Scouting Combine

I also heard Andrew Luck had a VERY healthy 10 inches. Whoa Nelly! I think Griffin was a paltry 9 and 3/4 inches. Sorry fellas. Bigger is better. -When it comes to throwing a tight, accurate, spiral, that is. :lol:

Joking aside, all things being equal, that is most likely true… just as all things being equal, an OT with longer arms has the advantage.

Drew Brees has 10.25" hands… quite large for someone who's just a shade over 6 feet tall and he throws a beautiful ball.

I remember thinking the fact that Mike Williams had only size 11 feet at 6'7" tall was a bad sign… Bryant McKinnie at 6'8" has size 18 feet.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big news (combine-wise) for a player that many on our board (myself included) would like to see drafted:

South Carolina pass rusher Melvin Ingram didn't get taller or shorter since the Senior Bowl… he's still 6' 1 7/8" tall but his weight is down from 276 to 264 pounds.

Sounds like a guy who wants to prove to NFL teams that he has the athleticism and discipline to be a great linebacker.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/25/melvin-ingram-has-shed-a-dozen-pounds-since-senior-bowl/

:huh:

I'm guessing you're kidding...

Calvin Johnson is basically a once-in-a-lifetime-type Prospect...He showed up at The combine at 6-5-239 and ran a blistering 4.35 while having a 42 1/2" Vert, and a Broad Jump of 11'-7"...Yep, almost a 12' broad jump! Add to that he was clearly one of the best College WR's EVER...With a Condor-like wingspan, and great hands, Johnson is as good as it gets...When I hear Folks, heck even Buddy Nix, bring up his name while talking about Prospects or Needs I have to laugh...You can get the best WR in 10 out of 10 Drafts and still not get close to Calvin Johnson...IMHO He's just that good... B-)

yeah he's probably the only "sure thing" in any draft I can remember. He seems like a decent guy/teammate too which just adds to all the other stuff you mentioned. I'm glad he's not in our division, I'd hate to face that joker twice a year.

My man Tom Compton (who we had in RD5 mocks) did well on the 40 yard dash.Adam Gettis is the Iowa RG (Reiff is the LT). Cordy Glenn will no longer make it to our pick in RD2. Philip Blake is RG3's Center, possibly there at RD3.

OFFENSIVE LINEMEN

Adam Gettis, Iowa - 4.91

Cordy Glenn, Georgia - 4.96

Tom Compton, South Dakota - 5.03

Philip Blake, Baylor - 5.09

Rishaw Johnson, California (PA) - 5.15

Jeff Allen, Illinois - 5.16

James Brown, Troy - 5.18

Tony Bergstrom, Utah - 5.19

Andrew Datko, Florida State - 5.22

Michael Brewster, Ohio State - 5.25

Justin Anderson, Georgia - 5.28

Mike Adams, Ohio State - 5.31

Kelvin Beachum, SMU - 5.31

John Cullen, Utah - 5.32

David DeCastro, Stanford - 5.34

Lamar Holmes, Southern Miss - 5.35

Taylor Dever, Notre Dame - 5.41

Ben Jones, Georgia - 5.41

Garth Gerhart, Arizona State - 5.44

Cordy 4.96 !!! that's nuts at 348

:huh:

I'm guessing you're kidding...

Calvin Johnson is basically a once-in-a-lifetime-type Prospect...He showed up at The combine at 6-5-239 and ran a blistering 4.35 while having a 42 1/2" Vert, and a Broad Jump of 11'-7"...Yep, almost a 12' broad jump! Add to that he was clearly one of the best College WR's EVER...With a Condor-like wingspan, and great hands, Johnson is as good as it gets...When I hear Folks, heck even Buddy Nix, bring up his name while talking about Prospects or Needs I have to laugh...You can get the best WR in 10 out of 10 Drafts and still not get close to Calvin Johnson...IMHO He's just that good... B-)

I meant size wise and jumping ability and big overall target in the endzone, no one is Calvin but one can try.

It might of been awhile ago, but we were discussing Blackmon and I was saying how, he is not a "Calvin Johnson" type but more like a "Michael Crabtree" type. Crabtree was super dominant at Texas Tech but wasn't worth the high draft pick (and Holdout) although he is a good WR you probably don't want to take him as high as the 9ers took him. Blackmon is similar to Crabtree physically and now actually a little shorter.

Whoever I had the discussion with, we said we would we'll wait until the combine for the measurements, as they said "Blackmon passes the Megatron eye test" Under 6'1" isn't going to help Blackmon win any jump balls in the NFL.

That measurement is likely going to drop him a few slots.

Personally I wouldn't be surprised if Floyd ends up being the first WR off the board. I certainty wouldn't mind if Floyd was the Bills pick at #10.

but Blackmon can jump a mile and had more range than plaxico

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7556061

Sounds like James Hardy. That one really worked out.

