Unemployment Up Again

3rdnlng

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll tell you what I think. If more people decide to come back into the workforce due to the pickup in the economy unemployment will top 9%. What we want to look at is jobs created at this point. If the economy is creating jobs we're on the right path.

I'll tell you what I think. If more people decide to come back into the workforce due to the pickup in the economy unemployment will top 9%. What we want to look at is jobs created at this point. If the economy is creating jobs we're on the right path.

Simpleton

Hey, we actually agree on something.

I don't remember, though...were you crowing about the 8.3% unemployment number, or was it only DIN who was that stupid?

A day ago these people didn't even exist in your world!! Just wait and see what the soaring gas prices will do to the unemployment number.

Don't look now but the planets are starting to align for a Sarah Palin presidency...LOL

Yes, economic recovery has been in the news all week. The president has modestly credited his own policies as the cause. And a media intent on his reelection and with no real grasp of economic data has embraced the Recovery February storyline.

And yes, the S&P is back close to its level of April a year ago, though that is still 13% below its decade peak in October 2007. But can you take the recovery talking and “Happy Days Are Here Again” singing to the bank?

Buyer beware. Here is some of the unsettling data.

Jobs? Yes, up. The raw number of jobs has been rising despite occasional blips for most of the last two years. But the rise has not kept pace with the growth in the workforce, which means mainly the pace at which young people are coming of age. The labor force participation rate – the percent of the adult population with jobs -- is down to around 63 percent, considerably below the 66 percent of early 2008and the trend is down, not up.

Hey, we actually agree on something.

I don't remember, though...were you crowing about the 8.3% unemployment number, or was it only DIN who was that stupid?

I think the Unemployment rate is a load of **** unless you count the people who have given up looking for work. If we were to count them though you would see a drop in the unemployment rate from something like 13.1% to 13% I think the BLS should just use that standard. Or they should just take out the L and be the BS.

:lol:

A day ago these people didn't even exist in your world!! Just wait and see what the soaring gas prices will do to the unemployment number.

Don't look now but the planets are starting to align for a Sarah Palin presidency...LOL

Yes, those people did exist in my world. And yes oil prices are going to kill the recovery. That would be reason #1247 why we need to get off oil.

I think the Unemployment rate is a load of **** unless you count the people who have given up looking for work. If we were to count them though you would see a drop in the unemployment rate from something like 13.1% to 13% I think the BLS should just use that standard. Or they should just take out the L and be the BS.

:lol:

Actually, that number's gone up slightly...but that number's also problematic, because the labor force and pool of people available to it isn't static. For example: in January 2012, the number of people not in the labor force (which includes people who want a job but gave up looking) increased by a million people, but the total noninstitutional population (i.e. people employable) increased by 1.7 million. So did a million people leave the labor force, or did a million enter it? And by the way, the number of employed increased by 800k, but the number of unemployed dropped by about 300k...add up the numbers, and it seems about 200k people went missing (or, more likely got part-time jobs, which I didn't include here). And those are the "seasonally adjusted" numbers, whatever that adjustment is.

So basically...lies, damned lies, and statistics. I can make the labor report say anything I want it to say. I'd sooner trust ADP's payroll numbers than I would the BLS reports.

Actually, that number's gone up slightly...but that number's also problematic, because the labor force and pool of people available to it isn't static. For example: in January 2012, the number of people not in the labor force (which includes people who want a job but gave up looking) increased by a million people, but the total noninstitutional population (i.e. people employable) increased by 1.7 million. So did a million people leave the labor force, or did a million enter it? And by the way, the number of employed increased by 800k, but the number of unemployed dropped by about 300k...add up the numbers, and it seems about 200k people went missing (or, more likely got part-time jobs, which I didn't include here). And those are the "seasonally adjusted" numbers, whatever that adjustment is.

So basically...lies, damned lies, and statistics. I can make the labor report say anything I want it to say. I'd sooner trust ADP's payroll numbers than I would the BLS reports.

I can't believe this... We agree on something. Holy **** I'm marking my calender!!

How many baby boomers leave the workforce each month?

Oh hurrah! Gonna go throw a party? Maybe we will have a natural disaster hit, then you can really celebrate

Why would I throw a party? There's no reason to celebrate the fact that even when they cook the books they can't get the rate to go down, 6.

How many baby boomers leave the workforce each month?

Probably quite a few. They don't break the numbers down like that, so all you get from the report is relative increase or decrease.

Pardon me, all the rest of us get from the report. You only get a paper hat.