tgregg and Mark Vader are in trouble...

Just Jack

Can you see the screen from the bar? That would be awesome to slam beers and watch a big screen movie at the same time.

This place is awesome..think a chain here in the south

http://cobbcinebistro.com/stony/

Really enjoyable way to see a movie with adults..no kids (tools) allowed. The set up in the theatre is awesome..huge leather seats with plenty of room on all sides, great ergonomics to eat and drink during the movie, even an ingenuis little system to keep your pitcher of beer cold throughout the movie.

Little pricey at $13 a ticket...but the amenities well worth it.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We bring our own stuff in, usually water, candy for the kids, popcorn sometimes. One time I even brought in a couple egg mcmuffins.

This is what I do.

I used to work in a movie theatre and I know how outrageous the prices are.

That's how theatre's make their money, they get nothing from the box office.

Most theatres don't care if you bring in your own food, although AMC can be very stingy.

Edited by Mark Vader

From what I've read and heard(used to be in TV Sales and I worked in the post-production side of movies/tvs) the 3D TV sales aren't going as well as hoped. The market just isn't developing. Glasses-free? That would basically be hologram TV?, haven't heard any real development in that. Besides projection into fog, which disney has been doing for years, its holographic. Not sure if that is what you meant. The way the current 3d technology works(which is with light wave lengths) glasses-free seems a way off IMO.

No, I'm talking about actual glasses-free 3D television. No holograms, no fog.

For example:

http://www.neowin.net/news/ultra-d-seamlessly-converts-your-2d-to-glasses-free-3d

Toshiba has an amazing looking TV that uses head tracking cameras to provide a 3D image as well. I don't know how it works, but it looked really good.

That's the direction most of the TV manufacturers are going. But regardless, since most televisions built nowadays have 3D built, in, it's not going anywhere. Yeah, people aren't rushing out to BUY new TVs with 3D -- but if it comes in the package for free, the market will eventually have enough content where lots of people will want to watch it.

There's a place out here that sells alcohol, but every time I walk by, I always see parents bringing in a flock of children... That's actually beginning to make sense to me now.

The AFI in Silver Spring sells alcohol. It's the only think that made Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy tolerable.

For example:

http://www.neowin.net/news/ultra-d-seamlessly-converts-your-2d-to-glasses-free-3d

Toshiba has an amazing looking TV that uses head tracking cameras to provide a 3D image as well. I don't know how it works, but it looked really good.

That's the direction most of the TV manufacturers are going. But regardless, since most televisions built nowadays have 3D built, in, it's not going anywhere. Yeah, people aren't rushing out to BUY new TVs with 3D -- but if it comes in the package for free, the market will eventually have enough content where lots of people will want to watch it.

3-D gives me a splitting headache, because it's too artificial. Normally, when you focus on something, you have limited depth of field (look at something close, far objects are out of focus. Something far, near objects are.) The current state of 3-D typically has focus throughout the depth of field that leaves my eyes wondering where, exactly, they're supposed to focus. It takes about ten minutes for me to get an eyestrain-induced headache.

So until they can track me in three dimensions instead of two, I have to pass. And they're not going to do that until they shine lasers into my eyes to measure the focal length of my eyeball moment by moment.

3-D gives me a splitting headache, because it's too artificial. Normally, when you focus on something, you have limited depth of field (look at something close, far objects are out of focus. Something far, near objects are.) The current state of 3-D typically has focus throughout the depth of field that leaves my eyes wondering where, exactly, they're supposed to focus. It takes about ten minutes for me to get an eyestrain-induced headache.

So until they can track me in three dimensions instead of two, I have to pass. And they're not going to do that until they shine lasers into my eyes to measure the focal length of my eyeball moment by moment.

I'm not a fan of 3D myself either -- not because I get headaches but because I don't think it adds anything to the movie and in fact is usually somewhat of a distraction. I'd much rather they focus on the 4K TVs. Toshiba had one of those and the picture looked *stunning*. I want 4K content far more than I want 3D content. (for those who aren't aware, 4K TVs have 4x the resolution of regular HDTV).

I'm not a fan of 3D myself either -- not because I get headaches but because I don't think it adds anything to the movie and in fact is usually somewhat of a distraction.

I imagine someone once said the same thing about Technicolor or digital. Like anything, it's a tool in the director's/producer's tool bag. Well used, it adds to the story. Overused, it detracts.

So far, every use of 3-D I've seen has been gratuitous ("Hey, look, 3-D!") At some point, someone's going to figure out how to make use of it subtly to complement rather than enhance the existing imagery.

