very funny article about draftnik-dom

dave mcbride

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good stuff!

I love the draft and read everything that I can about it and have my favorite "sources". Russ Lande's GM Jr has been my favorite

for years. I admit that this is a very nerdy hobby.

I'll confess to thinking that Jason Pierre Paul was going to be a bust because of his shaky three-cone drill time. Of course, I had never heard of him before the first postseason mock drafts had been posted ...

Yes. Good stuff. :beer:

"...the auctioneer drone of jargon from the knowledgeable, likable, utterly relentless analyst Mike Mayock. As redundant images of anonymous prospects in compression shorts meld into a continuous blur of sweaty sinew, a subliminal voice beckons you to cocoon beneath a cuddly blanket of blissful inertia and contemplate the cosmological significance of the three-cone drill." Mike Tanier NYTimes

Love it. That is exactly why I ignore the draft until draft day.

Fans who think they have enough knowledge to even have an opinion are hilarious. Pretty much everything a draft fan says is a regurgitation of some draft "guru's" opinion.

Or you can watch video and try to draw your own conclusions.

Then after years of doing the above you might actually develop a tiny bit of acumen as far as evaluation goes.

At the very least, it's a fun way to pass the time when there's nothing more important to do.

I suppose, but some crappy video on Youtube doesn't give you the same exposure scouts get. And I really don't think fans really know the difference between a guy with a good "first step" vs. a guy with a very good "first step". Fans are fooling themselves if they think they know how to evaluate players and actually know a damn thing they are looking at.

A fun hobby, I suppose, but I can think of many more productive and enjoyable things to do with my time. But that's just me.

Or you can watch video and try to draw your own conclusions.

Then after years of doing the above you might actually develop a tiny bit of acumen as far as evaluation goes.

At the very least, it's a fun way to pass the time when there's nothing more important to do.

1330288440[/url]' post='2389846']

I suppose, but some crappy video on Youtube doesn't give you the same exposure scouts get. And I really don't think fans really know the difference between a guy with a good "first step" vs. a guy with a very good "first step". Fans are fooling themselves if they think they know how to evaluate players and actually know a damn thing they are looking at.

A fun hobby, I suppose, but I can think of many more productive and enjoyable things to do with my time. But that's just me.

Fans like you may not know the difference between a guy with a good first step and a very good first step. Lots of us here do know the difference. "Fans are fooling themselves if they think they know how to evaluate players and actually know a dam thing they are looking at"....just like the nfl scouts and GMs. No one "knows" how a particular player will pan out. Fans, scouts, GMs, other players, owners, baby's momma......no one. Every knew Calvin Jonson would be good, the question was, will he become one of the best ever, or another Roy Williams.

I can understand if you don't find it productive, but to say that fans have no idea how to evaluate players and don't know a dam thing about what they are looking at is laughable. Maybe YOU don't. Many here do.

This is when I become familiar with all but the top named and local college players. Hearing where everyone's supposed to go and then seeing how it plays out is what makes it so much fun. While it can be an abject waste of time, it's a great way to pass the time in waiting rooms, at traffic lights, and getting through the work day. :thumbsup:

Edited by Rob's House

Fans like you may not know the difference between a guy with a good first step and a very good first step. Lots of us here do know the difference. "Fans are fooling themselves if they think they know how to evaluate players and actually know a dam thing they are looking at"....just like the nfl scouts and GMs. No one "knows" how a particular player will pan out. Fans, scouts, GMs, other players, owners, baby's momma......no one. Every knew Calvin Jonson would be good, the question was, will he become one of the best ever, or another Roy Williams.

I can understand if you don't find it productive, but to say that fans have no idea how to evaluate players and don't know a dam thing about what they are looking at is laughable. Maybe YOU don't. Many here do.

Not to mention that for some of us, it's not just watching youtube videos. There are a number of posters that watch as much, if not more, college football than NFL. We've seen some of these kids play for the last few years, and have formed opinions from a large cross section of performances.

Not to sound defensive though, because it is just all in fun and one big guess. :thumbsup:

Utter Hogwash! :ph34r:

Best part: "[TBD'ers] are composed by columnists, experts, obsessed amateurs, compulsive listmakers, interns and precocious toddlers, and all are of exactly the same level of accuracy. "

Yeah, well, you forgot addicts.

I was laughing my *as off reading this when my wife wanted to know what was so funny. I read her a few passages and got a blank stare. That's when I realized just how I guilty I am of indulging myself in most of those activities. Oh well, back to combine coverage I DVR'd.

I just got the exact same reaction.