Have a DUI? Want to go to Canada? Now you can!

Just Jack

A welcoming change: Canada to ease entry restrictions for U.S. visitors starting March 1

Starting Thursday, Canada will make it easier for U.S. citizens convicted of many misdemeanors, including driving while intoxicated, to visit the country. “In line with Canada’s federal tourism strategy, Citizenship and Immigration Canada and the Canada Border Services Agency will facilitate the entry of some visitors who are currently inadmissible due to one conviction for offences, such as mischief or driving under the influence,” said CIC spokesman Bill Brown in an email to the Times.

While it is ultimately up to a CBSA officer’s discretion whether a visitor is “admissible,” beginning Thursday, border officials will be directed to give Americans who meet the criteria under the new policies entry to Canada after they fill out a temporary resident permit form. Valid as a one-time pass, the permit is issued for a specific, and often short, period of time and expires upon the departure from the country.

Cripes... Went into NF ONT just before Christmas... Wasn't sure what the regs were... So I went into Duty Free to ask... I am such a dolt! They say they didn't know... "But you gotta go over the bridge (Rainbow) because you can't back out of the lot!" Yikes... Bought the token and crossed... Like the good ole days... The Canadian customs lady just asked where we were from. Now after dropping about 500 bucks in Ontario and about 6 hours later we decide to come home... Boy did the American customs agent read us the riot act. Children's passports were in Illinois... Ours just expired and they were home too. We had other ID though... And vouched for the children (actually had copies of birth certificates in with their insurance cards if we needed to pull them out in a pinch)... The American customs agent wasn't too happy with the Canadians... I thought to myself: "What they won't let us back in to our own country!" ;) ;)

Actually he said that expired passports will work just as long as nothing changed and you look sorta the same! :blink: Passports are such a money racket!