Where'd you get that from...? Most TVs have 3D built in nowadays, and there's big money being spent on glasses-free 3DTVs that actually work well. I'm not a fan of 3D, but to say it's going to be gone soon doesn't seem accurate to me, especially after being at CES.

Maybe 3D TVs won't go away, but are you sure your optimism is because you were recently at the CES ? 3D TVs have indeed been tough sells and the electronics manufacturers are just not used to sticking with products that do not sell in large quantities. There was a time when this was not true, where new electronic gizmos would have a long life and enjoy strong prices (VCRs, Walkmans, portable cassette players ...) but not any more. SIgnificant technology jumps such as DVDs, flat screen TVs quickly become commodities and their prices drop precipitously. This has not been the case with the 3D TVs and hence I see trouble ahead.

Back to the OP, I normally just pay for the movie ticket and either carry in a cup of water or sneak in a can of pop. I can live without food and snacks for 2 hours. I think the concept of popcorn and coke is more due to force of habit for most people anyway.

The AFI in Silver Spring sells alcohol. It's the only think that made Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy tolerable.

Do you come from the elite Michael Bay school of movie watching ? TTSS was brilliant, IMO.

Edited by Fan in Chicago

This place is awesome..think a chain here in the south

http://cobbcinebistro.com/stony/

Really enjoyable way to see a movie with adults..no kids (tools) allowed. The set up in the theatre is awesome..huge leather seats with plenty of room on all sides, great ergonomics to eat and drink during the movie, even an ingenuis little system to keep your pitcher of beer cold throughout the movie.

Little pricey at $13 a ticket...but the amenities well worth it.

I hardly need a gadget to keep my pitcher cold-I just keep refilling it :beer:

Do you come from the elite Michael Bay school of movie watching ? TTSS was brilliant, IMO.

:lol:

Did you at least like TTSS?

I think it should've been nominated for best picture.

No, I'm not from the Michael Bay school (though I'll admit, his movies have their place, but that place is "entertaining popcorn flicks," not "good movies".

And no, I didn't really like TTSS. I didn't think it was a bad movie, it just felt wooden to me, and I liked virtually none of the performances (including Oldman's, who I'm almost always a big fan of).

No, I'm not from the Michael Bay school (though I'll admit, his movies have their place, but that place is "entertaining popcorn flicks," not "good movies".

And no, I didn't really like TTSS. I didn't think it was a bad movie, it just felt wooden to me, and I liked virtually none of the performances (including Oldman's, who I'm almost always a big fan of).

I was about to ask you about Oldman. I didn't see it either, but I can't picture him doing anything that isn't enjoyable at this point.

Yep, it's pretty funny when you look at the prices for the drinks. You're exactly right that's it's like a quarter difference between each one, lol. You can have some a small for $4.25 or the huge one for $5.00...makes the decision an easy one for me :DAnd I don't know what it is, but a big cherry coke on ice just tastes better at the theater...I have no idea why...probably just in my head, but I do tend to enjoy that during the movie.

The reason why cherry coke or any soda pop tastes better at the theatre is because you are getting it straight from the fountain. Just like you get it from a bar or a restaurant.

It's a lot different than going to a store to get it in a can or bottle.

For example:

Weren't you also convinced that HD DVDs were going to beat out Blu-ray? :bag:

No one brings in booze? :thumbdown:

I've got a friend of a friend story about that, I heard it second hand. My friends friend brought in booze, it was either beer or wine coolers, in glass bottles. Halfway through the movie the friend fell asleep/passed out, and dropped the bottle onto the floor, where it rolled all the way down to the front. He said you could see people looking around trying to figure out where it had come from by the noise.

The reason why cherry coke or any soda pop tastes better at the theatre is because you are getting it straight from the fountain. Just like you get it from a bar or a restaurant.

When I'm stopping at a convience store for a soda, I prefer to get a fountain drink, instead of just a bottle.

I've got a friend of a friend story about that, I heard it second hand. My friends friend brought in booze, it was either beer or wine coolers, in glass bottles. Halfway through the movie the friend fell asleep/passed out, and dropped the bottle onto the floor, where it rolled all the way down to the front. He said you could see people looking around trying to figure out where it had come from by the noise.

When I'm stopping at a convience store for a soda, I prefer to get a fountain drink, instead of just a bottle.

I prefer a can. Yummy yummy aluminum phosphate...

I guess I never figured there would be that much difference, but there certainly is. I drink pop all the time at home, but it's a real treat when I go to the theater.