Why the Combine is a Waste of Time & Money

CSBill

The thing is.... Mike Mayock states when he watches someone really step up at the combine and wow everyone with the numbers...then he goes back and watches more game film.

Mostly to make certain this prospect isn't just a workout warrior. Should the game film equal the combine performance then that player will move up the draft board. If it doesn't, then the player doesn't move up on Mikes board.

The scouting combine used to be THE main attraction for a player to showcase their skill set and abilities!

But, with expansion of pro team scouting departments within the past 20 years--along with innovative advancments in technology--pro teams have all the tools needed to evaluate players before the combine even takes place!

Today, the combine is still key in the decision process of where a player will be placed on team draft boards!

Maybin.

AMEN! I'm hearing Jeremy Lin news on WBEN in the morning, it;s sickening. If this kid wasn't playing in NYC, his 7 or whatever game strecth would be meaningless but because it's nYS, everyone from that blowhard from the News Jerry Sullivan to Susan Rose on WBEN is talking about the guy. I seem to recall a hockey playe rin Edmonton with 8 points in a game a week or so ago who had 14 points in 6 games, why are we not hearing about him? Becuase he's in Edmonton!

That's becasue it's hockey. Canadian hockey.

Anyway, I think the Lin story would still be big outside of NYC (or even "nYS"), because the team has been so bad for so long, depite big name players.

I think teams get a better feel for a player when they are are on even playing field. If I were the NFL I'd make it manditory to attend if invited. Look at Jamarcus Russell. Skips the combine and "wows" at his pro day. Throwing to you own guys and being the focus, has to be a lot easier than trying to stand out in the crowd at the combine.

I think the interviews and being able to see a player's health has some merit.

The combine may not be the be all end all for the NFL teams, but for me it introduces me to players I've never or rarely seen. :thumbsup:

Is the combine fool proof??..no not by along shot. Its to determine athleticism and work ethic. If a player does well at the combine he must have great athleticism not just natural but to separate himself from other players he must have worked at it. In order to succeed in the NFL a player must have athleticism and be willing to work hard at it, and to be willing to but a lot of hard work into something one must have the desire and be driven to succeed with a certain amount of competitiveness. It also gives the organizations some more time to get a better feel of the players that they are about to give large sums of money to.

Alson Jeffery is the prefect example why the combine exists. He's falling down draft boards because the rumor is he is over weight. He could blow it off and just have his pro day work out, but I think that would throw a red flag.

We'll all see for sure at the combine!

My conclusion, teams like the Bills need to put far more stock in production than combine scores. Draft people that play the best competition, and who have had the best results (winners) . . .

How do you know they don't? Plus, you just shot youself in the foot by stating "draft people that play the best competition". Well, Jeremy Lin played in the Ivy League... about as low on the Div. I hoop scale you can go... not to mention the jury is still out on Lin, as none of the Teams he beat are all way under .500.

The combine is just another tool in evaluating talent. No one and no team puts all of their eggs in that one basket. There's BLESTO evaluators, individual team scouts with their grades, coaches review film, teams always look at production. Teams hire private investigators to get the whole story on a player

And... yes... it is a crap shoot. There is no sure fire science. But, it's the best science there is.

Considering that NFL teams pay the players nearly $4 billion a year, the Combine is a really good way for a team to gain a comfort level with many players.

Also I believe that the NFL must make some revenue off of ads for the combine too so that defrays some of the cost of holding the Combine.

Finally as a fan, I couldn't care less whether the Combine is a useful expenditure or not to the teams… I love watching that stuff.