Tattoos

ajzepp

For whatever reason, as I've gotten older I've become fascinated by tattoos. I don't currently have any and don't have any plans to get one in the near future, but I've seen some art over the past few years that has just blown me away. I used to watch that show about Kat Von D's tattoo shop in LA from time to time, and lately I've caught this show called "Ink Master" on Spike TV. It's basically a competition among a handful of tattoo artists, and they compete by creating actual tattoos on real people. It's actually a really interesting concept, because you have the competition aspect of the show, but then you also have real people who are willing to get permanently inked up. The competitors are timed, and so that sometimes creates tension and trade-offs with regard to the type of tattoo they do for the "human canvasses". But what really impresses me is the art itself. These are some TALENTED people! Each week they focus on a different style...black and grey one week, traditional American the next, and most recently I saw an episode where they did photo-realistic tatts.

Does anyone else find this form of art interesting? Anyone care to share their tattoo experiences or even photos of the work they had done? Or better yet, is anyone on here a tattoo artist and have some examples of your work?

As someone who is heavily covered in tattoos(both arms and my hands covered, knuckles, ribs and various parts of my legs/back), these shows are good and bad in many ways. Good because I think they have helped bring acceptance to the body art community(although some people could care less about being accepted), not completely accepted but every little bit helps. Having very visible tattoos people automatically assume you don't have a "real" job, because "what person would hire someone with visible tattoos?" is the general thought. When in reality, many of the people in the community of body art have career jobs, myself included. Also good because it has shown people what good tattoos can look like therefore avoiding "scratchers" or a cheap tattoo, although what some of these shops on these shows charge is outrageous.

These shows are bad, to me, mainly because they are exactly that, shows. The creators try too hard to make it about drama or have some sort of story, when in reality these aren't actors. Every tattoo has to have a story on the show, which is ok sometimes, but many times tattoos are just for sheer enjoyment of the artwork. Sometimes you can tell that the conversation between the tattoo artist and the person getting tattoo'd seems so forced and awkward. Also some of the shows make the artists on them seem like cocky dicks.

Personally, I have no desire to get tattoo'd by any of the people on Miami, LA or London ink(I would however consider Meagan M, from NY ink). I think they over charge and there are artists out there that are just as good, if not better, at a more reasonable price.

For whatever reason, as I've gotten older I've become fascinated by tattoos. I don't currently have any and don't have any plans to get one in the near future, but I've seen some art over the past few years that has just blown me away. I used to watch that show about Kat Von D's tattoo shop in LA from time to time, and lately I've caught this show called "Ink Master" on Spike TV. It's basically a competition among a handful of tattoo artists, and they compete by creating actual tattoos on real people. It's actually a really interesting concept, because you have the competition aspect of the show, but then you also have real people who are willing to get permanently inked up. The competitors are timed, and so that sometimes creates tension and trade-offs with regard to the type of tattoo they do for the "human canvasses". But what really impresses me is the art itself. These are some TALENTED people! Each week they focus on a different style...black and grey one week, traditional American the next, and most recently I saw an episode where they did photo-realistic tatts.

Does anyone else find this form of art interesting? Anyone care to share their tattoo experiences or even photos of the work they had done? Or better yet, is anyone on here a tattoo artist and have some examples of your work?

http://artsytime.com/weird-tattoos/

I most definitely find it interesting, but like you I don't have any, and I have no desire to get one for myself. I'm a people watcher and tattoos add to the experience.

This is how it works for me as well. Can't think of anything important enough to me to get inked permanently, but some of my friends have some tattoos that are very nice to look at.

As someone who is heavily covered in tattoos(both arms and my hands covered, knuckles, ribs and various parts of my legs/back), these shows are good and bad in many ways. Good because I think they have helped bring acceptance to the body art community(although some people could care less about being accepted), not completely accepted but every little bit helps. Having very visible tattoos people automatically assume you don't have a "real" job, because "what person would hire someone with visible tattoos?" is the general thought. When in reality, many of the people in the community of body art have career jobs, myself included. Also good because it has shown people what good tattoos can look like therefore avoiding "scratchers" or a cheap tattoo, although what some of these shops on these shows charge is outrageous.

