Why do the last 12 years get lumped together

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last 12 years get lumped together because being a Bills fan has changed so much.

There was a time when the Bills were the only thing in town. If you blasphemous enough to go to the store during a game, the game would be playing over the store's sound system and the place would be empty.

Little kids and old ladies would have the schedule memorized.

Remember how it was in Buffalo during the 2007 NHL play-offs? It was like that every fall for years.

There was a time when people wore zubaz to church.

So to answer "Why do the last 12 years get lumped together" it is because the last 12 years have not been what we remember and love. Right now, being a fan of the Bills is not as much fun as it was in the late 80's and 90's.

Starting QB...Jauron - who didn't start under Jauron, was considered a back up, Edwards was the starter

Starting RB...Jauron - who didn't start under Jauron, was considered a back up, Marshawn was the starter

Starting #1 WR...Jauron - AGAIN, who didn't start under Jauron, TO and Evans... Johnson only saw the field because of Gailey/Nix

Starting center ...Jauron - Who was drafted in 09' when Nix was head of college scouting

starting guard...Jauron- Who was drafted in 09' when Nix was head of college scouting

starting LT... Jauron- Who was drafted in 09' when Nix was head of college scouting

3 of the people you listed, Moron coudln't even identify the talent.

so whats your point again?

You apparently keep missing the point that those players were drafted or signed and acquired under Dick Jauron, his era!! Tom Modrak was the Bills chief scout! Nix didn't make any choices on draft picks, that is what jauron did, Marv Levy even stated as such! Nix doesn't get credit for the draft choices while Jauron was HC and de facto GM.

The point is, that those players were already on the team in 2010 when Nix was promoted to GM. Buddy Nix gets credit for 2010-2011 drafts and free agency.

Remind me again of all those players drafted in 2010 that started in 2010, or the free agents acquired in 2010 that made an impact in 2010.

Someone mentioned the team was fun to watch under Gailey! yea, for a few games in 2010 they were competitive against some good teams, even tho they went 4-12 and started 0-8. Then they looked good first part of last season. But man, some of those games were unbearable to watch both years. The Bills fell on their face because of injuries and a lack of depth at key positions. No pass rush, one decent WR and the Bills kept throwing out of 4-5 WR sets.

I'm not a Bills hater, just a realist who see's that the team went 4-12, 6-10. the last two years when i expected them to be better then Jaurons crappy teams. Trent Edwards might have sucked some serious moose dangle, but the Bills went 7-9 with him at QB!

I'm happy the Bills signed Johnson and Chandler, 2 players already on the team from last year. Now waiting to see the "aggressive" Buddy Nix this year, and can't wait to see the players he brings in to fix the pass rush, the O line, the WR corps.

Edited by Fear the Beard

Im not putting up any money, but to remain so pessimistic and hate the team so much (along with anyone who supports it), what is the point of pretending to be a fan?

I so agree with you :thumbsup:

One constant on this board is the influx of JetPatDolph fans because they certainly cannot be Bills' fans. There are certain individuals who clearly love to stomp on fan optimism and viciously attack any move by the team.

There is no doubt that any of us who have been fans for more than 25 years are totally frustrated with the first decade of the new millenium! Angered, ticked off, but somehow still Bills' fans. And, the pre-injury start to the 2011 gave us reason to believe that the team was turning around (Even the most optimistic among us knew that we had no depth behind the starting 22 but we finally had a starting offensive line that was as good as or better than most teams in the league and we had a team that could come from behind to win.).

Buddy Nix has stayed true to his public pronoucements ... he took over a bad team and has been building the base of a potentially good team for years to come. First as the head scout but then as GM ... his drafts have been as productive as any other team in the league (Oh, I know someone will name a couple of instant superstars that we passed over but so did 30+ other teams ...).

So, if you are a Bills' fan stop bashing the optimists ... and take a deep breath because this Bills' team has players who want to stay in town and we will find out in the next few weeks if some bigger names will be home shopping in OP and Clarence.

