Wine study ----- go cheap

mead107

I dunno about the 2 buck chuck but there's no question you can find a nice bottle for $10. Even less if you live in CA -- I just got back from there and the wine prices were about 40% lower than what I pay at home.

I dunno about the 2 buck chuck but there's no question you can find a nice bottle for $10. Even less if you live in CA -- I just got back from there and the wine prices were about 40% lower than what I pay at home.

I noticed that too. Both liquor and wine seemed to be noticeably less in CA - which seems counterintuitive to the high-tax paradigm for CA.

I noticed that too. Both liquor and wine seemed to be noticeably less in CA - which seems counterintuitive to the high-tax paradigm for CA.

Cheap wine and no sales tax on food. They're not completely screwed up there; mostly, but not completely.

• 1 month later...

speaking of wine and technology....does anyone use a good wine rating website or app? being relatively ignorant when it comes to different wines(but more than willing to learn). I often stare at the shelves wondering what a good wine is...sure the people working are very helpful most of the time, but sometimes you are there on your own...a nice app would be nice to get ratings, opinions etc....

fyi last night i went with an ergo tempranillo from spain that the lady working there said was a very nice wine...

speaking of wine and technology....does anyone use a good wine rating website or app? being relatively ignorant when it comes to different wines(but more than willing to learn). I often stare at the shelves wondering what a good wine is...sure the people working are very helpful most of the time, but sometimes you are there on your own...a nice app would be nice to get ratings, opinions etc....

fyi last night i went with an ergo tempranillo from spain that the lady working there said was a very nice wine...

I think this is the one on my wife's phone.

http://www.nirvino.com/iphone-app-wine-ratings-guide

I just like to try different kinds as long as they are not sweet.

The only way you come out ahead on that is if you can walk to the Liquor Store. The cheap liquor/wine prices lessen the sting of buying Gasoline.

I think Gallo still makes Night Train. Their name is not on the bottle but I think they are the producer. Who would bother with 2 Buck Chuck when you have; MD 20/20, Wild Irish Rose and Thunderbird? :sick::sick::sick:

Wine Spectator has a vintage chart app that gives overall ratings to regions by year. Pretty good and free.

I work for Gallo and you'd be surprised by their brands. They are one of the largest wineries in the world. The particular job I do is print the labels for their bottles. I also print the labels for Charles Shaw ($2 Chuck) as well as many more. Oh, and yes, they still make Night Train and Thunderbird!

Love finger lakes wine, relatively cheap and tasty. I've been to almost every winery on seneca cayuga and keuka. Very fun and quite nice for being so close to wny

They now also make some pretty decent spirits too. I haven't had any but their whiskey was written up in one of my food magazines.