[closed]Rams are basically that guy selling the $600 iPad 1 on Cr

dayman

http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2012/02/28/what-is-the-rams-second-overall-pick-really-worth-not-nearly-as-much-as-the-rams-want/

Of course, the issue is what the pick might be worth. Andrew Brandt said, “Draft trade chart flawed with new CBA. Top picks are same quality player at half the price, lesser cost brings higher value.” The Rams front office now loves Andrew Brandt. The second sentence is true. The problem with that statement, though, is that the draft trade chart was already terminally flawed. It was never based on actual results and analysis. It’s real creator was Dallas minority owner Mike McCoy, and what he did was look at four years worth of draft day trades, then create a chart based on the trades that happened so Dallas would have a quick reference of perceived value. Thus, a circular argument was created, draft pick trades are worth what specific teams decided to do between 1987 to 1990, and since then has become a self-fulfilling cycle.

CLEVELAND BROWNS (4th overall pick)

Using Draft Value Chart, Rams would want: EVERY PICK IN THIS YEAR’S DRAFT PLUS 2013 2ND ROUND

Using Career Value, Rams should get: THE 4TH OVERALL PICK (1st ROUND) AND THE 36TH OVERALL PICK (2nd ROUND)

WASHINGTON REDSKINS (6th overall pick)

Using Draft Value Chart, Rams would want: EVERY PICK IN THIS YEAR’S DRAFT PLUS 2013 1ST ROUND

Using Career Value, Rams should get: THE 6TH OVERALL PICK (1st ROUND) THE 38TH OVERALL PICK (2nd ROUND), AND 6TH ROUND PICK

MIAMI DOLPHINS (8th overall pick)

Using Draft Value Chart, Rams would want: EVERY PICK IN THIS YEAR’S DRAFT PLUS 2013 1ST AND 2ND ROUND

Using Career Value, Rams should get: THE 8TH OVERALL PICK (1st ROUND) THE 40TH OVERALL PICK (2nd ROUND), AND 4TH ROUND PICK [WITH ST. LOUIS GIVING UP ITS 7TH ROUND PICK ALSO]

KANSAS CITY CHIEFS (11th overall pick)

Using Draft Value Chart, Rams would want: EVERY PICK IN THIS YEAR’S DRAFT PLUS 2013 1ST AND 2ND ROUND PLUS 2014 1ST ROUND

Using Career Value, Rams should get: THE 11TH OVERALL PICK (1st ROUND) AND THE 43RD OVERALL PICK (2nd ROUND) AND THE 75TH OVERALL PICK (3RD ROUND)

Wow.

I mean if anyone give up an entire draft for one player, and your next years number one, you are stupid.

Forget just the lack of common sense, but you also have history to show it a dumb deal. Ricky Williams ring a bell???

Only Ditka could have strong armed th eSaints owner into that deal...and thus lost his job and set the Saints back for years.

Please, Football is the ultimate team game. No one player is worth 8 players. Unless your telling me you have no clue how to evaluate talent?

My dad always used to tell me that something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. I don't care what the Rams think they should get for the #2 slot. It's only worth the best offer someone is extending. I've got a feeling they're gonna be left standing with their junk in their hands and having to make a pick at #2 if their price doesn't come down drastically.

I understand why the Rams want to trade the pick.

If I were them, I'd ask for a package of conditional draft picks spread over the course of three to four years, (if you can do it) to minimize the upfront cost to bidding teams to get more competition and spread out the potential windfall. It keeps my team salaries from busting at the seams with two years of high draft picks and I have a chance of picking up some high draft picks in successive drafts. You infuse talent over a time period. Gives the Rams a lot of flexibility in meeting whatever team needs they've got year to year.

Why force yourself to take extra players in the draft this year if you don't want to?

If RGIII excels two-three years from now, those conditional draft picks you have in your cupboard becomes very valuable.

Edited by dpberr

My dad always used to tell me that something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. I don't care what the Rams think they should get for the #2 slot. It's only worth the best offer someone is extending. I've got a feeling they're gonna be left standing with their junk in their hands and having to make a pick at #2 if their price doesn't come down drastically.

Interestingly, there was a guy on NFLN offering the opinion that the Rams should stay pat anyway and take Kalil - who the Vikes will probably take if they don't.

If they are even considering that option they are still in a very envious no-lose position - again, as the OP's source points out, because the new bargaining agreement makes the high picks a lot less of a rip-off rookie salary-wise.

[This is an automated response]

This subject matter is being currently being discussed or has already been discussed in a previous thread.

Please consider using the "search" function before starting new topics.

Thank you.