I lump them together because it allows me to be lazy and pessimistic. Everything you said is completely wrong and I don't need to fall back on logic to prove that I am right- I can just say that I am right, simply because I am. Jauron Gailey is to blame for all the losing. If we just make a change, we will be in the playoffs next year, I just know it has to be true! :lol:

I like you Dr.D. You're always very civil and you seem like a nice guy. But you are not more of a fan than I am because you believe in unicorns. This is a message board not a circle jerk.

Buddy said show me the baby, not me. The Bills went 1-8 in their last 9 games. They gave up 49 straight points to their division "rival" on the last game of the season. How's that baby looking?

If I'm suppose to temper my doubt you Pollys should temper your baseless enthusiasm. Until then, I'll continue to post not to be right at the end of the year but because it's what I see. Thanks bud. :thumbsup:

First off, Im glad you got that my response was a light-hearted shot across your bow and nothing more. Although, I absolutely hate that you insist on using the term "Pollys" for fans that simply want to enjoy the entertainment and not tie themselves into being so miserable when they lose. Until that ends, I'll keep calling you guys Nancies. :nana:

And Im not expecting a circle-jerk, or everyone to come in and be all "Rah Rah Bills!". But I am expecting people to have a little perspective and not be condescending jerks to the people that want to be fans of the team.

Fan stands for fanatic, so deal with the enthusiasm. It's a fan board, for fans of the team, in an entertainment industry.

I get that you "post what you see". I think that is why it is so annoying. Anyone can post the obvious. We ALL know the Bills have sucked. We were all there for all of it, right along with you. We get it. You arent telling us anything we dont already know or hear from the national media. It takes a true fan(atic) to keep on Bill-ieving. So how about your ideas on solutions?

Why dont we start by simply dropping the name-calling? It'll make the posts harder to disregard.

When Buddy Nix took the job he said we would build this team through the draft and then pay our own players. He has also shown that to be true. He has also shown in the Fitz, Chandler and Pears deal that they are willing to pick up a cast away, see if they fit in the system and then pay them.

This off season we have fewer holes than in the past. We are missing a few key pieces. We need a DE that can get to the QB. We need an OLB and a #2 receiver. We may have the #2 receiver in the fold already with Easley. We won’t know until we can see him play. Outside of these holes we have players who can play.

I am tired of hearing people say that Ralph is cheap because he won’t pay for top coaches and GM. Buddy seems to know what he is doing. Doug is a good young talent. Chan is one of the best offensive minds in the game. Dave has built a Super Bowl winning D. I am not sure but this may be the best coaching staff we have had since the early 90's.

And that's why we had a winning season and went to the playoffs?

First off, Im glad you got that my response was a light-hearted shot across your bow and nothing more. Although, I absolutely hate that you insist on using the term "Pollys" for fans that simply want to enjoy the entertainment and not tie themselves into being so miserable when they lose. Until that ends, I'll keep calling you guys Nancies. :nana:

And Im not expecting a circle-jerk, or everyone to come in and be all "Rah Rah Bills!". But I am expecting people to have a little perspective and not be condescending jerks to the people that want to be fans of the team.

Fan stands for fanatic, so deal with the enthusiasm. It's a fan board, for fans of the team, in an entertainment industry.

I get that you "post what you see". I think that is why it is so annoying. Anyone can post the obvious. We ALL know the Bills have sucked. We were all there for all of it, right along with you. We get it. You arent telling us anything we dont already know or hear from the national media. It takes a true fan(atic) to keep on Bill-ieving. So how about your ideas on solutions?

Why dont we start by simply dropping the name-calling? It'll make the posts harder to disregard.

