An idea articulated…

I'd been thinking this and PFT has posted this idea.

http://profootballta...ory/rumor-mill/

The point being that there are arguably 5 elite players in this year's draft:

Luck, RGIII, Kahlil, Claiborne, and Blackmon.

The Rams now draft at #6.

They were said to be coveting a franchise left tackle (Kahlil), an outside weapon for Bradford (Blackmon), and a much needed cornerback (Claiborne).

The upshot of this trade is that they might not have the opportunity to select any of their top 3 players… all at positions of need.

It also lends more intrigue to the report that the Rams took the Redskins offer over a similar one from the Browns, who draft at #4.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

They were said to be coveting a franchise left tackle (Kahlil), an outside weapon for Bradford (Blackmon), and a much needed cornerback (Claiborne).

The upshot of this trade is that they might not have the opportunity to select any of their top 3 players… all at positions of need.

It also lends more intrigue to the report that the Rams took the Redskins offer over a similar one from the Browns, who draft at #4.

It would'nt surprise me if the Rams traded down another few spots and picked their LT or WR and gain even more picks.

I don't buy the concept of "franchise LT". Too muxh evidence in the league that these guys can be found elsewhere in the draft. Kahlil may not even be the best in the draft.

Ditto for CB. Blackmon is who the Rams covet, so it's hard to imagine they would turn down the Browns at 4 if it was at all a comparable offer.

I don't buy the concept of "franchise LT". Too muxh evidence in the league that these guys can be found elsewhere in the draft. Kahlil may not even be the best in the draft.

Ditto for CB. Blackmon is who the Rams covet, so it's hard to imagine they would turn down the Browns at 4 if it was at all a comparable offer.

my guess is that browns felt that the rams really wanted a deal with them (browns) so that they (rams) didn't drop further than #4. the browns dragged their heals a lil playing hardball and didn't step up until AFTER they found out what washington offered. by then it was too late, the rams and redskins had a handshake agreement.

I still think buffalo is still in a spot where other teams would like to be. I really do see buffalo trading down 3 - 5 spots and gain an extra 3rd or more, not sure of the point value. I really like what the rams are doing, damn near rebuilding that team in one draft.

I think the fact that Blackmon is 6'0" and closer to Michael Crabtree than Calvin Johnson isn't lost on the Lambs.

There are 4 Top OTs and there are not huge delta, outside Kalil.

Then Floyd is arguably more AJ Green than Michael Crabtree.

Plus Tampa may not take Claiborne, Either way I think St. Louis is set. Plus the 2nd and two years in a row of 2 1sts. I think they'll be A-OK.

If I was the Rams GM and I really did have identical offers from the Browns at #4 and the Redskins at #6, I would make the deal with whichever team I thought would be worse in the future.

A Redskins deal makes the Rams pick 2 spots later in the 1st and 2nd rounds this year (as compared with a deal with the Browns), but they could easily make up that delta if they think the Redskins will have a worse won/loss record than the Browns in the 2012 and 2013 seasons.

When this trade was announced that was my first thought as well. They clearly want Blackmon but they may have traded themselves out of contention for him. Its still a really good move for the Rams and they are guaranteed to get a good football player, but they may be snake bit in terms of getting their guy at #6.

I think the fact that Blackmon is 6'0" and closer to Michael Crabtree than Calvin Johnson isn't lost on the Lambs.

There are 4 Top OTs and there are not huge delta, outside Kalil.

Then Floyd is arguably more AJ Green than Michael Crabtree.

Plus Tampa may not take Claiborne, Either way I think St. Louis is set. Plus the 2nd and two years in a row of 2 1sts. I think they'll be A-OK.

Not sure i buy the Floyd to AJ Green comparison. Green put up his numbers in the SEC, big difference.

But the other point is with the new rookie wage scale, stock piling first's became even sweeter.

I do agree with you that there are about 4 good OT in this draft. The Rams will get 4 first rounders and 3 second rounders over the next 2 years. You should get 1/3 of your starters for the next 3-4 seasons, if your scouts are doing their jobs.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

Not sure i buy the Floyd to AJ Green comparison. Green put up his numbers in the SEC, big difference.

But the other point is with the new rookie wage scale, stock piling first's became even sweeter.

I do agree with you that there are about 4 good OT in this draft. The Rams will get 4 first rounders and 3 second rounders over the next 2 years. You should get 1/3 of your starters for the next 3-4 seasons, if your scouts are doing their jobs.

I believe one of the points WSS was making was that after Kahlil, there's not much difference between the next 3 tackles.

But I believe that Kahlil is the only one being viewed as a "can't miss," elite type player.

my guess is that browns felt that the rams really wanted a deal with them (browns) so that they (rams) didn't drop further than #4. the browns dragged their heals a lil playing hardball and didn't step up until AFTER they found out what washington offered. by then it was too late, the rams and redskins had a handshake agreement.

That's how I took it. Kinds of like what happened when the Bills tried to trade Lynch and had a deal with Seattle, but NO whined that they would have offered more. <_<

As for whether they dropped-down too far, it depends on how their pick turns out, just like whether this was a good move for the Skins depends on whether RGIII turns out to be a franchise QB. IOW, time will tell.

am i the only one who thought of Hank Stram talking about "atriculating the ball" down the field when I saw this thread?

He said "matriculate".

My 2 pennies worth on this Peyton Manning fiasco is this.

1) He's done. He had fusion done on vertebrae. No way in hell does he have the full range of motion he used to have.

2) Why would the Broncos or Chiefs want him? And, if Peyton is gonna play again, he ain't gona play for backup money. Elway has another out if he needs one... Flynn. Either way he's sent the message to Tebow that he's persona non grata. SAme goes for Pioli. Does he think threatening Cassell with Manning is gonna make him a better QB? WTF? If he's chasing Manning, he's already determined Cassell ain't his man.

3) Why would Manning, with a fu--ed up neck, want to play 8 games minumum outdoors in a non tropical venue? What the hell are people thnking?

4) See number one. Put the fork in him and let the fat lady sing. He'll be first name on the 2017 HOF ballot.

It was "matriculating" and yes you are the only one

On the other hand - I DID just quote Hank Stram today watching my daughter's HS Lax scrimmages and telling my wife they "needed to do a better job matriculating the ball down the field, as Hank Stram would say"!

He said "matriculate".

My 2 pennies worth on this Peyton Manning fiasco is this.

1) He's done. He had fusion done on vertebrae. No way in hell does he have the full range of motion he used to have.

2) Why would the Broncos or Chiefs want him? And, if Peyton is gonna play again, he ain't gona play for backup money. Elway has another out if he needs one... Flynn. Either way he's sent the message to Tebow that he's persona non grata. SAme goes for Pioli. Does he think threatening Cassell with Manning is gonna make him a better QB? WTF? If he's chasing Manning, he's already determined Cassell ain't his man.

3) Why would Manning, with a fu--ed up neck, want to play 8 games minumum outdoors in a non tropical venue? What the hell are people thnking?

4) See number one. Put the fork in him and let the fat lady sing. He'll be first name on the 2017 HOF ballot.

If that's what Manning is most concerned about, then he should sign with Miami because it's the perfect place to retire.