The draft, free agency etc

It's very easy to speculate what the Bills will do in free agency or during the draft. It's easy to come up with all kinds of scenarios but I think we might be guilty of over-thinking the issue.

Ask yourself, what was the Bills biggest deficiency last season and the answer is painfully obvious. Pressure on the passer is an absolute MUST for this offseason. Whether it's from FA or the draft, the Bills simply MUST address our inability to put pressure on the QB.

It's very easy to speculate what the Bills will do in free agency or during the draft. It's easy to come up with all kinds of scenarios but I think we might be guilty of over-thinking the issue.

Ask yourself, what was the Bills biggest deficiency last season and the answer is painfully obvious. Pressure on the passer is an absolute MUST for this offseason. Whether it's from FA or the draft, the Bills simply MUST address our inability to put pressure on the QB.

But how to do so without breaking the bank?

Truer words have never been spoken....it will be interesting to see the approach that is taken in FA....will they be willing to overpay Mario Williams, and if the choose to do so, can they convince him to come here? Or do they go after an older player like Mathis or Abraham? What is becoming pretty clear is that Buddy and Chan don't see a sure fire pass rusher at the 10 spot in this draft class, and any of the other prospects that may be available in round 2 may not contribute right away (Curry, Chandler Jones, Mercilius).

pass rush? duh...didnt you see the Redskins game? were fine! draft a RB!!!!!!!!!!!

And a scat back at that.

The Bills still need starters at several positions including DE, OLB, OL, CB, WR....So they cannot go wrong with any pick @ 10 other than a RB or a Safety.

It's true. And the solution to this problem won't be found in one player or two.

Don't get me wrong, Mario Williams would go a long ways towards shoring up the Bills pass rush problems. If the front office was willing to go hard after Williams, he could do just the trick. But I just don't see it happening (though I hope I'm wrong). And now with Avril being Franchised, the list of impact pass rushers available is down to one. I have no interest in signing any DE who's on the wrong side of 30 (guys like Abraham or Carter) or one year wonders like Mincey (though he'd be worth an interview out of sheer desperation).

With only one impact DE available, and a very weak FA class of 4-3 OLBs, the Bills are going to have to get creative with how they add sacks in '12. I think the best way to do it, given the Bills' operational handicaps, is to add a couple mid tier guys at both DE and OLB and compliment them with a first day rookie.

I actually think that part of the problem is solved without doing a thing (and I am definately NOT saying we should do nothing)

Willams and Darius are going to be in the middle of our defensive line.....both of them are dominant players who get after the passer.....Kelsay has shown that when the players AROUND him are quality....he doesn't prove himself to be a weak link...also he goes back to the DE position where he never should have left...he is NOT a linebacker. So we are solid and unspectacular at that position. This leaves the other end position....THIS is where if we can put a good player there this defense is going to really be good.

Behind them they have drafted corners who show promise (Williams, Rogers)....they have veteran players who can make plays (Florence is a much better player when there is a pass rush) we need another outside linebacker.

If we fix this defense we will give our offense more chances with the ball....that in itself will get us to the playoffs.