I'm Really Hurting Today...

ajzepp

I'm sorry for your loss, and having experienced this about a year or so ago I will forward great advice typically given by Alaska Darin in these threads.

Go get another one. The shelters are loaded with them and they need to be rescued. Call your vet, or go to the adoptions at the local PetSmarts, etc., but do not wait. Go get another pet.

It is absolutely the best thing you could do right now.

Aw, my man. Im so so sorry to hear this. It's never easy to lose a dog. My heart goes out to you.

My pups are very dear and important to me, and while theyre young, even thinking about that inevitable day can bring me to tears.

I give you MAJOR props for doing it exactly right and being there with him through the final moments. It is very hard to do, but you were there for him just like he has been there for you. Outside of providing a happy, loving home for 16 years, that is the most important thing you could have done. I promise you, he crossed over feeling safe and secure, and he will be waiting for you whenever you have a chance to meet again.

Dogs are pleasers by nature. Their entire existence, according to them, is to make their human happy. Im sure he knew how happy he made you, and that he did his job well.

Im also sure that, after you take however long you need to get back to "normal", he would want you to take the opportunity to provide that same loving home to another dog in need.

Best wishes, bud. Hang in there.

AJ, that's terrible news. I, like others here have said, know the heartbreak of having to put down a dog friend like that. It's a testament to how much we love them - how deeply we grieve their loss.

LA gave good advice. Almost wish I had done that, 'cept I developed asthma and getting another dog at that point was not in the best interest of my personal physical health. Dogs are love. Peace.

You guys are awesome...seriously. For not having met any of you in person, you're the best friends a guy could ever have :)

Thanks for the PMs you guys have sent, as well. Today has been a better day, for sure.

You guys are awesome...seriously. For not having met any of you in person, you're the best friends a guy could ever have :)

Thanks for the PMs you guys have sent, as well. Today has been a better day, for sure.

Yeah but in a week we'll all have forgotten about your damn dog and back to being !@#$ing !@#$s.

Well some of us in less than a week. :bag:

Yeah but in a week we'll all have forgotten about your damn dog and back to being !@#$ing !@#$s.

Well some of us in less than a week. :bag:

lol, I wouldn't have it any other way :D

I'm sorry for your loss, and having experienced this about a year or so ago I will forward great advice typically given by Alaska Darin in these threads.

Go get another one. The shelters are loaded with them and they need to be rescued. Call your vet, or go to the adoptions at the local PetSmarts, etc., but do not wait. Go get another pet.

It is absolutely the best thing you could do right now.

I agree. Start in with a new friend soon. It will help fill the void and keep some of your routines while building some new ones. There's no reason to learn to go without before getting your next. Plus, it will save a pooch from another night of uncertainty. Just my 2 cents.

AJ,

Just saw the thread now. Very sorry for your loss. LA's advice is sound. When you're ready, get another one.

Wife's cat passed away in my arms last Spring, and I expect our older dog to go sometime in the near future. He can't hear, has cataracts, and not much of a sense of smell, and arthritis but ol' Dogian Gray keeps going. He's had more lives than the cat including getting literally driven over by a truck last fall.

I'm very sorry for your loss. It really hurts when you do the right thing and feel worse for it!

I'm on #6 Golden Retriever, over the last 40 years. The first 2 I had their entire lives. The next 3 were "senior" rescue dogs who only lived about 3 years each time. The current dog is a "pound puppy." He was 1 year old when I found him, very immature, but he's come a long way in the last 3 years and is a wonderful dog.

When you feel ready, consider rescuing, if possible. You can go to a site such as Petfinder. They are breed and location specific so you just enter the breed you're looking for, your zip code and you never know... A new dog may help with the grief you're feeling now, and you'll possibly have saved another animal's life.

My dog passed away a year ago on march 4. I cried for like 3 days...I drove to buffalo to pick up my brother from college so he could see the little guy before he passed...i've never felt so much pain and sadness...in time it gets easier, but you never really move on. I'm sorry for your loss man. Its really hard to lose a good pet.

I've had to put down 3 dogs and it's never easy. All our dogs become like our kids. I feel your pain.

PTR

People (okay, parents) always tell me "But they're not kids, it's different."

Well...yeah, of course. But if you're even remotely a decent person, when you take on personal responsibility for another life - even if it's canine, feline, whatever - it still hurts to lose it.

People (okay, parents) always tell me "But they're not kids, it's different."

Well...yeah, of course. But if you're even remotely a decent person, when you take on personal responsibility for another life - even if it's canine, feline, whatever - it still hurts to lose it.

I'm not a parent, but I have gotten a little pissed when people say it's just like losing a kid. No, it's not. My friend just lost his ten year old daughter and he will never be the same.

This hurts very badly, and I know the grief that AJ is going through, and have expressed that. I hope I never know the type of pain my friend is going through right now.