LT. So even if B'lo is low-balling Bell as a starting LT, that could easily be ahead of what the 'skins are offering for a potential backup.

Bell isn't gone yet.

Nothing to see here, move along.

I believe it would be in the best interest of the team to re-sign Demetrius Bell, our starting left tackle from last season. Our offensive line really worked well together, even with the rash of injuries, giving up the fewest sacks I can recall in recent memory. It would also stop the decade long "develope and watch them leave" approach to our left tackle position. We can then use our draft to build up our depth at linebacker, cornerback, wide receiver, and tackle. Heck, we can throw in a few more pass dusters while we're at it. I wouldn't mind seeing Floyd or Kirkpatrick picked at 10 if we're not sold on the available tackles.

I also am opposed to the "draft toys" philosophy. That said, I don't equate drafting quality LB, WR, and CB with "toys". I don't see a need to draft DT, but OT, again, even if we do sign Bell I'm for it.

I would like the team to re-sign Bell for reasonable money. He's been injured 1/3 of his career, and while he did step up last year, it sort of seemed like he had to be scared into it.

Our team gave up few sacks, but again - does that have to do with the line, or with quick decisions/release and reasonable mobility (in the 1st half) from our QB?

We did NOT lead the league in QB hits - we were decidedly mediocre, mid-pack there which would seem to argue for the :"quick decisions" theory.

Again, I'd like to see him be re-signed, but I don't think he's built a resume justifying "Franchise LT" money. If he were less injured, and a bit more consistent then, yes.

Edited by Hopeful

I don't recall where I read it, maybe it was on GR, but in the last few days I read a blurb that the Bills offer to Bell was only for the veteran minimum. IF true, and I have no idea if it is, that would explain 1] Why the Bills haven't heard back from Bell and his agent, I'm sure they were offended, and 2] why from what Buscaglia was hearing, he doesn't expect Bell back on the BIlls.

It doesn't rule Bell out of course, and I very much doubt Bell has any kind of good offer from the Redskins or a starting job, so he could still come back. I would like the Bills to re-sign him even if they end up spending the #10 on a LT. But Chan and Buddy do like their tackles big and Bell does not and will not fit that bill. They may have just moved on from him.

I don't recall where I read it, maybe it was on GR, but in the last few days I read a blurb that the Bills offer to Bell was only for the veteran minimum. IF true, and I have no idea if it is, that would explain 1] Why the Bills haven't heard back from Bell and his agent, I'm sure they were offended, and 2] why from what Buscaglia was hearing, he doesn't expect Bell back on the BIlls.

I found that report here:

The Bills made Bell a contract offer, but it may have only been for the league minimum. Buscaglia, who has a good grasp on Bills matters, bases his opinion on "things I've been hearing." At this point, Bell obviously won't get a big contract. But he'd be a worthwhile addition on a short-term, prove-it deal. Mar 23 - 3:56 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4958/demetrius-bell

BUT

The blurb from rotoworld sources Buscaglia with the report. But when you read Buscaglia's linked story it mentions nothing about Buffalo's contract offer to Bell. http://wgr550.com/Moving-on-from-Bell-/9034669?pid=228182

So I'm guessing this is speculation by whomever wrote it at rotoworld.

Edited by Carey Bender

I found that report here:

http://www.rotoworld.../demetrius-bell

BUT

The blurb from rotoworld sources Buscaglia with the report. But when you read Buscaglia's linked story it mentions nothing about Buffalo's contract offer to Bell. http://wgr550.com/Mo...4669?pid=228182

So I'm guessing this is speculation by whomever wrote it at rotoworld.

Rotoworld is a fantasy site as most know, and they do little to no reporting themselves, but to me they are very rarely wrong. The editors there are really good. They didn't just make up the speculation and it likely did not come from a flimsy source. I'm not saying the veteran minimum thing is set in stone but i tend to believe it for now until I learn differently, and it would explain a lot.

and somewhere in his brain, i hope he understands that he has the BEST chance to start at LT with the BILLS.

I hope he crealizes that abd signs a incentive laden two year contract and prove himself.

I hope your right. I think OT is too much of a question mark in this draft. A lot of them seem average but are being touted as 1st rounders simply because of team needs. I'd rather take one of the two stud LB's who will be available at 10, and take an OT later in the draft. I like Floyd, but taking one of the stud LB's who can start from day one will seal the front 7 in terms of dominance. And there are other solid WR's later in the draft.