We need a QB!

I would bet that Chan is very comfortable with Thigpen as his back-up QB despite his sorry performance last year.

Unless they fall in love with a QB i doubt they draft one in the first 5 rounds. Brad Smith is going to be the #3 and they will likely keep a project QB on the PS.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would bet that Chan is very comfortable with Thigpen as his back-up QB despite his sorry performance last year.

Unless they fall in love with a QB i doubt they draft one in the first 5 rounds. Brad Smith is going to be the #3 and they will likely keep a project QB on the PS.

This is pretty much what I expect as well. If Fitz plays well this year, it will be a few years before we look seriously at replacing/challenging him. I could honestly see us doing a Aaron Rodgers move in 4-5 seasons out, provided Fitz plays well. The only thing that changes that is someone amazing falling to us. If Fitz plays like crap, Nix will make a move.

If Thigpen plays horrendous again, I could see Nix forcing Gailey's hand and make a change...I do think we will draft a guy this year, but it will be a late rounder.

This is pretty much what I expect as well. If Fitz plays well this year, it will be a few years before we look seriously at replacing/challenging him. I could honestly see us doing a Aaron Rodgers move in 4-5 seasons out, provided Fitz plays well. The only thing that changes that is someone amazing falling to us. If Fitz plays like crap, Nix will make a move.

If Thigpen plays horrendous again, I could see Nix forcing Gailey's hand and make a change...I do think we will draft a guy this year, but it will be a late rounder.

Right. The thing is, if Nix and the Bills scouts absolutely love Tannehill and think he has a good chance to be a franchise QB down the line, they will take him. I doubt they do, but it's possible. There just don't seem to be a lot of good QBs in this draft outside of the 1-2 studs.

I'm totally fine with us drafting Tannehill as a current back up (contingency for if Fitz gets hurt) and eventual franchise QB. He looks to have all the qualities you want except a lot of game experience which is why he would work for a team that already has a QB in place (so he can be groomed)...He looks much better than all of the QBs that came out last year (besides Cam)

Side note: I think if this is part of the plan we let Fitz know ahead of time that were not trying to replace him but have an eventual successor or legitimate back up in case things go wrong

Edited by NeverOutNick

Yep. You're right. That's exactly what I said.

Prolly should have titled it 'We need a backup QB', instead of 'We need a QB'.

On a side note, as much as we all love Fitz, he doesn't have a pedigree or a large successful past body of work, so far so good. For a few seasons it has to/should be a lets give him a shot, give him tools and see where he takes us. Yeah we have faith, but it shouldn't be blind either. Hopefully at the end of the season it really was just his ribs and the injuries. Surround the guy with talent and let's see where we go.