CBO: Obamacare will cost $1.76T / 10 years

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, because medicare reimbursement is so exhorbitant....actually reimbursement would need to change to encourage needed workforce increases in primary care.

I guess "change" is another way to say "increase" without it sounding as bad.

good question. i'd think current medicare benefits would be great with exclusions for any elective procedures and algorithms to describe work ups/treatment s of the most common complaints/ailments with a safe harbor for docs if thet follow such algorithms. also, generic drugs only unless clear and definitive evidence of superior outcomes for nongenerics. there'd be much more but that's a good start.

Was none of this available prior to Obamacare?

Unreal, something that was such a HUGE selling point for Obama, and I can't overemphasize how huge it was, where there were so many democrats on the fence on whether or not they would support the bill, that the bill would cost under a trillion dollars over the first ten years. I went in detail about this bill how there were so many accounting tricks to the bill how everything was backloaded, and now we come to find out that over the next 10 years CBO project almost double what Obama promised and lied to us about. And YES, it was a lie. They were dishonest and misled us purposely, I adamantly remember making that point over and over regarding all ther budget trickery and how it was a flat out lie in order to garner support amongst all those democrats that walked the plank for the president.

So where is this story being reported? If there is a mention of it, it's not a featured story, yet when the president was lying to us, it was plastered all over the place that it would cost under $1 Trillion.

The media SUCKS ASS!!!!! Pathetic

The media SUCKS ASS!!!!! Pathetic

And this surprises you...why, exactly?

Another interesting point. Now that this new CBO data is out, how soon before the WH will go back to the drawing board and re-work the law so it gets back to its intended financial target?

Tomorrow? Next week? Next month? Never? :lol:

Edited by LABillzFan

And this surprises you...why, exactly?

Another interesting point. Now that this new CBO data is out, how soon before the WH will go back to the drawing board and re-work the law so it gets back to its intended financial target?

Tomorrow? Next week? Next month? Never? :lol:

Well...not the White House so much as Congress. And this is the same Senate, at least, that couldn't fix the financial reform legislation that they KNEW had problems because "We're done with it, and we've moved on to health care."

More from the CBO:

Investor's Business Daily | CBO Exposes Obama's $2T Budget Sleight of Hand: Obama's 'budget cuts' are actually tax hikes

And lo and behold, rather than cut spending by $1 trillion over the next decade, the CBO says it would increase it by more than $1 trillion.

So just what explains this shift of more than $2 trillion? Welcome to the world of "baseline budgeting."

So whereas Obama said baseline spending would total $47 trillion over the next decade, the CBO said it would be $44.3 trillion.

If you ignore the baseline and just look at the spending levels, what Obama is proposing is obvious — more spending, year after year.

We and others have exposed this baseline budget sleight of hand many times, yet politicians — on both sides of the aisle — continue to use it. The temptation is no doubt tough to resist.

Edited by UConn James

Hell, when you have a left-wing stalwart like Politico starting to point out the obvious lies Barry, you are in trouble.

4 hard truths of health care reform

By: David Nather

March 16, 2012

President Barack Obama promised over and over during the health care debate that “if you like your health care plan, you can keep your health care plan.”

It turns out that, for a lot of people, that isn’t true.

A Congressional Budget Office report issued this week says that 3 million to 5 million people could move from employer-based health care plans to government-based programs as the Affordable Care Act takes effect. And in the worst-case scenario, it could be as many as 20 million.

For Obama, it’s an inconvenient truth at a really inconvenient time — coming less than two weeks before the Supreme Court begins oral arguments on the law and just as the administration touts the law’s early benefits on its second anniversary.

And it’s not the only hard truth Obama and the law’s supporters are facing. No matter what they said about rising health care costs, those costs aren’t actually going to go down under health care reform. The talk about the law paying for itself is just educated guesswork. And people aren’t actually liking the law more as they learn more about it — and some polls show they are just getting more confused.

But it’s Obama’s signature promise — “If you like it, you can keep it” — that’s most likely to get thrown back in his face. Here are the four hard truths of health care reform as the law approaches its March 23 anniversary:

1) Some people won’t get to keep the coverage they like.

For Republicans, the CBO report is a giant “I told you so” moment — and they’re lining up to tell you so.

“President Obama repeatedly promised during the health care debate, ‘if you like your current plan, you will be able to keep it,’” House Energy and Commerce Committee Republicans said in a statement Friday. “Even under CBO’s ‘best estimate,’ President Obama will have broken his promise to 3 million to 5 million Americans each year, but unfortunately, that number could be much higher.”

{snip}

2) Costs aren’t going to go down.

The video released by the Obama campaign Thursday has a graph that shows health insurance premiums climbing and climbing — way above general inflation. Giving families and businesses relief was a big part of Obama’s sales pitch for health care reform.

“Health care costs had been rising three times the rate of inflation, crushing family budgets and choking businesses. And he knew that he couldn’t fix the economy if he didn’t fix health care,” narrator Tom Hanks says in the video.

But no matter what happens with the law, the line on that graph isn’t going to go down. If the law works as the administration hopes, premiums may not rise as fast. But they’re not going to plummet.

{snip}

3) It’s just a guess that the law can pay for itself.

The Obama administration insists that the health care law will actually reduce the deficit — which sounds like a fantasy to many people, since the law will clearly increase spending through insurance subsidies and an expansion of Medicaid

{snip}

4) “The more they know, the more they'll like it” isn’t happening.

When the bill passed, Democrats were convinced that Americans would like the health care reform law more once they were able to see its benefits. When then-House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Congress had to “pass the bill so you can find out what is in it” — an inartful phrase that Republicans have happily quoted ever since — her aides insisted that’s what she meant: People would find out about its benefits once the controversy died down.

Except the controversy has never died down, and people don’t like the law any more now than they did then.

Edited by B-Man

Hell, when you have a left-wing stalwart like Politico starting to point out the obvious lies Barry, you are in trouble.

There's plenty to hate from either the left or the rights point of view.

This bill, you know the one we wouldn't know what's in it til they passed it, was never about addressing the issue itself. It was about laying down a framework for future Federal power grabs, plus paying off Democratic donors

Politico has been bleeding out ever since they went after Cain. I suspect once it was obvious to everyone that they're just another HuffPost/DailyKos left-wing mouthpiece, it realized it couldn't survive on progressives alone and now needs to pretend it's balanced again. Too bad, because I used to enjoy some of the stories there.

Edited by LABillzFan

That was lame. I don't mind being insulted...but I do mind when people try and fail with bad insults.

In addition to making mention of the mistake, I figured you were going to reply "If only I could say the same."

And big shock that Obamacare is projected (that is, at present) to cost WAY more than initially predicted. Multiply that number by 2.5 at least and you'll be in a closer ballpark. It will bankrupt the country faster than any other social program.