These shows are bad, to me, mainly because they are exactly that, shows. The creators try too hard to make it about drama or have some sort of story, when in reality these aren't actors. Every tattoo has to have a story on the show, which is ok sometimes, but many times tattoos are just for sheer enjoyment of the artwork. Sometimes you can tell that the conversation between the tattoo artist and the person getting tattoo'd seems so forced and awkward. Also some of the shows make the artists on them seem like cocky dicks.

Personally, I have no desire to get tattoo'd by any of the people on Miami, LA or London ink(I would however consider Meagan M, from NY ink). I think they over charge and there are artists out there that are just as good, if not better, at a more reasonable price.

I gotta ask. What do you consider a career job where you have tattoos on your hands and knuckles. I interviewed a guy a few years ago. Sharp guy, suit and tie, very articulate. Only problem was he had visible tattoos on his neck. Dude never had a chance.

Oh and BTW there is nothing that takes a chick from smoking hot to trailer trash scank quicker that visible tattoos. But that's just me.

Edited by Chef Jim

Is this the show with Dave Navarro? I somehow had that on for about 5 minutes the other night and it combines two things I hate - tattoos and reality TV. Everybody in the room was tatted to the max, and as they were going up before the judges, it was done with all the seriousness of the Nuremberg trials............If I had a gun, I would have made like Elvis and shot my TV.

Is this the show with Dave Navarro? I somehow had that on for about 5 minutes the other night and it combines two things I hate - tattoos and reality TV. Everybody in the room was tatted to the max, and as they were going up before the judges, it was done with all the seriousness of the Nuremberg trials............If I had a gun, I would have made like Elvis and shot my TV.

:lol: That's the one!

Herve!!!!!!

I most definitely find it interesting, but like you I don't have any, and I have no desire to get one for myself. I'm a people watcher and tattoos add to the experience.

Definitely the same...I'm all about people watching. I think that's why I like reality tv. Even though it's not really "real", I'm always interested in the way others react and respond in a given situation.

Wow! I think I saw JBoyst's arm in there toward the bottom of the list. That Hannibal Lector tatt is CRAZY good.

I think you hit upon one of the aspects of all this that I have questions about. If I were to ever get a tattoo, it would be something that had a really deep meaning to me. I don't think I'd ever want to get one that was just some random tatt just for the sake of getting inked. Yet it seems like there are quite a lot of people who are more interested in the fact that they are getting ANY tatt than they are being very careful about what they choose. Even on the Ink Master show, the other night one of the human canvasses had some wicked psoriasis and he had to bail on the show. The guest judge who was there was like, "eh, fuggit...tatoo my knee" lol. I think it was just some beveled star or something random like that. The mentality of these folks is fascinating to me.

And you really wouldn't want a tatt from Kat Von D?

I gotta ask. What do you consider a career job where you have tattoos on your hands and knuckles. I interviewed a guy a few years ago. Sharp guy, suit and tie, very articulate. Only problem was he had visible tattoos on his neck. Dude never had a chance.

Oh and BTW there is nothing that takes a chick from smoking hot to trailer trash scank quicker that visible tattoos. But that's just me.

Have to say that is me, too......As for the career thing, I remember Bill Simmons saying a couple of years ago that getting a neck tattoo is stating "I never want to work for a Fortune 500 company."

Have to say that is me, too......As for the career thing, I remember Bill Simmons saying a couple of years ago that getting a neck tattoo is stating "I never want to work for a Fortune 500 company."

Yea - hate to pile on but I imagine short of a very small handful of alternative professions - the knuckle tats seem like they would be a huuuuuge hindrance to a career.

Well for me personally, I work in an office, so its shirt and tie everyday. Currently I'm working in the UK, I work for one of the largest, if not the largest recruitment agencies in all of the UK. Without going into a long explanation, in the UK, the government pays X amount of £ to train or qualify people for specific job titles like warehouse or business admin or engineer(and believe me the amount of money is very high). There are certain levels a learner can achieve. So business's come to us to make sure we get their employees onto this program, as well as individuals come to us to get qualified for certain jobs. Compared to the US, its a very smart program for getting people who aren't college educated into the work place. I currently am an Account Admin Manager, I oversee 3 types of training in the entire north of the UK.

I'd consider this a career type job as in I make a very nice salary, have a company car, benefits, bonuses etc. I'd say i'm pretty well off for 28 almost 29 years of age.

