Ben Stien On Servicemen Forced To Pay More

Pretty shameful that unionized federal employees are not having pay more for insurance and the US military people are.

http://spectator.org/archives/2012/02/29/no-there-there

We could give Miltary personel the gold standard of benefits, but people don't want to fund it with taxes... costs go up, you have to cut somwhere- benefits are typically first.

We could give Miltary personel the gold standard of benefits, but people don't want to fund it with taxes... costs go up, you have to cut somwhere- benefits are typically first.

I'm the first one to trumpet the benefits of government fiscal responsibility. But why the military? Why not unionized federal employees? Some brainless overpaid clerk that would make 2/3 the money in the private sector. If that. If any group under government employ deserves the gold standard, it's the military.

I'm the first one to trumpet the benefits of government fiscal responsibility. But why the military? Why not unionized federal employees? Some brainless overpaid clerk that would make 2/3 the money in the private sector. If that. If any group under government employ deserves the gold standard, it's the military.

I don't disgree, I always regard the armed forces at the top.... mostly because I would be way to much a hair-pie to sign-up..... so I appreciate the boys and girls who have to the gumption to do so...

The cost of benny's both for retired and active duty miltary has to overshadow the wages of Federal employees, so that is probably why they chose to hack there... bigger pie...

I have a good idea- start hacking down the compensation, excpense accounts, budget and retirement plans for these lifetime politicians in Washington who live high on the hog? Those do nothing bastards skim the cream why a enlisted guy gets nailed.... mystery to me.

Broken Record Alert- we CANNOT fund all of our committments with the current amount of taxes coming in annually... people want the miltary to be taken care of, but heck if they are going to pay for it.... seniors will riot of SS or MC get touched, but how many would vote for a tax increases to fund them by their children... it is a house of cards IMO

I blame both the politicians and the groups that represent veterans and actives on "The Hill". They haven't raised TriCare rates for a VERY long time (if ever). Because of that, they've not kept pace with what's going on in the rest of the country.

I don't think most veterans would have a problem with a 3-5% increase annually but when a politician asks for something along the lines of 300+%, there's going to be serious blow back. It's made more disgusting by how many Gulf/Afghanistan vets who're woefully under cared for and are having to go out of their own pockets to get the help they need.

Of course our "leaders" could go back and try to actually fix the things that drive up the cost of medical care in this country but that would require work and pissing off people who tend to give them lots of money for elections and cushy board positions when they retire, so instead we'll get abominations like "ObamaCare" and proposed 300+% increases on people who served their country.

Keep the 2 party system in place, keep getting shat on. dry.gif

At least my 300% increase came over a 20 year period.

Anyway, history will tell... This is why you don't start poor wars in the first place! What is really new?

Don't ask non-military employees to take a bath!

Senator Ben Cardin (MD) sez: federal employees' jobs are "more complicated and difficult" than analogous non-government jobs.

Sen. Ben Cardin of Maryland spoke to members of the National Treasury Employees Union on Wednesday, saying that federal government jobs are “much more complicated and difficult … and not being compensated fairly when compared to the private sector.” Despite Cardin’s claims to the contrary, a recent Congressional Budget Office study concluded that rank-and-file government employees are already paid 16 percent more than their private sector counterparts.
Edited by UConn James

I agree. Just give the guys in uniform the gold standard. Why should civilian employees go to the war zone and profit handsomely?

I just moved 2 million dollars of product for the advancement of the private sector and the nation's ecomomy... I am a unionized fed employee. The nation's infrastructrure here has been paid 500 times over in the 50 years... Wow... Quite a bit of bang for the taxpayer's buck I say and the chump change they pay me... Not exactly a gov't clerk though...:P

At least my 300% increase came over a 20 year period.

Anyway, history will tell... This is why you don't start poor wars in the first place! What is really new?

Wars, programs and benefits there's no way we'll be able to afford, giveaways to political contributors, etc. Nothing ever changes except the letter on the ballot that comes after the crook's name.

Wars, programs and benefits there's no way we'll be able to afford, giveaways to political contributors, etc. Nothing ever changes except the letter on the ballot that comes after the crook's name.

Now how many of you out there could have guessed that Darin writes greeting cards for a living?