Cancelled Toronto Preseason Game

If this has been previously posted, please close and disregard. I have yet to see it and it is driving me nuts.

Since Toronto Returned the Preseason Game back to Buffalo, does the Bills have to give back the ~ $8 Million we received as compensation for that game?

I know the whole deal equaled about $8 Million per game, but since they returned it back to Buffalo for the Bills to sell to their fans/customers does this mean we have to return that money allocated for that game?

If not does this mean the Bills will actually make ~10 Million for the Preseason game now, since we get ~$4 per Regular Season sell out (and we know Pre-seasons never sell out) so I figure about Half plus the $8 Million.

Maybe if John Wawrow is around, he might be able to dig a little up on this.

Edited by rsxfirefighter

Sweet, I just never saw it documented anywhere.

Now I wish Ralph and the team was proactive and gave that preseason game "FREE" to all the season ticket holders

Not saying that they didn't or will not, but i just see the team making a buck at every opportunity

That would definitely be classified as Fan Appreciation Game if those tickets were 100% free to season ticket holders since the team has already been compensated for that game.

If this has been previously posted, please close and disregard. I have yet to see it and it is driving me nuts.

Since Toronto Returned the Preseason Game back to Buffalo, does the Bills have to give back the ~ $8 Million we received as compensation for that game?

I know the whole deal equaled about $8 Million per game, but since they returned it back to Buffalo for the Bills to sell to their fans/customers does this mean we have to return that money allocated for that game?

If not does this mean the Bills will actually make ~10 Million for the Preseason game now, since we get ~$4 per Regular Season sell out (and we know Pre-seasons never sell out) so I figure about Half plus the $8 Million.

Maybe if John Wawrow is around, he might be able to dig a little up on this.

all i can say is that neither side has said whether Rogers was reimbursed or not for giving up that game. the educated assumption is since there's a signed deal in place, and Rogers prompted the giveback, that Rogers is not in a position to request reimbursement. that said, it's possible that the Bills could have -- and this is mere speculation, nothing at all concrete -- thrown some money back in a good-faith move to further the next round of talks in regards to extending the deal beyond this year.

again, this is all guesswork, as no one has said one way or another, and both sides have been particularly mum on how this deal works ever since Rogers posted the numbers in its annual report some five years ago.

jw

all i can say is that neither side has said whether Rogers was reimbursed or not for giving up that game. the educated assumption is since there's a signed deal in place, and Rogers prompted the giveback, that Rogers is not in a position to request reimbursement. that said, it's possible that the Bills could have -- and this is mere speculation, nothing at all concrete -- thrown some money back in a good-faith move to further the next round of talks in regards to extending the deal beyond this year.

again, this is all guesswork, as no one has said one way or another, and both sides have been particularly mum on how this deal works ever since Rogers posted the numbers in its annual report some five years ago.

jw

JW,

I appreciate the info. I just find it amazing how all the Normal Beat Reporters just left it at the "Game Returned" and didnt push any further.

I really hope that we kept at least a majority of the money if not all since the preseason games were never really the intention of the deal compared to the regular season games. They were always thrown in there to appease the local fans and to prevent extremely mass hysteria. Could you imagine if the season ticket holders for 5 years had to pay for both preseason games and only 7 regular games. At least they justified it by saying they got rid of 3 of 5 preseason games (which has since dropped to 2 of 5).

Heck, for all we truly know, that might have been the main intention in the first place, and we will never really know.

JW,

I appreciate the info. I just find it amazing how all the Normal Beat Reporters just left it at the "Game Returned" and didnt push any further.

I really hope that we kept at least a majority of the money if not all since the preseason games were never really the intention of the deal compared to the regular season games. They were always thrown in there to appease the local fans and to prevent extremely mass hysteria. Could you imagine if the season ticket holders for 5 years had to pay for both preseason games and only 7 regular games. At least they justified it by saying they got rid of 3 of 5 preseason games (which has since dropped to 2 of 5).

Heck, for all we truly know, that might have been the main intention in the first place, and we will never really know.

it's not that the question was asked. it's just that the question wasn't answered.

heck, we wouldn't have known how much the entire deal was worth if not for the Rogers year-end report.

jw

jw

jw, What have you heard on the Bills' study of the structural and upgrade needs of the stadium? Is it finished? If so, why are they not putting out the projected costs?

What I don't understand is why the county isn't the one doing the study on the stadium instead of the Bills doing it? Clearly, there is a conflict of interest. Froma a Ralph Wilson perspective the 93 yr old owner is not going to be advocating for a major stadium upgrade when it is going to require a more long-term lease or guarantees associated with a more costly refurbishing.

Although the Toronto series might have some good marketing reasons behind it it undercuts the county and state political case to the public for contributing funds for a facility that will be so infrequently (seven regular season games) used.

Edited by JohnC

If the Bills do not have to repay the money then this game is already paid for. They should not be charging their season ticket holders for this game! And they shouldnt be charging their season ticket holders full price for the kids game either.

Yes WE...im sorry...i have been a diehard bills and sabres fan since being a toddler (30+ years). However the fact that I do not have any financial interests in the team or its profits, I still feel it is a part of me. So therefore I will always use the "WE" and "OUR" and "MY" terms when referring to either of these teams.

Their profits dont pay my mortgage, however their victories Fuel my Sanity!!

Edited by rsxfirefighter

jw, What have you heard on the Bills' study of the structural and upgrade needs of the stadium? Is it finished? If so, why are they not putting out the projected costs?

What I don't understand is why the county isn't the one doing the study on the stadium instead of the Bills doing it? Clearly, there is a conflict of interest. Froma a Ralph Wilson perspective the 93 yr old owner is not going to be advocating for a major stadium upgrade when it is going to require a more long-term lease or guarantees associated with a more costly refurbishing.

Although the Toronto series might have some good marketing reasons behind it it undercuts the county and state political case to the public for contributing funds for a facility that will be so infrequently (seven regular season games) used.

i expect the study to be done soon. they're not putting out the projected costs because they generally don't negotiate this through the media.

the Bills are doing the study, because they're the ones who understand the needs, technical, structural and profit-generating because they're the ones who use the stadium on an exclusive basis. they do control the stadium under the terms of the lease.

the Toronto series does very little to undercut the county and state's contributions. under NY State tax laws, the state generates much of the money due to the fact that Bills play here, and where their salaries are taxed. one game makes a small dent in tax money generated out of concessions, hotel rooms, etc.

jw