Mayocks new take

I think Mayock has got the best analysis, especially when it comes to evaluating intangibles like work ethic and character. I also think his analysis mirrors the critical thinking that most franchises do in evaluating players.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Mayock has got the best analysis, especially when it comes to evaluating intangibles like work ethic and character. I also think his analysis mirrors the critical thinking that most franchises do in evaluating players.

Yea, well stated :thumbsup:

Not to mention to the OP that Mayock is also an announcer for games and probably hadn't delved into player analysis until recently

I have been a critic of Mayock as I'm just sick of all the "insiders" and "experts" out there. But if you listen to him when he calls a game, he really knows the game. He played football at BC and actually made ito to the pros, albeit briefly. Out of him, WalterFootball, Nolan Nawrocki, Mel and McShay (the worst), I place more on what Mayock says.

All that being said, nobody is perfect and even great prospects like Aaron Curry bust. Hopefully , the folks at 1BD are smarter than all these guys and they get lucky. Jeremy Lin lucky.

I don't get why some fans are so scared of Coples that they are taking a proactive approach to attacking a guy that might not even fall to us? Could it be that he is considered the top DE and possibly best defender in the draft by many experts? Man I get supporting everyone's pet player but this has gotten crazy. It's starting to sound as bad as the Cam Newton bashing that took place last year. Good thing we didn't draft that guaranteed all time bust :wallbash:

Yea, well stated :thumbsup:

Not to mention to the OP that Mayock is also an announcer for games and probably hadn't delved into player analysis until recently

Mayock was into player evaluations long before he was an announcer.

Actually Mayock said that if you took his SENIOR YEAR TAPE ALONEthat he wouldn't be even a third round pick, however, if you look at his junior year tape, he looks much better. He looked good at the Senior Bowl which is why everyone has him so high. He is an enigma and hard to grade. I think Nix looks more at tape than allstar games and the combine. Having a poor senior season should wave all kinds of red flags not to draft this guy early. I hope we fill our big need at DE via free agency, as Mayock himself said he hates this years DE class in the draft.

Actually Mayock said that if you took his SENIOR YEAR TAPE ALONEthat he wouldn't be even a third round pick, however, if you look at his junior year tape, he looks much better. He looked good at the Senior Bowl which is why everyone has him so high. He is an enigma and hard to grade. I think Nix looks more at tape than allstar games and the combine. Having a poor senior season should wave all kinds of red flags not to draft this guy early. I hope we fill our big need at DE via free agency, as Mayock himself said he hates this years DE class in the draft.

Yeah he played mostly DT his junior year. You Don`t have to be as fast as a DE . He has no quick first step for a DE. He is More PUSH THAN Speed RUSH. He also Sux against top tackles.

You are right about one thing...Mayock is the best...

Again...The same Robert Ayers who had 2 Sacks in a Playoff Win, was a HUGE piece of a pretty good young Defense, is being praised by his Teammates for his hard work and improvement, and played out of Position early on in his Pro career...

Lets wait a few Years before we determine the final grade on Ayers...He may not be the best Defender from that Draft...But he also may turn out to be REAL good nonetheless... B-)

Couldn't agree more. I was really hoping we would take him as we were 43 then but when he went to Denver and they wanted to play him 34OLB I thought he was screwed. He looked a lot better this year and great in the playoffs so hopefully it turns around for him.

Yeah he played mostly DT his junior year. You Don`t have to be as fast as a DE . He has no quick first step for a DE. He is More PUSH THAN Speed RUSH. He also Sux against top tackles.

This is probably not what we are looking to draft. I hope we stay away from this guy.

Maybe one of these guys: 1) Mario Williams (Will need big $)

2) Cliff Avril (May get the franchise tag)

3) Robert Mathis (a little old)

4) John Abraham (also a little old)

5) Anthony Spencer (OLB/DE type)

6) Jeremy Mincey

Edited by turftoe

Now says he`s not worth a 1st 2nd or even a 3rd rd pick. This after watching more tape. This is what I have been preaching for weeks .Slow,lazy and horrible against top tackles. Took you long enough Mayock to climb aboard.

I compare him to Carlos Dunlap who is a pretty good DE, though not a great pass rusher (14 sacks in 2 seasons with Cinci). . Also compares to Calais Campbell. Tall, long armed strong side DE's with decent but not exceptional pass rush skill.

Both Dunlap and Campbell were at one point considered potential very high first round picks during the college careers but neither lived up to that type of hype and both ended up as second round picks. That was higher than some people projected them actually, which is a pretty good indicator that Coples might not slip as far as Mayock thinks he should.

They were both seen as players with a lot of "bust" potential. Hasn't happened, maybe because they weren't given those first round paydays.

Mayock was into player evaluations long before he was an announcer.

I agree, all I was doing was pointing out to the OP is that Mayock does some game announcing during the season and probably doesn't get into player evaluating until after the season is over.

The OP stated :

Now says he`s not worth a 1st 2nd or even a 3rd rd pick. This after watching more tape. This is what I have been preaching for weeks .Slow,lazy and horrible against top tackles. Took you long enough Mayock to climb aboard.

1329504304[/url]' post='2384895']

I don't get why some fans are so scared of Coples that they are taking a proactive approach to attacking a guy that might not even fall to us? Could it be that he is considered the top DE and possibly best defender in the draft by many experts? Man I get supporting everyone's pet player but this has gotten crazy. It's starting to sound as bad as the Cam Newton bashing that took place last year. Good thing we didn't draft that guaranteed all time bust :wallbash:

Either you like him or you don't. Looks like there's more people here that don't. This is what message boards are for, discussing football. We are. As for Cam, some people hated him. Some people loved him. They discussed it. That's what we do here. Not sure why you're getting all butthurt. This isn't getting crazy in the least. Look at last years Von Miller thread. That got crazy...and it was awesome. Calm down IMO.

Couldn't agree more. I was really hoping we would take him as we were 43 then but when he went to Denver and they wanted to play him 34OLB I thought he was screwed. He looked a lot better this year and great in the playoffs so hopefully it turns around for him.

I also loved Ayers and thought the same thing… he isn't the athlete to be a 3-4 OLB, what the hell is McDaniels doing?

Now he's back to his natural position and I expect him to become an outstanding player.

As for Coples, like I posted once before, I'm not sure it's that he's lazy or lacks intensity… it could be that he lacks the fast-twitch, explosive type muscle fibers.

Regardless, I don't like the videotape I've watched on him… not that crazy about Mercilus either although I like him better than Coples.

Mayock should put an asterisk by every player he thinks will be good. * = will be good unless he's drafted by the Bills and their terrible bum coaching staff.

Their coaching staff are only bums while coaching for the Bills. With a team like - oh, let's say the Giants - they win Super Bowls...

I agree, all I was doing was pointing out to the OP is that Mayock does some game announcing during the season and probably doesn't get into player evaluating until after the season is over.

The OP stated :

Gotcha. I thought you were referring to him career-wise.