Late-season prime time games

BuffaloWings

After that Cleveland-Miami "game", I'd have a hard time convincing someone that the late-season prime time games shouldn't be moved so that we'd see an intriguing matchup on Sunday night. At least 5 afternoon games with playoff implications could have been moved to the 8:30 slot:

Houston vs Jacksonville

Baltimore vs Pittsburgh

San Diego vs Indy

Carolina vs Tampa Bay

New England vs Jets

I was strongly against this idea a couple of years ago (only because it wasn't fair to the ticket-holders), but after seeing that debacle, I can't see why ESPN or ABC will want to subject the public to that again.

And frankly, I'd rather sit by the Christmas tree on December 26th to see the Steelers & Ravens fight it out in wintry Pittsburgh than 2 of the three worst teams play in Miami (yeah yeah, I know it was 30 with the wind chill...).

I don't think they should. The last few Monday Niters have proven that the irrelevance of the game does not mean that it's a bad football game. I'm an old school fan who always felt that I am a Football Fan first, a Bills Fan second.

I love football and there's something to be said for a hard fought game between two professional clubs, regardless of their records.

We'd have missed the last 3 MNF beauts:

Dallas/Seattle

KC/Tenn

NE/Mia

i don't know. I guess there's an argument for everything, but I find very few NFL games that I don't enjoy.

I'm an old school fan who always felt that I am a Football Fan first, a Bills Fan second.

[snip]

i don't know. I guess there's an argument for everything, but I find very few NFL games that I don't enjoy.

180798[/snapback]

I won't argue with that...I usually feel the same way. If there's an NFL game on, I'll watch it regardless of who's playing.

However, I doubt I was the only one with the feeling of "Ugh...I'd rather not watch Cleveland & Miami". If I feel like that, then the networks and the league might feel the same way. I think in a situation like that (where both teams are out of the playoffs and have nothing to play for), then the NFL should step in and reschedule.

180798[/snapback]

I love football. Period. I don't care who the hell is playing in primetime games. I sat through that entire debacle last night and when it started to get pathetic, I just reminded myself that after eight months of waiting, I'm one month away from no more football for another eight months.

Believe me. Come April or May, I'd give anything to watch a matchup of the Browns and Fish JUST to have some football to watch.

Yes, it would be tv fan convenient and very advantageous to the networks.

However, it would be a logistical nightmare for the teams and the "live" fans.

It was killing me that I could not watch both the Bills and Jets games yesterday. I did not care who won the brown fish game. So move the CBS game from 4PM on CBS to 8:30PM on ESPN. Hell just write the schedule in pencil and carry an eraser. :D

Imagine what it would do to travelers, hotel reservations, vacation days, family plans ......

Imagine what it would do to stadium event booking, equipment managers, airline arrangements for the teams (not to mention all their STUFF) ....

logistical nightmare! :)

BTW: I am a customer service logistics analyst ;)

With the amount of money networks are shelling out for the games, a dynamic late-season schedule is inevitable.

While the night games have been competitive, ABC and ESPN have to be a bit miffed that they've wasted two nationally televised games on the pathetic Dolphins the last two weeks.

Considering how the season has played out, they'd much rather have Manning Vs. Brees as their game. Or the Steelers vs. the Ravens.

I'm for this change. To keep the product viable, the NFL has to offer attractive matchups during prime time. Die-hard fans will watch any game, but the ratings boost comes from attracting the fringe fans with marquee matchups.

To be fair to the fans, they'll probably determine which game they'll show 4-6 weeks before it's played.

I was talking about this yesterday with a friend of mine and I was

suggesting that ABC and ESPN should be able to select their game

from week 10 to week17 (for the last 8 weeks) with a 3 week

window.

Both ABC and ESPN should make their selection 3 weeks in

advance and should be able to select alternatively. For example,

in week 10 ABC should be able to pick only a CBS matchup while

in week 11 it should be able to pick only a FOX matchup. ABC

should be allowed to make at most 3 substitutions a year out of

the 8 weeks so that they don't change just as they please.

With the amount of money networks are shelling out for the games, a dynamic late-season schedule is inevitable.

While the night games have been competitive, ABC and ESPN have to be a bit miffed that they've wasted two nationally televised games on the pathetic Dolphins the last two weeks.

Considering how the season has played out, they'd much rather have Manning Vs. Brees as their game.  Or the Steelers vs. the Ravens.

I'm for this change.  To keep the product viable, the NFL has to offer attractive matchups during prime time.  Die-hard fans will watch any game, but the ratings boost comes from attracting the fringe fans with marquee matchups.

To be fair to the fans, they'll probably determine which game they'll show 4-6 weeks before it's played.

180937[/snapback]

i'm tired of "fringe fans" influencing the league wallets. there was nothing wrong with MNF, but boy did they change things to get that "fringe fan" rating. even selling their soul (the T.O. skit, silly "Sacked" episodes, etc.). Not to mention when they started changing rules to benefit offenses and scoring. And have you ever watched a Super Bowl halftime you enjoyed???? As a football fan? Gimme a break.

It shows in their desperation with last year's shameless show. I'm sure a few more fringe fans will be watching the Super Bowl this year....partying during the 1st half, WATCHING the halftime show, then checking back in around the 4th quarter to see if they won a pool.

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain: fringe fans

;)