Nice quote from Wannstedt on the defense

Nice to have a competent coach on that side of the ball again...

Whatever the potential is of this defense, Wanny will get it out of them.

When was the last time the Bills had a defensive coordinator with established credentials? Wannedstedt as DC is a almost a big deal to me, as the signing of Mario Williams. Now, I don't want him to be our head coach...but as DC, he makes me feel a lot better about that side of the field.

When was the last time the Bills had a defensive coordinator with established credentials? Wannedstedt as DC is a almost a big deal to me, as the signing of Mario Williams. Now, I don't want him to be our head coach...but as DC, he makes me feel a lot better about that side of the field.

Amen. I'd say it's been since Dick LeBeau that we've had someone with a solid resume. I know he wasn't the DC in title, but in practice he was clearly in control to a large degree. I don't think Wanny is as innovative as LeBeau, but he's a very good DC with a track record. I wasn't terribly unhappy with Fewell, but Wanny is an upgrade for sure.

I don't expect us to have the best D in the league this season, but I bet we'll look a helluva lot better than we have.

Edited by ajzepp

Wade Phillips. I didn't say LeBeau because he wasn't listed as a DC, he was some kind of defensive assistant.

so why does Chan get a free pass for hiring a buffoon to run the defense and then another free pass when he kept him for a 2nd year?

These kinds of redundant posts are just mind-numbing and draining....I'm not saying there isn't a comment that hasn't already been made about every single subject surrounding the NFL, but I'm sick of listening to things like this...to Spartacus, dude, I know you're frustrated....I know it was hard to watch and I know the whole, "it shouldn't take three years to build a team" mantra, but let's re-frame history in the proper perspective. First, George Edwards had ALREADY agreed to be the Defensive Coordinator for the Championship Florida Gators when he left that team to come to Buffalo, so calling him a "buffoon" is not only basely and personal, it is factually inaccurate and quite frankly, just mean....I realize we all hold serious personal opinions about the BILLS, if we weren't rabid fans - we wouldn't be spending our time writing things like these, so I get it...but there's no need to make your professional opinion of George Edwards so malicious....save those kinds of comments for individuals who have earned it based upon their behavior and point it to their behavior, ala Ben Rothelisberger and rape accusations or clubbing it and causing problems with women, or the dunce that was arrested for dealing cocaine who was with the Bears last year and the Cowboys previously, those gentlemen and their behavior deserve your disdain....as for the facts about his time here, is it possible that Chan and Nix brought Dave W in to try and right the ship with the Defense by "assisting" George and allowing Dave a year to build some rapport with the players with the understanding that if the Defense did not improve,let alone somewhat regress, Dave would take over and at THAT POINT he would already have a professional relationship with the players and most likely, their respect and more importantly he would KNOW his players along with their attributes and deficiencies???? Before we burn Edwards in effigy due to the failure of the Defense and then crucify Chan for hiring Edwards and then not firing him, let's just take a step backwards and try and see this in perspective....

These kinds of redundant posts are just mind-numbing and draining....I'm not saying there isn't a comment that hasn't already been made about every single subject surrounding the NFL, but I'm sick of listening to things like this...to Spartacus, dude, I know you're frustrated....I know it was hard to watch and I know the whole, "it shouldn't take three years to build a team" mantra, but let's re-frame history in the proper perspective. First, George Edwards had ALREADY agreed to be the Defensive Coordinator for the Championship Florida Gators when he left that team to come to Buffalo, so calling him a "buffoon" is not only basely and personal, it is factually inaccurate and quite frankly, just mean....I realize we all hold serious personal opinions about the BILLS, if we weren't rabid fans - we wouldn't be spending our time writing things like these, so I get it...but there's no need to make your professional opinion of George Edwards so malicious....save those kinds of comments for individuals who have earned it based upon their behavior and point it to their behavior, ala Ben Rothelisberger and rape accusations or clubbing it and causing problems with women, or the dunce that was arrested for dealing cocaine who was with the Bears last year and the Cowboys previously, those gentlemen and their behavior deserve your disdain....as for the facts about his time here, is it possible that Chan and Nix brought Dave W in to try and right the ship with the Defense by "assisting" George and allowing Dave a year to build some rapport with the players with the understanding that if the Defense did not improve,let alone somewhat regress, Dave would take over and at THAT POINT he would already have a professional relationship with the players and most likely, their respect and more importantly he would KNOW his players along with their attributes and deficiencies???? Before we burn Edwards in effigy due to the failure of the Defense and then crucify Chan for hiring Edwards and then not firing him, let's just take a step backwards and try and see this in perspective....

The gators hired him to run a 4-3 defense

The Bills hired him to convert to a 3-4 defense that he had never implemented or run before

you are right - the real buffoon is Chan Gailey and Buddy Nix who thought it was a brilliant move to hire a 4-3 LB coach to convert to a 3-4

I stand corrected - the real buffoon is Chan

Edwards just sucks as a 3-4 DC