Smart Cars

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now we are getting to the crux of the issue.

No, they didn't... But common sense did. Yet, morons like you will still be driving in 15 years when they are old and decrepit... Something will have to be mandated against your dumb Boomer arse... It is only 13 short years away. I don't want your stupid arse relying on turning your old head. :nana: :nana:

NOW we're getting to the crux of the issue?? That was the whole point of my OP. :wallbash:

I'll be driving !@#$ing circles around your ass when I'm 90 you wuss. By then I'll have spent nearly 70 years driving CA freeways.

I love your obsession with boomers. It's pretty funny.

But my eyes are already paid for and I have insurance incase the break down.

I'm not uupset about new technology in cars. I think back up cameras are an unneccessary cost and just something else to break. It's the government wanting to mandate that all cars come equiped with them by 2014.

are you sure you're not upset- your jumpy fingers say you are

This is the worst idea since they mandated those goddamn rear windows. What, side windows and a windshield aren't enough? Like I can't stick my freakin head out the window? Morons...

Don't get me started on that damned newfangled rear-view mirror tech! Our government is clearly in the pocket of Big Reflector.

So the government mandated windows and mirrors in cars or did the industry just decide to go that way?

This is the worst idea since they mandated those goddamn rear windows. What, side windows and a windshield aren't enough? Like I can't stick my freakin head out the window? Morons...

Don't get me started on that damned newfangled rear-view mirror tech! Our government is clearly in the pocket of Big Reflector.

Damn mandated brake lights... Can't they just see my 50 year old arm (with suntanned "car arm," sans A/C) making a hand signal!

Brake light bulbs are so expensive... Clearly in the pocket of Big Bulb Phillips!

So the government mandated windows and mirrors in cars or did the industry just decide to go that way?

Passenger side mirrors... Yes. Brake and turn signals yes... Not sure about windows... But safety glass on the windshield yes. Heck, almost everything that is street legal is mandated. Yet, I can take the doors off my Jeep... BUT I have to have my mirrors on... So I have them attached to "mirror movers" (attaches to the body, not door).

Stuckincincy Chef Jim is all fired up today.

Probably got a stain on his sweater vest.

FWIW, the Santorum campaign has sold over 3,000 sweater vests.

Take that, JA.

NOW we're getting to the crux of the issue?? That was the whole point of my OP. :wallbash:

I'll be driving !@#$ing circles around your ass when I'm 90 you wuss. By then I'll have spent nearly 70 years driving CA freeways.

I love your obsession with boomers. It's pretty funny.

Yeah right old man! In your dreams...

Seriously... Not an obsession... It is a fact that the country will have to deal with a booming number of gray hairs in the next 10-20 years. That is a safety fact. With age comes decreased driving ability... Even for hotshot Cheffy Monster the extrovert bully.

Yeah right old man! In your dreams...

Seriously... Not an obsession... It is a fact that the country will have to deal with a booming number of gray hairs in the next 10-20 years. That is a safety fact. With age comes decreased driving ability... Even for hotshot Cheffy Monster the extrovert bully.

Yes we'll have to deal with it and the're is not a damn thing you can do about it. Quit your crying and deal with it. Better yet, figure a way to get rich off it.

BTW when I'm 90 you'll be a ****ty driving pamper wearing 83 year old yourself.

Edited by Chef Jim

When they take cell phones out of cars, Im done. THATS the one thats over the line, IMO. Handsfree device, especially one integrated into the car does not require you remove your hands from the wheel or your eyes from the road to operate. If you cant handle speaking and driving, while maintaining two hands on the wheel and two eyes on the road, you deserve to be killed. Violently.

I'm going from memory here, but I believe that when they req. air bags on cars it added about 1500 bucks to the cost of the car when they first came out.

Here's the difference. How many lives did those things save? How many lives are back up cameras going to save?

When they take cell phones out of cars, Im done. THATS the one thats over the line, IMO. Handsfree device, especially one integrated into the car does not require you remove your hands from the wheel or your eyes from the road to operate. If you cant handle speaking and driving, while maintaining two hands on the wheel and two eyes on the road, you deserve to be killed. Violently.

I am not advocating for the government intervention that annoys Jim like those "meddling kids" but it's interesting that when you're on the phone, you lose a lot more focus than when you're talking to someone who's there with you. Something about talking on the phone, even hands-free, is more distracting by a ton than talking to a person who's right there.

Here's a little Q&A on point . I can't find the article I read that in. Makes sense to me.

In part because this mental disconnect is dangerous in itself, hands-free cellphones are no safer than hand-held devices, according to Teater.

"There's no difference between hand-held and hands-free," he says, in a way that implies "hands-down."

When conversing with someone on the phone, you can't see how they're responding to what you're saying. Without visual cues such as facial expressions, a nod of the head, raised eyebrows, a certain "look" in the eye — basically how they're relating to your words — your brain has to make up lost ground.

Edited by John Adams

Damn mandated brake lights... Can't they just see my 50 year old arm (with suntanned "car arm," sans A/C) making a hand signal!

Brake light bulbs are so expensive... Clearly in the pocket of Big Bulb Phillips!

You think cars had no windows, brake lights, blinkers, mirrors before they were mandated? Let the market determine these features and then they will be on all cars due to demand. If all cars come with cameras because everyone wants them I'll have no choice and will go along with the majority. I just really dislike the goverment telling me what features are best for me and my family.

I am not advocating for the government intervention that annoys Jim like those "meddling kids" but it's interesting that when you're on the phone, you lose a lot more focus than when you're talkign to someone who's there with you. Something about talking on the one, even hands-free, is more distracting by a ton than talking to a person who's right there.

Here's a little Q&A on point . I can't find the article I read that in. Makes sense to me.

I agree with this. For some reason the mind focuses more on the person you're talking to over the phone and not the road. If I'm talking to someone sitting next to me or even in the back seat I can still talk and focus on the road. Not the same when I'm on the phone. You're imagining them in your mind. I missed an exit once talkng on the phone. That had nothing to do with whether or not both my hands were on the wheel.