[closed]Is SJ Worth Top $ ??

T master

O.K. let me say before i get started i would love to see SJ in a Bills uni this year because he is the best we got , although the longer it goes i don't see it happening & i think it will be b/c of how much Stevie thinks he's worth .. But him & his agent really need to go look at where he stands in the NFL compared to other WR ..

I checked it out & here is what i found from last years rankings for WR & TE's but i did away with the TE's because i wanted to see where SJ stood among his peers !!

1) Calvin Johnson - 1681 yds - 17.5 av. - 16 TD's

2) Wes Welker - 1569 - 12.9 - 9

3) Victor Cruz - 1536 - 18.7 - 9

4) Larry Fitzgerald - 1411 - 17.6 - 8

5) Steve Smith - 1394 - 17.6 - 7

6) Roddy White - 1296 - 13.0 - 8

7) Jordy Nelson - 1263 - 18.6 - 15

8) Brandon Marshall - 1214 - 15.0 - 6

9) Mike Wallace - 1193 - 16.6 - 8

10) Hakeem Nicks - 1192 - 15.7 - 7

15) A.J. Green (rookie) - 1057 - 16.3 - 7

17) Stevie J - 1004 - 13.2 - 7 -

There you go the top 10 & Stevie finished below a rookie ! I will give him that he played hurt most of the season which is an admirable trait & with that being said if healthy his totals may have been higher than they were & i also keep in mind that they would have been higher if our coach wouldn't have been a man of his word & folded like a house of cards & let SJ finish the last game despite him telling the team if any one screwed up they were sitting !!!

SO with this information do you the Bills fans think it is right for Stevie to ask for number one WR money ?? At best this shows that he is a good number 2 if anything !!

I know i will be a bit P Oed if he walks & if he hits the market you can almost bet that he will & this amongst other blogs will be absolutely filled with the "Ralph is a CHEAP SOB" posts & "The Bills just don't want to win" Posts but does this info give you the fans any reason to pay a higher price than the going rate for a decent - not elite - player ??

O.K. you could bring in the fold the Fitz money that was payed & with hind site i think we all might at least think they should have waited a bit longer to do Fitz contract & if nothing else we would have had more money to invest else where like S . Chandler or FA's or what ever we could have used it for but because of the Fitz situation i would think that it would make us fans & the Bills even more cautious when it comes to forking #1 money for a #2 caliber player !!!

Edited by T master

O.K. let me say before i get started i would love to see SJ in a Bills uni this year because he is the best we got , although the longer it goes i don't see it happening & i think it will be b/c of how much Stevie thinks he's worth .. But him & his agent really need to go look at where he stands in the NFL compared to other WR ..

I checked it out & here is what i found from last years rankings for WR & TE's but i did away with the TE's because i wanted to see where SJ stood among his peers !!

1) Calvin Johnson - 1681 yds - 17.5 av. - 16 TD's

2) Wes Welker - 1569 - 12.9 - 9

3) Victor Cruz - 1536 - 18.7 - 9

4) Larry Fitzgerald - 1411 - 17.6 - 8

5) Steve Smith - 1394 - 17.6 - 7

6) Roddy White - 1296 - 13.0 - 8

7) Jordy Nelson - 1263 - 18.6 - 15

8) Brandon Marshall - 1214 - 15.0 - 6

9) Mike Wallace - 1193 - 16.6 - 8

10) Hakeem Nicks - 1192 - 15.7 - 7

15) A.J. Green (rookie) - 1057 - 16.3 - 7

17) Stevie J - 1004 - 13.2 - 7 -

There you go the top 10 & Stevie finished below a rookie ! I will give him that he played hurt most of the season which is an admirable trait & with that being said if healthy his totals may have been higher than they were & i also keep in mind that they would have been higher if our coach wouldn't have been a man of his word & folded like a house of cards & let SJ finish the last game despite him telling the team if any one screwed up they were sitting !!!

SO with this information do you the Bills fans think it is right for Stevie to ask for number one WR money ?? At best this shows that he is a good number 2 if anything !!

I know i will be a bit P Oed if he walks & if he hits the market you can almost bet that he will & this amongst other blogs will be absolutely filled with the "Ralph is a CHEAP SOB" posts & "The Bills just don't want to win" Posts but does this info give you the fans any reason to pay a higher price than the going rate for a decent - not elite - player ??

O.K. you could bring in the fold the Fitz money that was payed & with hind site i think we all might at least think they should have waited a bit longer to do Fitz contract & if nothing else we would have had more money to invest else where like S . Chandler or FA's or what ever we could have used it for but because of the Fitz situation i would think that it would make us fans & the Bills even more cautious when it comes to forking #1 money for a #2 caliber player !!!

Every team has a "go to" guy. So there are 32 number one receivers in the league. Every team lines up two WR's. A good number line up 3 WR's to start the game. So there are between 64 - and say 80 "starting" WR's in the league. Stevie is 17th amongst that group and in the middle of the pack of number one's. So yeah, he should be paid like a number one receiver.

The question you really seem to be asking is should he be paid like an elite number one WR. The answer to that is in how Nix and Gailey view his upside. If they believe he will take another step in his development then yes. If they believe he's a very good player and that's all he will ever be then no. But he should be making the going rate for number one WR's in general. That's just the cost of doing business. They will have to pay someone at some point. Especially if they let him walk.

If they don't pay him there is no guarantee they get Jackson, Bowe or Colston or anyone else even if they offer the most money. And that's assuming those players aren't tagged or sign long term deals before the become FA's. One can argue Stevie's numbers would have been better if he had been healthier and Fitz accuracy issues didn't rear its ugly head from time to time. This isn't a Poz situation. He was not a guy who was an impact player. Stevie is at times, but can he be all the time? We will see what the FO thinks soon enough.

Edited by purple haze

I think that Stevie Johnson ranks around the 10th -12th best WR in the league. Ranking WRs off of stats isn't the best indicator. You have to consider who was throwing them the ball, injuries to key offensive personnel, things of that nature.

Considering this is Buffalo and NYS taxes being what they are, the Bills will have to pony up a few extra million. I would hope they'd offer him somewhere in the 8.5 million per year range. To those who think he's not worth it, consider that Moulds got a huge payday and his worth was pretty much the same as Johnson's worth is today for this team.

Stats are important but I don't think they tell it all. No one is saying SJ is Calvin Johnson or Brandon Marshall or AJ Greene. And several of those guys on the list had Superbowl quarterbacks throwing to them.

His ability to get open even against the best corners in the league is uncanny. (He obviously needs to improve his receiving ability in the clutch). And he played last season injured on an already gimpy team. With more talent around him, and a healthier team, he'll likely break the top 10.

I hope it's for us.

Bottom line, Buffalo will have to pay more money to keep players like Johnson, who I believe likes the city of Buffalo but who also wouldn't mind playing in sunny California.

For some reason I get this feeling I will see this same post made in about a year but saying:

Is FJ worth top $??

And then an late round/undrafted player will be compared to a top 5 pick at that position.

At this point, I would rather pay SJ the money we paid for Evans and have a WR that can do things other than run straight fast. (For those who don't remember 4yr/37.5mil for Evans). Which if reports are correct, is more than what SJ is asking.