CBO: Obamacare will cost $1.76T / 10 years

Wash. Examiner link

President Obama's national health care law will cost $1.76 trillion over a decade, according to a new projection released today by the Congressional Budget Office, rather than the $940 billion forecast when it was signed into law.

Democrats employed many accounting tricks when they were pushing through the national health care legislation, the most egregious of which was to delay full implementation of the law until 2014, so it would appear cheaper under the CBO's standard ten-year budget window and, at least on paper, meet Obama's pledge that the legislation would cost "around $900 billion over 10 years." When the final CBO score came out before passage, critics noted that the true 10 year cost would be far higher than advertised once projections accounted for full implementation.

I'd say it, but, really... who's fooled by "Whoops!"?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We could sign Mario Williams like 14 times for that amount.

Which 14 positions is he going to play, or are we going with the 14-0 vs the 4-3 and the 3-4? That would be a smothering defense.

Edited by 3rdnlng

we could build mario williams from spare parts and clone him 20 times, then cure cancer...or maybe just provide basic care for all americans

So basic health care was not available to all Americans prior? And what do you consider basic health care?

So basic health care was not available to all Americans prior? And what do you consider basic health care?

A free condom on every dick, a free Volt in every garage, and free abortions for anyone caught without the first in the backseat of the second

And that $1.76 Trillion number is STILL the CBO number, which requires the CBO to suspend reality and assume that every single thing in the legislation will happen exactly as it is written. Which includes many, many ridiculous things, the only one I can recall right now is the Medicare Doc Fix. The CBO is required to assume that the Medicare 'Doc Fix' won't happen under the current legislation (I think this amounts to $500 million a year? Is that right?). Of course the Medicare 'Doc Fix' will, of course, happen every year and add at least $5 billion to that total. A billion here and a billion there; pretty soon we're talking about real dollars!

I think Magox has a really good handle on more details about this...

Edited by jjamie12

good question. i'd think current medicare benefits would be great with exclusions for any elective procedures and algorithms to describe work ups/treatment s of the most common complaints/ailments with a safe harbor for docs if thet follow such algorithms. also, generic drugs only unless clear and definitive evidence of superior outcomes for nongenerics. there'd be much more but that's a good start.

good question. i'd think current medicare benefits would be great with exclusions for any elective procedures and algorithms to describe work ups/treatment s of the most common complaints/ailments with a safe harbor for docs if thet follow such algorithms. also, generic drugs only unless clear and definitive evidence of superior outcomes for nongenerics. there'd be much more but that's a good start.

With the same reimbursements of course.