netflix sleeper movies, series

birdog1960

The original Star Blazers anime series is available for streaming now. :w00t:

When I was a kid the most important thing in my world was making sure i was home every afternoon so that I could see Starblazers. It probably was instrumental in my love of serial television.

My contribution to the thread is the BBC's latest adaptation of Sherlock Holmes called Sherlock. That is an excellent series. I'm not a Sherlock Holmes fan, but found it a great time and devoured the few episodes of the first series rather quickly.

Edit: I guess my suggestion wasn't original. I hadn't read the full thread before posting. Oh well. It's a great series though.

Edited by Dr. Fong

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a sci-fi anime cartoon. Don't bother. (Although, to it's credit, it was more adult than, say "Science Ninja Team Gatchaman.")

I'm only psyched because it was a none-too-small part of mine and my brother's childhood.

too late..will never get those 3 minutes back.

As far as series go, I like "Angel".

or those 2 minutes. to each, his own...

Check out a show called "United States of Tara".

this looked pretty interesting in a bizarre sort of way.

I'm not a netflix subscriber...is it really worth it?

I'm not happy with the decisions they've been making at Netflix, but for $8 or $9 bucks a month the streaming is worth it for sure. Theyre is way more stuff available than you could ever even make a dent in in terms of viewing it. They've been making some strides in getting better movies available, there are a ton of great tv series and documentaries available (including quite a few music-oriented docs) and depending on the device you use the streaming quality is very solid. If you have at least a basic speed DSL you should get decent image quality.

I'm not a netflix subscriber...is it really worth it?

Netflix has a big library, not just all the mainstream stuff that everyone talks about, you can find a lot of obscure stuff.

I personally think that the online streaming is good but overrated.

I'm not happy with the decisions they've been making at Netflix, but for $8 or $9 bucks a month the streaming is worth it for sure. Theyre is way more stuff available than you could ever even make a dent in in terms of viewing it. They've been making some strides in getting better movies available, there are a ton of great tv series and documentaries available (including quite a few music-oriented docs) and depending on the device you use the streaming quality is very solid. If you have at least a basic speed DSL you should get decent image quality.

If you are a fan of these and also Tool, stream the movie "Blood Into Wine". Surprisingly interesting (since I'm neither here nor there with Tool) film about the lead singer of the bands obsession with starting a winery. Can't remember the lead singers name sorry. Good stuff though.

When I was a kid the most important thing in my world was making sure i was home every afternoon so that I could see Starblazers. It probably was instrumental in my love of serial television.

Then I have five words for you: Star Blazers live action movie.

I've seen clips of the 2011 Japanese release...doesn't look too bad. Better than The Phantom Blemish, at least.

Angel:

or those 2 minutes. to each, his own...

You watched 2 minutes of Angel, a show that was a spinoff of another show (Buffy), and decided, "Don't like this...?" :unsure: From a writing standpoint, it's one of the best shows that's ever been on television.

If you (or anyone) hasn't already seen Firefly, then you should watch that streaming on Netflix. Best TV show, ever. But don't get too attached since Fox doesn't know what to do with a good television show.

You watched 2 minutes of Angel, a show that was a spinoff of another show (Buffy), and decided, "Don't like this...?" :unsure: From a writing standpoint, it's one of the best shows that's ever been on television.

If you (or anyone) hasn't already seen Firefly, then you should watch that streaming on Netflix. Best TV show, ever. But don't get too attached since Fox doesn't know what to do with a good television show.

maybe i saw the wrong angel then. low budget production, cheap set, bad acting, weak dialogue... ? the pilots beginning involved one werewolf fighting off 3 others in an alley outside a bar to protect a sorta pretty girl? like i said, to each his own. like firefly much better. have a season on dvd.

maybe i saw the wrong angel then. low budget production, cheap set, bad acting, weak dialogue... ? the pilots beginning involved one werewolf fighting off 3 others in an alley outside a bar to protect a sorta pretty girl? like i said, to each his own. like firefly much better. have a season on dvd.

You can judge acting, production, and dialog in two minutes? :D Angel was written by the same team that did FIrefly.

Another suggestion -- Archer is awesome. I know season 1 is on Netflix, don't know if season 2 is there yet or not. I find it hilarious. :) Season 3 is on FX now.

You can judge acting, production, and dialog in two minutes? :D Angel was written by the same team that did FIrefly.

Another suggestion -- Archer is awesome. I know season 1 is on Netflix, don't know if season 2 is there yet or not. I find it hilarious. :) Season 3 is on FX now.

i don't think ya have to like all of someones work to like some of it. i loved super 8 and star trek but hated mission impossible 3, for example.

i do think you can tell a lot about a film or show in the first few minutes especially if they're excellent. took 2 minutes or so for me to see that "justified" was gonna be great. same for "downton abbey". same for many books. if the first paragraph is awkward and tepid the rest of the book often is too.

and i appreciate the recommendations. not intending to seem ungrateful. i just wasn't enamored with those 2 shows in admittedly short viewings.

and i appreciate the recommendations. not intending to seem ungrateful. i just wasn't enamored with those 2 shows in admittedly short viewings.

No problem, I'm just pointing out that you watched two minutes of a show that was on for five years and that was itself a spinoff of a show that was on for seven years. You in essence picked up the book in the middle and read a single sentence. ;) Plus, there's a ton of shows that are great but had pretty weak first seasons. :)

Amelie....French independent flick. Was highly rated on IMDB so I gave it a shot. Was one of the best movies I have seen in a long, long time. My wife loved it too.

Also, recently watched A Night in Paris...Woody Allen's latest work. It was pretty darn good.

Two good suggestions...Amelie was really good. Audrey Tautau (sp?) is a very attractive lady.