Bracket time ...

CosmicBills

It's March which means it's once again time for everyone to start thinking about their brackets. But, for those of you that love TV like me, I thought I would share this with the Wall ...

Here's the article with the bracket Vulture is using. The first round match ups are:

Sopranos vs Six Feet Under

The Shield vs NYPD Blue

Breaking Bad vs Friday Night Lights

Twin Peaks vs Battlestar

The Wire vs My So Called Life

X-Files vs West Wing

Buffy the Vampire Slayer vs Deadwood

Mad Men vs LOST

Admittedly, I think they are leaving out some worthy shows (24 and ER spring to mind) and their seedings are kind of rough (poor Friday Night Lights, never got a good spot on the schedule from NBC and now are forced to face off against Breaking Bad in the first round!).

They have the analysis up for the first match up -- Sopranos vs Six Feet Under -- but I think we can do our own debating.

It's March which means it's once again time for everyone to start thinking about their brackets. But, for those of you that love TV like me, I thought I would share this with the Wall ...

Here's the article with the bracket Vulture is using. The first round match ups are:

The Shield vs NYPD Blue

Twin Peaks vs Battlestar

X-Files vs West Wing

Mad Men vs LOST

Admittedly, I think they are leaving out some worthy shows (24 and ER spring to mind) and their seedings are kind of rough (poor Friday Night Lights, never got a good spot on the schedule from NBC and now are forced to face off against Breaking Bad in the first round!).

They have the analysis up for the first match up -- Sopranos vs Six Feet Under -- but I think we can do our own debating.

As much as I love Six Feet Under...I'm still going with The Sopranos.

As for the rest of them:

Blue over The Shield

Breaking Bad over Friday Night Lights

Battlestar Galactica over Twin Peaks

The Wire over So-Called Life

X-Files over The West Wing (that one is tough for me)

Buffy over Deadwood

Mad Men over LOST (Could never get into LOST, even after forcing myself through the first two seasons)

Edited by LeviF91

No dexter???

I was surprised that wasn't included as well ... though I guess maybe it didn't make the cut because it was based on an existing book? (Just guessing, I really don't know).

As much as I love Six Feet Under...I'm still going with The Sopranos.

As for the rest of them:

Blue over The Shield

Battlestar Galactica over Twin Peaks

The Wire over So-Called Life

X-Files over The West Wing (that one is tough for me)

Buffy over Deadwood

Mad Men over LOST (Could never get into LOST, even after forcing myself through the first two seasons)

Interesting choices! I'd love to hear why you made your picks (if you care to ramble about 'em).

I think the matchups are actually quite interesting. The inclusion of My So Called Life (one season!) and then matching it against the Wire is the only match-up that doesn't seem to make sense. But all the others are cool. They didn't go for the obvious matchups (like pitting Twin Peaks against LOST for example).

The Shield vs NYPD Blue

Twin Peaks vs Battlestar

X-Files vs West Wing

Mad Men vs LOST

Sopranos

The Shield*

Breaking Bad

Battlestar Galactica*

The Wire

X-Files*

Deadwood

Mad Men

* These are three contests that I really don't care about..."X-Files" is the only one of these shows I gave more than a casual view to, but it got pretty bad, so I stopped watching... Sopranos, Mad Men, & Breaking Bad are my 3 faves of all time. Sopranos clear #1, Breaking Bad and Mad Men I could filp flop at #2 and #3 any given day, while "The Wire" would be #4...would have picked Friday Night Lights over any of the rest of the shows.

I was surprised that wasn't included as well ... though I guess maybe it didn't make the cut because it was based on an existing book? (Just guessing, I really don't know).

Though I have watched it from the begining, I gotta say, "Dexter" has gotten progressively worse each season it has been on.

I wish they would have come up with something else to replace Mad Men and Breaking Bad. Everything else has completed its run (correct me if I'm wrong) and can be judged as a whole.

I wish they would have come up with something else to replace Mad Men and Breaking Bad. Everything else has completed its run (correct me if I'm wrong) and can be judged as a whole.

This is a good point ... I missed that when I first looked at it. It does make a bit of a difference as a bad last season can leave a sour taste and injure the legacy of a show.

This is a good point ... I missed that when I first looked at it. It does make a bit of a difference as a bad last season can leave a sour taste and injure the legacy of a show.

Or, if you're The X-Files, the last three seasons.

Yeah, like when some robot drug lord from Mars takes over on Breaking Bad. It will have some sort of clever comical name.

Or, if you're The X-Files, the last three seasons.

The X-Files was one of the first shows on TV (for me) that consistently awed me with the storytelling. Being able to seamlessly move from a monster of the week episode to a dense mythology/serialized storyline was cutting edge at the time. It took what Lynch tried to do with Twin Peaks and laid the path for Chase to follow with the Sopranos.

Despite the fondness in my heart for this show and what it did for television as a medium -- you are ABSOLUTELY correct. The seasons after the first movie should be erased from history.

The X-Files was one of the first shows on TV (for me) that consistently awed me with the storytelling. Being able to seamlessly move from a monster of the week episode to a dense mythology/serialized storyline was cutting edge at the time. It took what Lynch tried to do with Twin Peaks and laid the path for Chase to follow with the Sopranos.

Despite the fondness in my heart for this show and what it did for television as a medium -- you are ABSOLUTELY correct. The seasons after the first movie should be erased from history.

You've hit on one of the reasons why I pick The X-Files over The West Wing. The X-Files really set a new standard for serial TV. Too many people remember seasons 7, 8, and 9 (and to a lesser extent 6, though I liked season 6) and write it off, forgetting that seasons 1-3 contained arguably some of the best TV in the last 30 years or so.

Sopranos > Six Feet Under

The Shield vs NYPD Blue: Draw

Breaking Bad > Friday Night Lights

Twin Peaks > Battlestar Galactica

The Wire > My So Called Life

X Files > West Wing

Deadwood > Buffy

Mad Men > Lost

And a serious WTF :huh::censored:

No Sons of Anarchy or Dexter on that list?!?!?!?!

And a shout out for The Tudors, but I guess I understand the omission being on that foreign BBC network