The Entitlement Mentality

they aren't there in great numbers: "miniscule underground economy". there will always be some cheaters. there not very well tolerated by the swiss however. they're rules people: think parochial school without the religion.

Hmm, you may be on to something here regarding Switzerland. Low taxes, small government, cheaters not tolerated, rules people.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, you may be on to something here regarding Switzerland. Low taxes, small government, cheaters not tolerated, rules people.

He's on to something else. Read the first statement. He's gonna get kicked out of the club for inferring that...

yes, if you like being told not to let your foot touch the seat next to you on the train. there is a unsubstantiated story i heard from a relative in zurich. a couple were having a party and one of the neighbor guests left early. about 1/2 hour later the police arrived at the party. the guest that left had complained about the noise. i also saw a sign she posted on facebook that showed an accordion with a line through it - wouldn't think loud accordian music would be a major problem but that's the swiss.

yes, if you like being told not to let your foot touch the seat next to you on the train. there is a unsubstantiated story i heard from a relative in zurich. a couple were having a party and one of the neighbor guests left early. about 1/2 hour later the police arrived at the party. the guest that left had complained about the noise. i also saw a sign she posted on facebook that showed an accordion with a line through it - wouldn't think loud accordian music would be a major problem but that's the swiss.

sounds like someone is getting a flaming poop bag on thier porch tonight!

So you DON'T want to be like Switzerland.

Do you have a point? At all?

I think he's looking for the Cafeterian country.

How about bagpipes? Would loud bagpipes be a major problem in your mind?

i don't think you have to mimick the bad parts to have the good parts. but i think we'd do better in the us of a with a bit more adherence to the rules. yes?

i don't think you have to mimick the bad parts to have the good parts. but i think we'd do better in the us of a with a bit more adherence to the rules. yes?

And what are the "good parts" that we should mimic? A "living wage"? That's a result...how do you achieve it? Oh, yeah...low taxes, small government (achieved in part by every able-bodied male being part of the militia), no illegal immigrants (and those that are forming just the underclass you're trying to avoid). And since that works for a country the size of Massachusetts integrated into a continental economy, it'll certainly work for the US, because everything always scales up perfectly.

Never mind that not two years ago, the Swiss were evil for their financial regulations, and the evil Swiss bankers had to be smacked into line by Saint Obama.

And what are the "good parts" that we should mimic? A "living wage"? That's a result...how do you achieve it? Oh, yeah...low taxes, small government (achieved in part by every able-bodied male being part of the militia), no illegal immigrants (and those that are forming just the underclass you're trying to avoid). And since that works for a country the size of Massachusetts integrated into a continental economy, it'll certainly work for the US, because everything always scales up perfectly.

Never mind that not two years ago, the Swiss were evil for their financial regulations, and the evil Swiss bankers had to be smacked into line by Saint Obama.

With very little manufacturing economy to speak of and virtually the entire economy based on servicing global finance and flow of capital & people surrounding banking. Yeah, US looks just like that. Hell, no other European country looks like that, and look what happened to Iceland when they tried to emulate Switzerland.

ok then. as masters of the universe lets compromise: $10/hour for minimum wage and we can keep our individuality, not to mention OUR evil bankers.

With very little manufacturing economy to speak of and virtually the entire economy based on servicing global finance and flow of capital & people surrounding banking. Yeah, US looks just like that. Hell, no other European country looks like that, and look what happened to Iceland when they tried to emulate Switzerland.

What? I thought they made watches, knives, chocolate and cheese.

ok then. as masters of the universe lets compromise: $10/hour for minimum wage and we can keep our individuality, not to mention OUR evil bankers.

Which will change nothing for the positive but will make you liberals feel like you accomplished something. And at the end of the day, it's really more about your feelings than actual accomplishment. <_<

$10/hour for minimum wage and we can keep our individuality, not to mention OUR evil bankers.

Sure, and three months after we approve a $10/hour minimum wage, people like yourself will be standing outside your trash-infested tents yelling "How can ANYONE be expected to live on such little money?!?!?!?"

Holy Crap. Switzerland sounds just like California.

the swiss franc and dollar are almost at par. 10% of swiss make less than 4000 francs/month or about $48000/year. those are numbers even the most ardent american liberal would be content with.

I suggest you get packing.

• Foreigners with no direct blood ties to Switzerland through either birth or marriage must live in the country for at least 12 years before they can apply for citizenship. (Years spent in the country between age ten and 20 count double). The person must be well integrated, familiar with customs and traditions, law abiding, and pose no threat to internal or external security.

The Federal Migration Office will then “green light” an applicant’s request to begin the naturalisation process but that does not mean citizenship is certain. Rather, cantons and municipalities have their own requirements that must be met. One canton, for example, might require applicants to live for two years in the region while another might require a decade. For more on the process, please visit the Federal Migration Office.