Unknown DE Jake Bequette

Trader

Jake Bequette DE - check his combine numbers on football's future. Projected 3 or 4th round but his numbers look as good as anyones. 23 Sacks during his career at Arkansas.

certainly not unknown.

hes a top 100 pick from an SEC school.

I think hes the type that wouldnt surprise me as a mid round value guy depending on where he gets positioned on draft day.

Speaking of pass rushing, edge rushers....I can think of Cameron Wake as one player that has been a really good find as of late for the rival Dolphins...

Along with draft and free agency, does anyone else think that the Bills should be looking every year at the CFL to find their best pass rusher and bring them in 'til one clicks?

Speaking of pass rushing, edge rushers....I can think of Cameron Wake as one player that has been a really good find as of late for the rival Dolphins...

Along with draft and free agency, does anyone else think that the Bills should be looking every year at the CFL to find their best pass rusher and bring them in 'til one clicks?

The Bills made a competitive offer to Wake. He chose Miami.

Which as much as we kill the guy- a 10 year starter isn't awful value for any pick, especially a guy after the first.

Agreed. If Kelsay was a 3rd rotational DE, he would be extremely valuable.

And JB is very well known and a guy I'd love to get in the mid rounds. Very productive player in the SEC. 1st round pass rushers bust at a very high level. I'd love the Bills to spend at least 3 picks on pass rushers. You never know which guy will turn into a star (Jared Allen was a 4th rounder).

Agreed. If Kelsay was a 3rd rotational DE, he would be extremely valuable.

And JB is very well known and a guy I'd love to get in the mid rounds. Very productive player in the SEC. 1st round pass rushers bust at a very high level. I'd love the Bills to spend at least 3 picks on pass rushers. You never know which guy will turn into a star (Jared Allen was a 4th rounder).

Similar Build to Jared Allen too, I'm also going with Jared Crick as the next JJ Watt. He was injured most of the year so there is a good chance he slides to the second round and he has equal rating for 43 and 34 DE so he fits the big lineman, hybrid players we are looking for.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

The Bills made a competitive offer to Wake. He chose Miami.

Problem is the Bills make "competitive" offers to a lot of players, yet they always sign with the other team. Make me wonder what their definition of "competitive" is. Or, said another way, Ralph Is Cheap.

Problem is the Bills make "competitive" offers to a lot of players, yet they always sign with the other team. Make me wonder what their definition of "competitive" is. Or, said another way, Ralph Is Cheap.

Or the player liked Miami and a different position in a different scheme?

As "NoSaint" alluded to, it was a combo of things. Miami was the better team, having come off of winning the division in 2008 and appearing to be headed in the right direction. They also played the 3-4, which Wake liked better. And lastly, Florida has no state income tax. But sure, "Ralph is cheap."

Checklist

Money

Winning tradition

Winning coach

Great QB

of great young QB prospect

maybe the weather and qualitiy of life in the offseason

The Bills need to manufacture some kind of success before they can expect to interest the average free agent in their program.

If we got him in the 3rd it would be a solid pick IMO. Any later would be great value. I think he'll be off the board we pick in round 3....possibly because we chose him in round 2. I wouldn't love the pick in round 2, but I do think he can be a good player.

Some very underwhelming video of Bequette against Texas A&M:

http://draftbreakdown.com/jake-bequette

He's a very limited athlete.

I guess we see two different things. I saw two sacks a whole bunch of QB pressures. I also saw a player who plays hard every down.

On the negative side he got pancaked once (tendency to play a little high methinks). He was taken to the ground on another play and run on for a first down once.

A&M did score a touchdown on a short run but I thought he filled his gap pretty well.

This guy is not a perfect player but I did not see athletic shortcomings. We are are talking about a guy that could be gotten for sure with a mid to late second round pick, perhaps later. He could use some NFL coaching for sure. If the combine numbers test anything it's pure athletic ability. I respectfully submit that his numbers in the 40, shuttles and bench compare favorably with the top players in the draft. He is also pretty long. If is not an athlete then I would like to know what standard you are holding him to?

Edited by Trader

I guess we see two different things. I saw two sacks a whole bunch of QB pressures. I also saw a player who plays hard every down.

On the negative side he got pancaked once (tendency to play a little high methinks). He was taken to the ground on another play and run on for a first down once.

A&M did score a touchdown on a short run but I thought he filled his gap pretty well.

This guy is not a perfect player but I did not see athletic shortcomings. We are are talking about a guy that could be gotten for sure with a mid to late second round pick, perhaps later. He could use some NFL coaching for sure. If the combine numbers test anything it's pure athletic ability. I respectfully submit that his numbers in the 40, shuttles and bench compare favorably with the top players in the draft. He is also pretty long. If is not an athlete then I would like to know what standard you are holding him to?

Well I don't know what his times were at the combine and I don't care… I'm judging his athleticism by the video.

I'm seeing a guy who's pretty strong who has average quickness and below average speed.

He looks to me like a guy whose game will not translate well to the next level… his marginal attributes will become liabilities against NFL blockers, IMO.

He looks like a mid-rounder to me… but that was only about 25 plays in one game.