Why do the last 12 years get lumped together

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This discussion is very simple. The Bills lost 8 of 9 to finish the season. They mishandled Spiller all season long. Gailey fell in love with the passing game and never adjusted to defenses in the second half. The 2010 class continued to fail. They lost their last game of the year by giving up 49 straight points.

So the question was asked, "why do the last 12 years get lumped together?"

Well, there are plenty on here who agree that Nix is doing a good job, and plenty who disagree, who think he is out of his depth, and that Wilson is a cheap old bugger. I think of it like this: there are 32 teams in the NFL, some of which are very big spending teams, and many of which are considered legitimate teams (as opposed to Buffalo, which has a reputation for being a bit of a joke these past few years). Now, take a team like Washington - they've spent how much more money than us, and they've hired how many TOP GM or NFL Personnel people? Or Dallas. Or any of a number of teams these past 10-15 years other than Pittsburgh or New England or Indy. Those three have been good consistently - Indy because of Manning and the wise old Polian, Pittsburgh because of the Program itself, and N.E. because of Brady and Bellicheck.

The Bills haven't spent as much - but are not the cheapest in that timespan. Nevertheless, Buddy has made as many mistakes as a lot of GM's that would come much more highly regarded. I think he is doing fine. He's made mistakes, but he has also brought this team from a mess to a team that is now on the verge of being serious. We're close to the playoff hunt - this year, hopefully. We're no longer a defense that is small and weak. We have a defense that will (I bet you) be tough this year, and not easily pushed around.

Sure, we're not loaded with the best talent, and he has let some positions go for a few years - but it isn't a plan for one year - he's been saying 3 years, and after this year we'll finally see. Give it this year, and then we can decide.

Excellent post, couldn't have said it any better!

Fans younger then myself looking out over the past decade of losing teams, bad coaching and talent evaluation ineptitude must truly think that Buddy Nix is the next Bill Polian. That Chan Gailey is one of the best offensive minds in the NFL. Perhaps both men are better then any since GM John Butler, and HC Wade Phillips.So far neither have proven to be even close to those two in terms of wins. There was a time when the fans and media were far more critical of the mistakes made by the GM and HC.

While Nix has done some very good things to change the team I still have to question why it takes 3 years to find a pass rusher, 3 years to build the line. I get that fans want to defend the guy because he IS better then anything since John Butler, but that doesn't justify all his mistakes the past 2 years in my view. Still waiting to see the proverbial baby!!

in the words of bobby byrd....right on right on