If my posts annoy you then imagine how I feel when I read yours?!? The Bills lost 8 of 9 to end the year and gave up 49 in their last game and I'm supposed to be happy because Nix resigned Morrison, Fitz and Chandler? Come on! And my thoughts are redundant because the Bills ineptitude is redundant. Your thoughts, IMHO, are baseless and pinned solely to hopes/wishes. This regime has pegged Fitz as the future! That's not cause for optimism I'm sorry.

I'm not going to argue who is and isn't a fan. Life is about differing opinions and everybody thinks they are right. So let's just move on from that silliness.

I can't drop the Polly thing just like I won't stop accusing the Pollys of having Stockholm Syndrome. Would you like if I started calling you guys Pattys (as in Hurst) instead? It's fun, it's not personal at all. Blame Rico. If he wasn't so spot on 3 years ago there would be no "Pollys"...and what would this board be without Pollys? :beer:

If my posts annoy you then imagine how I feel when I read yours?!? The Bills lost 8 of 9 to end the year and gave up 49 in their last game and I'm supposed to be happy because Nix resigned Morrison, Fitz and Chandler? Come on!

See, it's short-sighted posts like this that make you guys so annoying.

I love how you leave out the fact that he also just re-signed SJ, AND that Free Agency hasnt even started yet... Besides disregarding the signing of our 2nd Touchdown producer, and QB who was in the top 5 of the league through the first 8 games.

You cherry pick bits and pieces of arguments to perpetuate the negativity, with no perspective to the big picture. I dont say that everything is perfect, nor do I ignore the bad stuff. I just dont concentrate on it like it's the entire story. I hope it helps you feel better in whatever you are compensating for.

You label me a "polly" for being optimisitc on a message board. Yet, Im one of the only posters that actually put their money where their mouth is and cancelled my family's (30 year) season tickets after the Jauron debacle. My family and I have not given Ralph one cent since 2009, and let them know why every time they call to beg us to come back. Yet how many of you Nancies still go to games, and buy merch?

I support Nix and Gailey in the large task they took on. But Im not a blind schmuck when it comes to this team. It's called balance, son.

And you should be very proud to follow Rico's logic and take enjoyment out of seeing the misery of your "fellow fans" because they were optimistic. Wonderful.

Edited by DrDareustein

I love how you leave out the fact that he also just re-signed SJ, AND that Free Agency hasnt even started yet... Besides disregarding the signing of our 2nd Touchdown producer, and QB who was in the top 5 of the league through the first 8 games.

You cherry pick bits and pieces of arguments to perpetuate the negativity, with no perspective to the big picture. I dont say that everything is perfect, nor do I ignore the bad stuff. I just dont concentrate on it like it's the entire story. I hope it helps you feel better in whatever you are compensating for.

You label me a "polly" for being optimisitc on a message board. Yet, Im one of the only posters that actually put their money where their mouth is and cancelled my family's (30 year) season tickets after the Jauron debacle. My family and I have not given Ralph one cent since 2009, and let them know why every time they call to beg us to come back. Yet how many of you Nancies still go to games, and buy merch?

I support Nix and Gailey in the large task they took on. But Im not a blind schmuck when it comes to this team. It's called balance, son.

And you should be very proud to follow Rico's logic and take enjoyment out of seeing the misery of your "fellow fans" because they were optimistic. Wonderful.

What is cherry picking about losing 8 of 9? Fitz playing well for the first 8 games does nothing for me (this is the very definition of cherry picking!) It's a 16 game season and progress is usually based on how ya finish not how ya start. Am I right?

And believe it or not, I do have the ability to separate my personal life from my sports frustrations. Just like I have the ability to separate work from home and so on and so forth. Actually, I'm numb to the Bills ineptitude. It makes me laugh.

You are suffering from Stockholm Syndrome Dr. D. It's okay, there are many on this board just like you.

Be careful Dr. D. or they will revoke your "Polly" membership! hehe ;)

What is cherry picking about losing 8 of 9? Fitz playing well for the first 8 games does nothing for me (this is the very definition of cherry picking!) It's a 16 game season and progress is usually based on how ya finish not how ya start. Am I right?

