Malia and Posse's Excellent Mexican Vacation

From AP:

"U.S. President Barack Obama's oldest daughter, Malia, was reported safe while on vacation with a school group in Oaxaca. "

Why should it matter? Are first children supposed to hide in a cocoon for the tenure of their parent's term? There are a few things that are a given - Secret Service protection for First Family, and then lifetime protection after office. I have no problem with that. There are far bigger fish to fry.

I said if it was a school trip it was a completeley different story and I even said she has a right to her childhood. The article I read and linked to here made no mention of it being a school trip per below:

Politics

First Daughters Spring Break is Not News, Until Earthquake Strikes

By Chris Ariens on March 20, 2012 3:33 PM

Drudge Report is making a big deal today about how the White House had asked U.S. media organizations to not cover Malia Obamas Spring Break trip to Oaxaca, Mexico. A search through TVEyes shows no U.S. TV network has covered the pre-teens trip. Politico reports several websites have scrubbed stories about the trip from their websites after being asked to do so. A White House spokesperson says:

From the beginning of the administration, the White House has asked news outlets not to report on or photograph the Obama children when they are not with their parents and there is no vital news interest. We have reminded outlets of this request in order to protect the privacy and security of these girls.

But things changed this afternoon when a 7.6 earthquake struck near Acapulco in the state of Guerrero, which shares a border with Oaxaca. The White House quickly released this statement:

In light of todays earthquake, we can confirm that Malia Obama is safe and was never in danger

As for the earthquake, Mexican President Felipe Calderon wrote on Twitter that there is no immediate reports of damage. The BBCs Will Grant, in Mexico City, reports buildings swayed for at least a minute.

Edited by 3rdnlng

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The issue is not these kids taking a trip.

Its that their father portrays any private citizen who has the means and does the same thing as "greedy" and "evil" and someone who, instead of sending their kids to a luxury resport on a private jet, should instead be giving that money to the Government becuase thats the "fair" thing to do.

All Presidental families go on lavish vacations. But its only THIS First Family that partys every other week, dines on whatever they want, and jets around the globe on their own private four engine jetliner...all while EXPECTING AND MANDATING the rest of us slobs to stay home alone sitting under a compact flourescent lamp eating FDA appoved 'pink slime.'

Edited by RkFast

I have zero issue with the Secret Service. My point was with the kids "jetting off" with friends for spring break in Mexico at the age of 13. But if it was a school trip that's different. But what's with kids taking those kinds of trips these days. I have friends whose kids have got to France, England, Ireland for school trips. We went to the Buffalo Zoo or Letchworth and loved it! :lol:

You didn't have to deal with Koga the gorilla! :P

Anyway... I suppose it like everything else through the years... People think they have to "grow" "expand"... Be extroverted... That restlessness is past down to the children who have to do the next best, bigger thing. Why can't we all take a step back?

I guess they (Obama's child) are not introverts:

The Power of Introverts

"...Susan Cain charts the rise of the Extrovert Ideal in the twentieth century and explores its far-reaching effects. She talks to Asian-American students who feel alienated from the brash, backslapping atmosphere of American schools. She questions the dominant values of American business culture, where forced collaboration can stand in the way of innovation, and where the leadership potential of introverts is often overlooked. And she draws on cutting-edge research in psychology and neuroscience to reveal the surprising differences between extroverts and introverts..."

"If the task of the first half of life is to put yourself out there, the task of the second half is to make sense of where you've been."

The issue is not these kids taking a trip.

Its that their father portrays any private citizen who has the means and does the same thing as "greedy" and "evil" and someone who, instead of sending their kids to a luxury resport on a private jet, should instead be giving that money to the Government becuase thats the "fair" thing to do.

All Presidental families go on lavish vacations. But its only THIS First Family that partys every other week, dines on whatever they want, and jets around the globe on their own private four engine jetliner...all while EXPECTING AND MANDATING the rest of us slobs to stay home alone sitting under a compact flourescent lamp eating FDA appoved 'pink slime.'

And people felt the same way back in the 1930's... Why is today any different... Things have always been lavish... Just put it into the perspective of the times. It is no different. I do understand that liberals SHOULD be taken more to task about this, and rightly so. Same with the Kennedy's. We do live in a time of MORE jealous people because we are a more individualistic society that is forced to be more extroverted.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I have zero issue with the Secret Service. My point was with the kids "jetting off" with friends for spring break in Mexico at the age of 13. But if it was a school trip that's different. But what's with kids taking those kinds of trips these days. I have friends whose kids have got to France, England, Ireland for school trips. We went to the Buffalo Zoo or Letchworth and loved it! :lol:

Thanks to the evil corporate overlords, international travel is now within reach of the peasant class. I guarantee you that a trip to Oaxaca is much cheaper than a trip to Disneyworld, and probably a lot more enriching to a 13-yr old.

Thanks to the evil corporate overlords, international travel is now within reach of the peasant class. I guarantee you that a trip to Oaxaca is much cheaper than a trip to Disneyworld, and probably a lot more enriching to a 13-yr old.

Oaxaca is a great place. Very clean and a great cultural history. Just try not to pay attention to the guys with the machine guns. :lol:

Oaxaca is a great place. Very clean and a great cultural history. Just try not to pay attention to the guys with the machine guns. :lol:

No blood for drugs.

Oh wait.