Awake

Acantha

Just caught the premier for this show, and I have to say I liked it. Not the normal type of show that usually gets talked about around here, so not sure how many people are interested in dramas like this, but it's a unique idea that I think could be good. Jason Isaacs was pretty good in it.

Just caught the premier for this show, and I have to say I liked it. Not the normal type of show that usually gets talked about around here, so not sure how many people are interested in dramas like this, but it's a unique idea that I think could be good. Jason Isaacs was pretty good in it.

I thought that wasn't starting 'til March. And yes, it looks pretty good.

Enjoyed Isaacs' performance in the BBC / PBS Masterpiece Mystery "Case Histories" last fall. This might mean the end of that series if it gets picked up. The networks have certainly had a string of 'em in recent years trying to pick up British actors and mash 'em into plots with recycled American character actors --- ones that still have active studio contracts where they're paid whether they're filming anything or not. Joseph Fiennes in "Flash Forward," former Doctor Who star David Tennant in "Rex is Not Your Lawyer" (which sadly never made it to air for reasons unbeknownst; it had even been getting a fair amount of critical buzz) and some dude who was also in "Flash Forward" and now playing the director in "SMASH."

It's funny, I had a project going around town that was often compared to Awake -- not in terms of story so much as the coolness factor. I heard this so often that eventually it started to piss me off in the competitive kind of way. So I got my hands on it and read it, convinced when I did I'd see that, while cool, Awake would be nowhere near as good as mine. And dammit if it wasn't really !@#$ing awesome.

I am excited to check out the pilot, I hope the show does well. Network TV needs it to.