And believe it or not, I do have the ability to separate my personal life from my sports frustrations. Just like I have the ability to separate work from home and so on and so forth. Actually, I'm numb to the Bills ineptitude. It makes me laugh.

You are suffering from Stockholm Syndrome Dr. D. It's okay, there are many on this board just like you.

Than why come to this board?!? Is it to say "I told ya so"? I ask because I just don't understand supporting something that you feel so negative about. It's like voting for something that you don't agree with. Or giving money to charity that you don't agree with. Why do it?

I have mixed feelings about Nix and Gailey, but overall, I like them better than the past regimes we have had.

The good things about them, the offense is a threat to nfl defenses, finally. Even with the two best recievers being a 7th rounder and an undrafted guy, the offense was working for awhile. For the most part, the playcalling on the offense worked and it wasn't as predictable.

Last year's draft has a lot of promise. Dareus looks like a great building block, Williams looks like he can be a starter, and Shep, for his 1st year at a tough position, got better each week, harriston looks like solid depth at worst if not a starter, and searcy looks like solid depth who could compete for a starting spot as well. And the barnett signing was just splendid and picking up pears and chandler turned out great. even if they aren't the above average players we need, they were solid contributers in positions that were upgraded with them in the lineup.

And signing stevie, chandler, and morrison is just great. and extending williams and even extending fitz was great (even though there might be some worry about keeping fitz at times). Sure, stevie, fitz, and williams we recruited by other regimes. But look at the players the past regimes let walk that screwed up our team. Letting pat williams go to the vikes ruined our defensive line. Had we kept Greer maybe we would give us better depth, if not a better starter than what we have. in the past, stevie and chandler were the types of players the front office would let walk. The only time we seemed to extend anyone was when they were past their prime like evans and mcgee. re-signing the players in their prime is something more unique for this front office.

The bad part about this regime is their first draft was just terrible. It is still a little early to tell on some of them, but they are showing little promise, if any. Spiller looks great and a solid player, but them drafting him makes it look like they didn't even look at the current roster before drafting him. they can play dumb and say "we didn't know what we had in fred jackson" but it isn't like that was fred's first good year... not to mention lynch was there. SPiller looks like a good talent, but the pick is still a headscratcher, and if they could get a do over on that pick, I know they would jump on it. Troup and Carrington, being small school guys were also headscratchers. I am not sure what they were thinking using two high picks on small schoolers. It was a ballsy move that didn't work out. troup, when healthy, hasn't done much at all. Carrington is good on a few snaps, but hardly looks good as an every down type of player. And the rest of that draft? Players that are already cut and gone or just not contributing, though moats has been a nice story.

Then the bad part about free agency, cornell green? Good lord. And I liked, and still do, the dwan edwards and andra davis signings. they were solid stop gap guys for a bit, though they need to be replaced now.

Then the bad part about gailey... as soon as wood/jackson went down, the guy completly abandoned the run game and all his playcalling just went bonkers. His playcalling was pretty fantastic early on, and I almost think that his playcalling changes is what lead to Fitz's increase in interceptions, not Fitz being "injured." I think Gailey put the game in Fitz's hands and that was just dumb. Fitz needs a strong run game to compliment him to cut back on those interceptions like the jests did when they went to the afc championships with sanchez.

And as others have mentioned, their record just sucks. Comparing it to Jauron's and other regimes isn't that fair. The strength of the schedule varies a lot. the Phins and Jests got a lot better the year jauron got canned, and the teams chan has played in generall have been better teams. But still, their record sucks. And if they don't get a winning season THIS year, it is going to be time to write them off. And if they don't make the playoffs, then there should be worry about this direction.

I think that if they have another Barnett type signing and a draft like last years, they will make the playoffs. But they need to add good players through the draft and free agency to do that.

The reason why the last 12 years get lumped together is this:

76-116.

