If you didn't like "Cast Away" and even if you did ... rea

UConn James

http://blogs.suntimes.com/foreignc/2012/02/the-pursuit-of-powerlessness.html

But, third, "Cast Away" is the story of a man trying to salvage his life. Rather, it is the story of a man in three acts facing three distinct scenarios, discovering his utter powerlessness, and through that powerlessness he finds his rebirth. Again, and again. It is not until he casts away any impression of power that he finds his answers.

I've learned over and over again through my many mini-misadventures that there are some battles in life that we choose, and there are some battles that choose us. Often, those battles that choose us are battles that we would never otherwise embrace. Sometime the battle is a severe illness. Sometimes the battle is a family tragedy. Sometimes the battle is a social challenge. When faced with such battles we summon our strength and capabilities, but sometimes we must first embrace a notion of powerlessness before we can work through the new challenges. Speaking in some hopeful sense, we would like to think that those challenges make us stronger (and often they do), but at the very least, they require us to transform ourselves into persons we never imagined we'd be. The important point "Cast Away" makes is that the ethos of powerlessness yields unexpected hopes from unexpected places.

I thought I had gotten this at the time, but I'm still going to have to give this a revisit soon.

Edited by UConn James

"Cast Away" is simply a movie about a guy trying to survive and get back home after his plane went down. Nothing more, nothing less. Doesn't mean it wasn't a good movie, but trying to find a deeper meaning seems like mental masturbation.

"Cast Away" is simply a movie about a guy trying to survive and get back home after his plane went down. Nothing more, nothing less. Doesn't mean it wasn't a good movie, but trying to find a deeper meaning seems like mental masturbation.

I disagree. Any writer worth his salt does more than just tell a story.

Some people are certainly prone to over-analysis, though.

I disagree. Any writer worth his salt does more than just tell a story.

Some people are certainly prone to over-analysis, though.

A story can be entertaining without any higher meaning. A good writer will make you care about the story.

A story can be entertaining without any higher meaning. A good writer will make you care about the story.

Sure. But a great writer leaves the interpretation of the story and its meaning up to the reader, or in this case, the viewer.

Castaway is as close to a Terrence Malick study in existentialism as Bob Zemeckis will ever get. You don't have to see the deeper meaning in it if you don't want to. Which is the art of it.