Jaws out of MNF booth

Beerball

I never like Jaws in the broadcast booth. He always stuck me as a dopey, unconvincing analyst. Now Gruden, I love. The guy is full of personality and gives tremendous insight on the offensive side of the ball. What a character, the man is damn entertaining.

They booted the wrong guy. Gruden blows.

I really am not a big fan of the MNF broadcast on ESPN, at all. Tirico is dull as hell, Gruden, in 3 short years, has gotten old and stale, like John Madden did, after 25 years(who was much better at this schtick), and Jaws, much as I love the guy for his studio work, is just not a good color guy.

I like Gruddens' football camp shows, or whatever they call them, but not so much because of him...it is more cuz I just like the idea of breaking down the highly touted college players one on one...he is just not a great broadcaster for games.

i still prefer a 3 man booth.....somebody on the defensive side of the ball....say like Deion Sanders (PRIMETIME)he is funny, entertaining, engaging and informative. i think the analyst should have a foil as part of their schtick.

As crazy as it sounds, it can work...and as crazier as it may sound, Mike Patrick, Paul Maguire and Joe Theisman were good together...even though Theisman was a blowhard.

All in all though, right now, Michaels and Collinsworth are the best in the business.

Edited by Buftex

Tirico is horrible and has admitted to knowing people think he talks too much instead of just announcing the game but said he is is a journalist first...dope

Gruden is terrible and thinks everyone is great

how about some real announcers that just announce the game and are not afraid to be critical when they should be

Now Gruden, I love. The guy is full of personality and gives tremendous insight on the offensive side of the ball. What a character, the man is damn entertaining.

When he isn't ball washing any and all big-name QBs playing.

I thought he was going to offer to have Brady's baby a couple times.

I must say that I'm not surprised. He and Gruden did not appear to mesh. Still, he does have a new 5 year contract.

link

Time to make him offensive quality control coach.

I really am not a big fan of the MNF broadcast on ESPN, at all. Tirico is dull as hell, Gruden, in 3 short years, has gotten old and stale, like John Madden did, after 25 years(who was much better at this schtick), and Jaws, much as I love the guy for his studio work, is just not a good color guy.

I like Gruddens' football camp shows, or whatever they call them, but not so much because of him...it is more cuz I just like the idea of breaking down the highly touted college players one on one...he is just not a great broadcaster for games.

As crazy as it sounds, it can work...and as crazier as it may sound, Mike Patrick, Paul Maguire and Joe Theisman were good together...even though Theisman was a blowhard.

All in all though, right now, Michaels and Collinsworth are the best in the business.

Honestly I don't care who is in the booth, I really don't even pay attention to what they say, just watchin the game.

You didn't like Howard, Frank, and Dandy Don? :unsure:

LOL....I almost added an exception for any booth involving Cosell but figured most of the crowd wouldn't remember them anyway (and to be honest, I was pretty young myself). So yes, that is the singular exception to the rule.

I hate 3 man announce teams

The only thing I hate more in terms of football broadcasts are the 5 man "cackling/backslapping/let's talk all over each other" pregame & halftime shows.

PS They gave the wrong guy the boot. I would have dumped Gruden instead.

Edited by LabattBlue

I liked Jaws breakdown of plays. Gruden gets annoying after awhile.

That is definitely Jaworski's strength, but the MNF broadcast doesn't really allow for much of that...3 men in the booth makes it even worse.

May take crap for this, because he seems to be universally loathed, but Dan Dierdorf is so much better on Sunday afternoon games than he was on Monday Night Football. I heard him interviewed, talking about how different it was doing a Sunday afternoon game, than it was doing MNF, where you were encouraged to over emphasize things for the casual viewer, that the harcore fan doesn't really care about, or already knows. It is sort of like a Super Bowl-lite in some ways. It is expected that wives and girlfriends are more likely to be watching a prime-time game with their partners, than they would on Sunday afternoon. Maybe this expectation is what makes the MNF broadcasts so weak?