Celtic Woman

plenzmd1

Long story, but my wife and I went to the Celtic Woman show in Richmond last night. Holy crimminy, i have not seen such schlock and chessiness sinse I went to see TSO a few years back(sorry Fez). No soul, no heart, Danny Boy as a traditional Irish Standard????..some little bleach blond chick running all over the stage and throwing her hair around all over..i mean WTF???? At least she had some energy though.

Then they brutalize a couple of modern tunes..one in particular a song Van Morrison did with the Chieftans way back when. Towards the end the show they did a nice job singing "I Dreamed a Dream" and "Circle of Life" as a tribute to Broadway. They also had a guy who did a nice job on the Uilleann Pipe and the Tin Whistle..but they never let him play enough.

To the end the show, they decide to murder The Parting Glass...wow..how supposedly smart people, who watch PBS, like this pablum is beyond me.

Just post this as a public service..as if you like Celtic music..do not even think of going to see them

Long story, but my wife and I went to the Celtic Woman show in Richmond last night. Holy crimminy, i have not seen such schlock and chessiness sinse I went to see TSO a few years back(sorry Fez). No soul, no heart, Danny Boy as a traditional Irish Standard????..some little bleach blond chick running all over the stage and throwing her hair around all over..i mean WTF???? At least she had some energy though.

Then they brutalize a couple of modern tunes..one in particular a song Van Morrison did with the Chieftans way back when. Towards the end the show they did a nice job singing "I Dreamed a Dream" and "Circle of Life" as a tribute to Broadway. They also had a guy who did a nice job on the Uilleann Pipe and the Tin Whistle..but they never let him play enough.

To the end the show, they decide to murder The Parting Glass...wow..how supposedly smart people, who watch PBS, like this pablum is beyond me.

Just post this as a public service..as if you like Celtic music..do not even think of going to see them

Any hot redheads?

anybody hear the npr interview with the founder of the chieftans? 50 years! recorded with all kinds of musicians. i was very interested in his comments about country musicians. he said playing with them was like playing with friends and family. a few bars and a key and they were off. by exclusion, i think he was saying some other genres musicians weren't as quick a study. fascinating interview. i would love to see them live.

Edited by birdog1960

anybody hear the npr interview with the founder of the chieftans? 50 years! recorded with all kinds of musicians. i was very interested in his comments about country musicians. he said playing with them was like playing with friends and family. a few bars and a key and they were off. by exclusion, i think he was saying some other genres musicians weren't as quick a study. fascinating interview. i would love to see them live.

lordy are the majority of those guys still alive? Last time I saw them was like 95 at the Kennedy Center with Nanci Griffiths, and they were old then. But damn they were a fun concert...the

My wife who plays violin hates Celtic Woman. We had the pleasure of seeing

front row at a small club and then the next night at a rowdy Irish Pub here in SF a couple of years ago. Fantastic!! Edited by Chef Jim

That is the sad thing...when I hear people say they "hate" country music, I take it to mean, they wouldn't know what country music is...they are assuming it is what is marketed to them as country music (Taylor Swift, and all that non-sense)... and I assume it is much the same for Celtic music... I have worked in record stores (part or full time) for about 25 years...typically, when somebody comes in and says they want "traditional Irish music", what they really want is crap like Celtic Women, or, Enya... traditinal Irish music scares them off...

My wife who plays violin hates Celtic Woman. We had the pleasure of seeing

front row at a small club and then the next night at a rowdy Irish Pub here in SF a couple of years ago. Fantastic!!

They were nice, althought not familiar with them . My mother in law thought she was buying me tickets to see Cherish the Ladies, who i love, have all their albums, and have seen several times. Did not have he heart to tell her wrong tickets, so we just went

http://www.cherishtheladies.com/videospage.htm

That is the sad thing...when I hear people say they "hate" country music, I take it to mean, they wouldn't know what country music is...they are assuming it is what is marketed to them as country music (Taylor Swift, and all that non-sense)... and I assume it is much the same for Celtic music... I have worked in record stores (part or full time) for about 25 years...typically, when somebody comes in and says they want "traditional Irish music", what they really want is crap like Celtic Women, or, Enya... traditinal Irish music scares them off...

i must confess, 25 years ago i thought trad was defined by The Clancy Brothers...but there is so much great trad coming out he last 15 years or so

Edited by plenzmd1

It was like sitting in his living room with the stories he told before each tune.

That is the great thing if you like music like this..they often play just pubs that can seat 200-300 or other small venues. I do not go out to concerts as often now as when I lived in DC,but to see these types of bands and then drink with them at the bar after the performance was more the norm than the exception.

Prooly saw Cherish the Ladies 4 times at a small Irish pub in Bethesda called Mulligans..maybe 200 people at the show at most. They always stayed around after to talk and tip a few.

It was like sitting in his living room with the stories he told before each tune.

I can relate with this true story. I got to see Spencer Bohren in a living room with about 10-15 people total. I was house sitting for this guy, who knew Spencer, and when he saw Spencer was going to be in the area with an opening on his tour, he asked him to come by and do a "concert" at his house.

I can relate with this true story. I got to see Spencer Bohren in a living room with about 10-15 people total. I was house sitting for this guy, who knew Spencer, and when he saw Spencer was going to be in the area with an opening on his tour, he asked him to come by and do a "concert" at his house.

That reminds of

I was at few years ago.

Ok, I wasn't really there. :devil:

Long story, but my wife and I went to the Celtic Woman show in Richmond last night. Holy crimminy, i have not seen such schlock and chessiness sinse I went to see TSO a few years back(sorry Fez).

I really like TSO's first album, but their live shows take the cake when it comes to schlock and cheesiness.

that dude looks cool..do you have any of his albums?