Pro Bowl

Things with the Pro Bowl have changed as of late and there has even been talk about it being done away with. 1st of all, the players in the Super Bowl no longer get to play in it even though they have been voted as 1st string starters; this of course gives some less known guys a chance to be in the spotlight perhaps. A player also has some pull from being in the game. If a FA Pro Bowler is on the market a Pro Bowler on another squad can possibly suade him a little to join his team. My concern or question is that if the Pro Bowl is done away with, what happens to the men that earn the right to play in the game as far as the precedence that goes with it in the future, how will that prestige be carried?

In other words, how strong is the bond between Kyle Williams and Mario Williams?

:)

Well that is a good example case scenario; but, how is a players prestige ranked anymore without the Pro Bowl? To me it sets apart players as those who are great and commonly recognized.

Well that is a good example case scenario; but, how is a players prestige ranked anymore without the Pro Bowl? To me it sets apart players as those who are great and commonly recognized.

Well, you could watch the players play and form your own opininon

Or still vote and skip the actual game

The Pro Bowl is voted on by the players, the coaches and the fans with each counting for one third.

The player vote is often viewed as a joke with current players ironically not considered good arbiters of who the best amongst their peers are… and there are also suggestions that it's a highly-politicized process.

The coaches vote is probably pretty solid.

The fan vote is probably a poorly-informed popularity contest characterized by ballot stuffing.

So I don't think the Pro Bowl is particularly prestigious.

Most people would say that the Associated Press All-Pro team (voted on by sportswriters, FWIW) is more prestigious.

The Pro Bowl is voted on by the players, the coaches and the fans with each counting for one third.

The player vote is often viewed as a joke with current players ironically not considered good arbiters of who the best amongst their peers are… and there are also suggestions that it's a highly-politicized process.

The coaches vote is probably pretty solid.

The fan vote is probably a poorly-informed popularity contest characterized by ballot stuffing.

So I don't think the Pro Bowl is particularly prestigious.

Most people would say that the Associated Press All-Pro team (voted on by sportswriters, FWIW) is more prestigious.

So the AP can tell me who's good? I don't know if I trust that wawrow character.

What if they do like a top ten list at each position on bleacher report?

So the AP can tell me who's good? I don't know if I trust that wawrow character.

I know what you mean about Wawrow… I don't even know what kind of name that is.

What's funny is that if you go to Scouts Inc, Pro Football Focus, Cold, Hard, Football Facts, or Football Outsiders, these people also rank the players based on their quantitative ratings systems… and their rankings are often very different from each other.

So what's the moral of the story?

I'd love to see a ranking compiled from the reports of NFL personnel departments.

Now THAT I would pay for.

for clarification, i have no vote in the All-Pro team or any other end of year NFL awards. The Associated Press runs the vote, but us AP writers do not take part. the votes are cast by a select number members of the media -- not AP writers -- around the country, who cover the NFL.

jw