Obama's Dividend Assault

erynthered

Don't forget the real reason dividends are irrelevent: when a stock goes ex-dividend, they reduce the price of the stock by the amount of the dividend, which makes the "return" of the dividend a complete fiction. So when the dividend is paid, you end up with the same amount of money that you had before it was paid.

Don't know how you could have missed that.

This is true however when your reinvest those dividends (though sometimes very small) you are purchasing more shares. So if you reinvest those dividends over time you will have more money in the long run than if you took them as income. So they are relevent either way, if you take them as income many times at a very decent yield or if you reinvest them.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is true however when your reinvest those dividends (though sometimes very small) you are purchasing more shares. So if you reinvest those dividends over time you will have more money in the long run than if you took them as income. So they are relevent either way, if you take them as income many times at a very decent yield or if you reinvest them.

This may be true, but in the case of negative dividends you would be better off if you took them (even if there weren't any)than reinvest them and have them reduce the value of your portfolio.

Dammit, I know that. I was setting him up.

Thanks for spoiling it, !@#$.

This may be true, but in the case of negative dividends you would be better off if you took them (even if there weren't any)than reinvest them and have them reduce the value of your portfolio.

Reinvesting them would not reduce the value of your portfolio. Why do you think comparing a value of a portfolio over a long period where the dividends were reinvested vs where they were not that you would have considerablly more money if you reinvested them. This of course is assuming that the dividends taken were spent and when you take them for income that's what is typically done.

Reinvesting them would not reduce the value of your portfolio. Why do you think comparing a value of a portfolio over a long period where the dividends were reinvested vs where they were not that you would have considerablly more money if you reinvested them. This of course is assuming that the dividends taken were spent and when you take them for income that's what is typically done.

It was a poor version of a Crayonz post---on purpose. In other words I was being facetious.

Dammit, I know that. I was setting him up.

Thanks for spoiling it, !@#$.

Sorry. I flipped a coin on that regarding where you were headed. Reason why I never go to Vegas.

It was a poor version of a Crayonz post---on purpose. In other words I was being facetious.

Ok, I will watch this one from the sidelines going forward. It's hard to detect sarcasm when people are talking about what you do for a living.

Yeah but Apple is different. They aren't an evil corporation like Big Oil®, Big Banks, or Big Pharma®. Apple helps the 99% tweet and blog about the injustices of the 1%.

Not true dev. As Dave and Co. pointed out, Apple has gotten rich off of exploiting the Chinese. Apple forces their Chinese laborers to work 60 hours a week sometimes (gasp), and pays them better than their peers (the horror), and that obviously leads to suicide!!! But somehow Dave has been able to put his outrage aside as long as Apple continues to beat earnings.

But you do have a point. Apple enriched the world with things people cannot live without, like iPods and smartphones. Where would we be without those developments? The oil companies supplying cheap energy and the raw materials for nearly every product we consume are crooks. The only firms worse than the oil companies are those bastards curing diseases.

Not true dev. As Dave and Co. pointed out, Apple has gotten rich off of exploiting the Chinese. Apple forces their Chinese laborers to work 60 hours a week sometimes (gasp), and pays them better than their peers (the horror), and that obviously leads to suicide!!! But somehow Dave has been able to put his outrage aside as long as Apple continues to beat earnings.

A single potential Democratic voter death is a tragedy

A thousand Chinese slave laborer suicides is a statistic

100 Billion in cash is a nice problem to have. Chef--throw your hat in the ring and show them the benefits of diversifying--with you of course.

I'll let them know I discount my fee to 25bps for anything over $1bil. And the fact that I'm local is a plus.

Actually, one of the stocks he claims to own (Kinder-Morgan, I think. Wasn't Apple or Home Depot, at any rate) has a 5%+ dividend rate.

5% is hardly irrelevant.

Especially at 15% vs ordinary income.

Actually, one of the stocks he claims to own (Kinder-Morgan, I think. Wasn't Apple or Home Depot, at any rate) has a 5%+ dividend rate.

5% is hardly irrelevant.

I noticed that as well. I can only guess that his dividends are insignificant opinion is based on the fact that the dividend for 2 shares of KMP comes out to a little less than $10, therefore a 5.2% yield is negligible, or something asinine like that.

I noticed that as well. I can only guess that his dividends are insignificant opinion is based on the fact that the dividend for 2 shares of KMP comes out to a little less than $10, therefore a 5.2% yield is negligible, or something asinine like that.

It's almost 4. Where is the little potato head?