Trayvon Martin Case

fjl2nd

Once able to get past the initial over reaction to the case it appears that race was not so much a problem in the incident so much as stupidity. In the end I can't get past the fact that he followed Martin, and if the girlfriend is telling the truth, was not just walking back to his car when the scuffle started.

Other things that have to be looked at in before making another rush to judgment in looking at this video is that Zimmerman had received medical treatment before being brought to the police station. His nose was probably cleaned up as well as the back of his head.

Not just you, but I think people in general are clinging to that tidbit to defend their initial position. Granted it's an aggravating circumstance for Zimmerman's case, no question, but in and of itself doesn't mean much. If not for the racial element this wouldn't be a national story and there wouldn't be anywhere near this level of outrage, rush to judgment, or derelict reporting.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not just you, but I think people in general are clinging to that tidbit to defend their initial position. Granted it's an aggravating circumstance for Zimmerman's case, no question, but in and of itself doesn't mean much. If not for the racial element this wouldn't be a national story and there wouldn't be anywhere near this level of outrage, rush to judgment, or derelict reporting.

I'll grant you the 1st 2, but see no reason to think that any reporting this story got wouldn't have been derelict even without the racial tones.

I'm not going after you for posting it. I'm just sickened by the whole situation, particularly the media coverage. It's really bothering me. There is plenty of evidence that we've cited and discussed in this thread that has been available for days, in many instances weeks, that never gets mentioned in these "updates". There's a concerted effort to cast this story in a particlar light regardless of the facts. They want this to be racial SO badly even if it isn't. This story is just another example.

I actually find it hard to believe that WBEN just aired (well, actually it's still on now) a special program from ABC News about this, and everybody is talking still about skittles etc.

The MC asked some musician named Q Tip (I think he was Tribe called Quest?) what he thought when he heard that Trayvon Martin was murdered. (I'm figuring the answer is Who?). He said he was exas-turbated.

Regardless of the fact that this would not have blown up if not for the racial issue, the fact is, it has become a national story and has shown a spotlight on the whole issue of "stand your ground" laws that have to be addressed.

We have a similar law in AZ and the way it is written, a person can start a fight, and if the person he started a fight with tried to fight back, kill them, claim self defense, and then the state has to prove that it wasn't.

I'm not going after you for posting it. I'm just sickened by the whole situation, particularly the media coverage. It's really bothering me. There is plenty of evidence that we've cited and discussed in this thread that has been available for days, in many instances weeks, that never gets mentioned in these "updates". There's a concerted effort to cast this story in a particlar light regardless of the facts. They want this to be racial SO badly even if it isn't. This story is just another example.

Humanity seems to live to place blame and jump to conclusions based on little or nothing. It's sickening.

Even if George Zimmerman is completely innocent, he'll have to look over his shoulder for the rest of his life. People should be !@#$ing ashamed of themselves.

They released the video of his arrest at the police station and he sure doesn't look beat up at all, no broken nose no injury on back of his said as I can see, not best camera, anyhow

You have great vision, then.

"This video was taken after he had received medical treatment"

BFBF--I give you credit for this post.

Edited by 3rdnlng

No, if the media couldn't make this racial, we wouldn't know anything about it.

Didn't say that it would have made national news. But do you have any reason to believe that even if this only ended up in the Sanford Bee Police Blotter the reporting wouldn't have been derelict?

Didn't say that it would have made national news. But do you have any reason to believe that even if this only ended up in the Sanford Bee Police Blotter the reporting wouldn't have been derelict?

Who knows? But I'm sure you will agree (unless you live in Sanford) that we wouldn't have even heard about it if someome didn't pick it up and make it racial. It was something for the Reverends Jesse and Al to keep themselves in the spotlight.

Humanity seems to live to place blame and jump to conclusions based on little or nothing. It's sickening.

Even if George Zimmerman is completely innocent, he'll have to look over his shoulder for the rest of his life. People should be !@#$ing ashamed of themselves.

Obama, the democrats, much of the media, and every black activist is convinced this is Rodney King 2012. Even if Zimmerman's version is the truth, I worry investigators will declare him guilty anyways.

Edited by GaryPinC

Who knows? But I'm sure you will agree (unless you live in Sanford) that we wouldn't have even heard about it if someome didn't pick it up and make it racial. It was something for the Reverends Jesse and Al to keep themselves in the spotlight.

Which part of '(d)idn't say that it would have made national news' was the part that implied it would have been national news? :unsure:

My comment was directly related to the quality of reporting in general. Thus, the comment 'but see no reason to think that any reporting this story got wouldn't have been derelict even without the racial tones' in my prior post which Rob was referring to. I'm not certain what portion of that statement implies that the story would have been national either. <_<

Unless somehow a reference to a paper such as the 'Sanford Bee' rather than such minor operations like the Orlando Sentinel or USA Today would connote a national presence. :doh:

Which part of '(d)idn't say that it would have made national news' was the part that implied it would have been national news? :unsure:

My comment was directly related to the quality of reporting in general. Thus, the comment 'but see no reason to think that any reporting this story got wouldn't have been derelict even without the racial tones' in my prior post which Rob was referring to. I'm not certain what portion of that statement implies that the story would have been national either. <_<

Unless somehow a reference to a paper such as the 'Sanford Bee' rather than such minor operations like the Orlando Sentinel or USA Today would connote a national presence. :doh:

I'm guessing we don't disagree, but didn't communicate well. The media is the driving force here, right?

I'm guessing we don't disagree, but didn't communicate well. The media is the driving force here, right?

Of course it is. The story was a month old before any of us heard about it, and then we only did because the media picked it up off of Facebook and made it important.

It's called MEDIA MALPRACTICE. I should know, I used to work in the media. What you watch/read now is not journalism. It's editorial news. You have anchors, pundits, and journalists that tell you how to interpret the events of the day.

Of course it is. The story was a month old before any of us heard about it, and then we only did because the media picked it up off of Facebook and made it important.

Well, the guy did kill the President's son after all.