That's 116 losses in 12 years to just 76 wins. Put it in other terms, the Bills have won LESS than 40% of the games they have played in the past 12 years. That spans three coaching and front office regimes. Chan and Nix have won 31% of their games (10% less than the previous two regimes won).

There has been only one constant during that 12 year stretch: the triumbrant of Littleman, Overdorf, and Mister Wilson. THAT'S the trio that's running this team. That's the trio that continues to run this franchise into the ground. I didn't want to believe that at first, but after THREE regime changes without any improvement in the fortune of the Bills leaves little doubt that it's NOT the revolving door at the head coaching spot and GM but rather something wrong at the head of the franchise. And things will not change until Wilson is gone. He's either unable or unwilling to build a winning team in Buffalo.

That's why these years are lumped together.

Than why come to this board?!? Is it to say "I told ya so"? I ask because I just don't understand supporting something that you feel so negative about. It's like voting for something that you don't agree with. Or giving money to charity that you don't agree with. Why do it?

This is the type of post that makes me cringe.

We as fans have a right to B word about what we perceive as weaknesses on our team just as you have the right to blindly defend your team or choose to ignore reality. It doesn't make either one of us a "better" fan. It just makes us different people. I'm the sort of person who doesn't think unconditional love of a team means having to pretend that team is flawless. I'm the sort of person who thinks that it's the fans' job to point out the flaws -- not out of malice or "hater-ism" -- but out of a sense of responsibility. I want nothing more than to see the Bills win the Super Bowl. Multiple Super Bowls if I had my way.

I know that might sound crazy because after all I'm just a guy on a message board. I live in reality and understand that owners, GMs and coaches don't run their teams based on the whims of its fans. To paraphrase Marv, if they did that they'd all be out of a job. But that doesn't mean that the fans have no impact on the direction their franchises take. Fans, as a whole, are what drives the sport. And as such, fans have always had the ability to incite change within their favorite teams. You see it happen all the time in every sport -- coaches go on the hot seat, players get traded -- sometimes in large part due to trying to keep the fans happy. Now, thanks to the internet and social media, fans have more access to players, coaches and GMs than ever before. And I believe that fans have the responsibility to talk openly about the flaws on their teams in hopes of improving their team's chances of winning a championship.

I believe that the Buffalo Bills are not being managed well. I believe that Ralph Wilson does not possess either the ability or the desire to build a winning team. I believe that Nix is a backroom hire and has done just enough to get by but not enough to build a winner. I also believe that Fitz is not capable of leading a team to a Super Bowl.

But I'm still a fan of the Buffalo Bills.

To me it's far better to voice your concerns than it is to hide your head in the sand and wish for things to improve on their own. I'm too much of a control freak to think that way -- even though I realize that thinking my opinion will somehow influence change is kinda ... nuts. But it makes me feel more connected to the team I cheer for. It makes me care more if I believe I can actually have an impact on the fortunes of my team.

Hell, isn't that why we all love going to the games in person? We want to be there and cheer as loudly as we can to impact the game and help the Bills win. If you're like me, you have superstitions -- like wearing a lucky jersey, watching the game from a certain spot. As a rational person I know these superstitions aren't really going to impact the game ... but it's more fun to believe.

And that's my way of supporting my team. Doesn't make it better than yours. Doesn't make it worse. But it's not bitching just to B word.

Edited by tgreg99

No, only those who constantly whine & cry about others who don't share the same opinion. The cool Polly's are more than OK with me.

Do you understand that this is how the world works? Aren't Dems and the GOP Americans but with different views? Why do you have such a hard time with someone not agreeing with your opinion?

Go ahead and try to find a post of me saying, "I told you the Bills would suck" I haven't done that and I won't. But by week 5, the Pollys were starting posts demanding people apologize who didn't predict playoffs and said the Bills weren't going to be good. But that's okay because they agree with you right? Seriously, grow up. People aren't always gonna see things your way.