For me personally there is nothing that takes a smoking hot girl to trailer scank than a tramp stamp tattoo or some terrible done tattoo.

:lol: That's the one!

Herve!!!!!!

Definitely the same...I'm all about people watching. I think that's why I like reality tv. Even though it's not really "real", I'm always interested in the way others react and respond in a given situation.

Wow! I think I saw JBoyst's arm in there toward the bottom of the list. That Hannibal Lector tatt is CRAZY good.

I think you hit upon one of the aspects of all this that I have questions about. If I were to ever get a tattoo, it would be something that had a really deep meaning to me. I don't think I'd ever want to get one that was just some random tatt just for the sake of getting inked. Yet it seems like there are quite a lot of people who are more interested in the fact that they are getting ANY tatt than they are being very careful about what they choose. Even on the Ink Master show, the other night one of the human canvasses had some wicked psoriasis and he had to bail on the show. The guest judge who was there was like, "eh, fuggit...tatoo my knee" lol. I think it was just some beveled star or something random like that. The mentality of these folks is fascinating to me.

And you really wouldn't want a tatt from Kat Von D?

Don't get me wrong, I have tattoo's with some great meaning(portrait of my parents on their wedding day, a his/her tattoo with my wife) but I think a lot of what people who are really into tattoo's enjoy about them is the art work, not that they have some deep significant meaning.

As far as Kat Von D is concerned, do I think she has talent? Yea. Would I pay what she ask's an hour(which is about $600-$700/hour)? Nope. Not when I know artists who are better than her and have more of a range. She has pigeon holed herself into this black/white "portrait" artist. So a lot of her other styles of tattoo work isn't that great. And seeing as I don't have the need to get a portrait tattoo'd, I wouldn't want to pay for something from her that even she will admit isn't her best work.

Yea - hate to pile on but I imagine short of a very small handful of alternative professions - the knuckle tats seem like they would be a huuuuuge hindrance to a career.

As one of my tattoo artists once said " You learn quickly which places will and won't hire you. Yea maybe Ralphs(supermarket) won't hire you, but Trader Joe's will." If you read my post above, obviously it hasn't been a hindrance to my career and I'm definitely not the exception to the rule. Again I think this is just a misconception.

Well for me personally, I work in an office, so its shirt and tie everyday. Currently I'm working in the UK, I work for one of the largest, if not the largest recruitment agencies in all of the UK. Without going into a long explanation, in the UK, the government pays X amount of £ to train or qualify people for specific job titles like warehouse or business admin or engineer(and believe me the amount of money is very high). There are certain levels a learner can achieve. So business's come to us to make sure we get their employees onto this program, as well as individuals come to us to get qualified for certain jobs. Compared to the US, its a very smart program for getting people who aren't college educated into the work place. I currently am an Account Admin Manager, I oversee 3 types of training in the entire north of the UK.

I'd consider this a career type job as in I make a very nice salary, have a company car, benefits, bonuses etc. I'd say i'm pretty well off for 28 almost 29 years of age.

For me personally there is nothing that takes a smoking hot girl to trailer scank than a tramp stamp tattoo or some terrible done tattoo.

Don't get me wrong, I have tattoo's with some great meaning(portrait of my parents on their wedding day, a his/her tattoo with my wife) but I think a lot of what people who are really into tattoo's enjoy about them is the art work, not that they have some deep significant meaning.

As far as Kat Von D is concerned, do I think she has talent? Yea. Would I pay what she ask's an hour(which is about $600-$700/hour)? Nope. Not when I know artists who are better than her and have more of a range. She has pigeon holed herself into this black/white "portrait" artist. So a lot of her other styles of tattoo work isn't that great. And seeing as I don't have the need to get a portrait tattoo'd, I wouldn't want to pay for something from her that even she will admit isn't her best work.

As one of my tattoo artists once said " You learn quickly which places will and won't hire you. Yea maybe Ralphs(supermarket) won't hire you, but Trader Joe's will." If you read my post above, obviously it hasn't been a hindrance to my career and I'm definitely not the exception to the rule. Again I think this is just a misconception.

That's cool man. I get what your saying totally, but I guess my concern would be that 5 years from now I'd be stuck at joes if I'm in the market game. it limits where you can shop yourself to advance. That said- success in life isn't just measured by volume of opportunities though it can certainly help.