Worked out for James :P

I'm not saying we should draft him just saying...

He was one of the players involved in the TCU arrests.

didn't hear about that but the guy can still play, hopefully it's not too serious.

looks like Tank is safe.

"The arrested players were linebacker Tanner Brock, defensive tackle D.J. Yendrey, cornerback Devin Johnson, and reserve offensive lineman Ty Horn."

http://espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/story/_/id/7613913/tcu-horned-frogs-moving-ahead-spring-drug-arrests

For the last few years, this has been one of my favorite sites for combine news and results.

They already have the bench press results for the O-linemen and tight ends as well as other physical measurements.

It looks like they've measured the QBs and other position groups too.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/

(If you change the year in the URL you can view the results of past combines (measurements, times, etc)

BTW, Ryan Tannehill has the smallest hands of any of the 19 quarterbacks in attendance. From wrist seam to end of middle finger he measures 9 inches.

Gotta love the combine!

edit: Justin Blackmon… 6' 7-8" inches tall (ouch).

RG3, 6'2 3/8" inches tall.

Great site thanks. How about Cordy Glen? He had a great senior bowl week shutting down everyone he faced. The guy is enormous 6'5, 345 35 3/4 arm length 10 1/8" hands 4.96 40 31 bench with those length arms are you kidding me?

vert 23.5 shuttles 5.00 8.13 broad 93. His 3 cone and short shuttle are sub average for a LT but this guy probably should play at 320-330 lbs. Can't you see him keeping Fitz clean and blasting holes for Fred and CJ?

Reiff looks great as well he ran a 1.71 ten yard split. Kalil beat him by one one hundreth of a second. I think there are three pro bowl LT's in this draft.

Sunday standouts so far:

WR Stephen Hill, GTech - 4.30. Cut well. Caught everything..oh...and he's 6'4".

QB Kirk Cousins- he was, by far, the best thrower on the field. Everyone else was crap.

WR Joe Adams, Arkansas - looked at ease out there.

WR Danny Coale, VTech- 4.40, caught everything, good cuts

Edited by JPS

didn't hear about that but the guy can still play, hopefully it's not too serious.

looks like Tank is safe.

"The arrested players were linebacker Tanner Brock, defensive tackle D.J. Yendrey, cornerback Devin Johnson, and reserve offensive lineman Ty Horn."

http://espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/story/_/id/7613913/tcu-horned-frogs-moving-ahead-spring-drug-arrests

He'd be good for the Bills. He has the ability

to make a key play. I still can see the pass

he batted down on the 2pt conversion of

Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl.

For the last few years, this has been one of my favorite sites for combine news and results.

They already have the bench press results for the O-linemen and tight ends as well as other physical measurements.

It looks like they've measured the QBs and other position groups too.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/

(If you change the year in the URL you can view the results of past combines (measurements, times, etc)

BTW, Ryan Tannehill has the smallest hands of any of the 19 quarterbacks in attendance. From wrist seam to end of middle finger he measures 9 inches.

Gotta love the combine!

edit: Justin Blackmon… 6' 7-8" inches tall (ouch).

RG3, 6'2 3/8" inches tall.

Re hands: Russell Wilson 10 1/4 inches- bigger than RG 111 and Adrew Luck's No wonder he throws such a nice ball. At 5'10 1/2 inches tall he must look all hand.

Re hands: Russell Wilson 10 1/4 inches- bigger than RG 111 and Adrew Luck's No wonder he throws such a nice ball. At 5'10 1/2 inches tall he must look all hand.

Hopefully his arms aren't as short as Melvin Ingram's… how embarrassing would it be to have hands longer than the rest of your arms?

I don't care how tall Kellen Moore is and what kind of noodle arm he has. All I see is the ball getting to where it's supposed to be when it's supposed to be there. Plus, he carries a confident look with him.

The reason why it matters is because when a 6-4 260 pound guy is running after you and a 6-6 320 pound guy is standing in front of you, your ability to get the ball where it is supposed to be is extreemly hampered.

Its like watching a guy dunk on an 8 feet rim and wondering why he isn't playing in the NBA.

Moore is not nearly as atheletic as Drew Brees. Its extreemly not likely Moore or Wilson can be succesfull in the NFL.

I always liked the idea of getting Cousins in the 3rd or 4th round. I now confirmed my feeling. If Cousins is there at pick ~106. I'd be happy with that pick.

I get the short arms thing for OT. But honestly with the rules now, and no holding called ever! its more about footwork, and walling off a guy. In run blocking short arms are better,

Give me a LT with a great first step and some punch to knock a DE back a half step, and you got a winner.

What happens if the DE that is the pass rusher has let's say 36 inch arms ? It means the LT with 33 inch arms can't get to him to push until it's to late !!!! :thumbdown: I ain't sayin but i'm just sayin !!!