Gas prices up 83% under obama

erynthered

Bush bad!!

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/obama-cites-rising-gas-prices-83-percent-under-his-tenure-among-reasons-extend-payroll

When Obama entered the White House in January 2009, the city average price for one gallon of regular unleaded gasoline was $1.79, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. The figures are in nominal dollars: not adjusted for inflation. Five months later in June, unleaded gasoline was $2.26 per gallon, an increase of 26 percent. By December 2011, the price of regular unleaded gas per gallon was $3.28, an 83 percent increase from January 2009.

Bush bad!!

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/obama-cites-rising-gas-prices-83-percent-under-his-tenure-among-reasons-extend-payroll

When Obama entered the White House in January 2009, the city average price for one gallon of regular unleaded gasoline was $1.79, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. The figures are in nominal dollars: not adjusted for inflation. Five months later in June, unleaded gasoline was $2.26 per gallon, an increase of 26 percent. By December 2011, the price of regular unleaded gas per gallon was $3.28, an 83 percent increase from January 2009.

He's just coming through on a campaign promise.

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2011/03/028618.php

From the campaign trail, then Senator Obama spoke of increased electricity prices as a means for advancing his agenda, noting that costs would "necessarily skyrocket." Energy Secretary Stephen Chu was equally blunt. "Somehow we have to figure out how to boost the price of gasoline to the levels in Europe [currently $8 a gallon]," Mr. Chu announced. Last year, President Obama declared that America must be the nation that leads the "clean energy economy."

So far, pushing policies that raise energy costs and bolster the case for currently unaffordable green energy sources is one promise for change that the administration seems intent to keep no matter what it costs.

U.S. News

Still not as high as the peaks under Bush.

Bit of a stretch to tie this to Obama. In case people haven't noticed, Iranian sanctions are set to take effect this summer, just in time for peak driving season. There's increasing talk about a shooting war in the Straits of Hormuz. What do you think is going to happen to the price of oil?

Haven't seen all those live "news" reports from gas pumps of people complaining tho, have you?

Hmm. I wonder why?

Maybe they'll re-run that made for TV movie that came out during the post-Katrina price spike; the one where gas goes to $8/gallon and America turns into Haiti as a result. Naah, probably not.

Wow, imagine that, gas prices rising as the economy gets better. Who'd of thunk that would happen? :oops:

Thats partially true, but even more so globally. The current price of oil has very very little to do with Obama, the only real tangible difference short-term that he has had an impact with oil is some of the lost production and rigs from the moratoria he imposed earlier, which max only has contributed about $2-3 to the current price of oil. Having said, his long term polices if continued will have a larger effect on oil prices, keystone pipeline if not followed through will have an impact, not allowing more drilling for oil in certain areas will as well.

But Dave, I'm sure that when prices were rising under Bush, I would bet my left nut that you were one of those that said that Bush and Cheney are rewarding their "oil buddies" with those higher prices of oil.

At least I'm objective enough to point out that this is a strawman argument, blaming the president on CURRENT oil prices. But, since the other side did it, if I were a political operative I would impose the same tactics, simply because there are enough uninformed people to come to that same conclusion.

Also in regards to the economy, I'm glad you brought that up.

Almost half of small-business owners in the U.S. who are not hiring new employees say worries about the potential cost of health care and new government regulations are the reasons they are not hiring, according to a new Gallup Poll released Wednesday.

An overwhelming majority of small-business owners surveyed, 85 percent, indicated that they are currently not looking for new workers. Asked why, 48 percent of those not hiring said it was due to concerns about possible rising health care costs, while 46 percent said they were worried about new government regulations.

Other concerns include worries that revenues and sales won’t justify the additional employees, 71 percent; worries about the current state of the U.S. economy, 66 percent; and worries about cash flow or the ability to make payroll, 53 percent.

Almost one in four small-business owners who are currently not expanding their workforce, 24 percent, said they are holding back from hiring because they are worried about no longer being in business in 12 months.

And while 65 percent of small-business owners said they have as many employees as they need, 29 percent said they have fewer workers than needed.

This was a poll conducted by that very partisan polling center, Gallup. Yep, the economy is as you put it "BOOM"ing now, with 85% of small businesses ("the engine of America") not looking to hire. Sort of puts things into perspective with that phony 8.3% unemployment rate, kinda reflects there are major fractures in our labor force, and half of those businesses point to Obamas regulations and healthcare costs that the president said he would be able to lower.

But I"m sure you will just say "na na na na, I can't hear you, they are all just whiny partisans, na na na na, I don't hear you"

Funny how this sort of ties into the Thiel conversation.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0212/72892.html#ixzz1mSflE9n8

Edited by Magox

Bit of a stretch to tie this to Obama. In case people haven't noticed, Iranian sanctions are set to take effect this summer, just in time for peak driving season. There's increasing talk about a shooting war in the Straits of Hormuz. What do you think is going to happen to the price of oil?

Thats why i put "Bush Bad"

This was a poll conducted by that very partisan polling center, Gallup. Yep, the economy is as you put it "BOOM"ing now, with 85% of small businesses ("the engine of America") not looking to hire. Sort of puts things into perspective with that phony 8.3% unemployment rate, kinda reflects there are major fractures in our labor force, and half of those businesses point to Obamas regulations and healthcare law.

But I"m sure you will just say "na na na na, I can't hear you, they are all just whiny partisans, na na na na, I don't hear you"

And that is what happens when the president is more concerned with his legacy than what is right for the nation at the time, and crams all of his half-conceived legislation down our throats. Many would argue there is never a good time to institute Obamacare, but I think all would agree that there was never a worse time.

Thats partially true, but even more so globally. The current price of oil has very very little to do with Obama, the only real tangible difference short-term that he has had an impact with oil is some of the lost production and rigs from the moratoria he imposed earlier, which max only has contributed about $2-3 to the current price of oil. Having said, his long term polices if continued will have a larger effect on oil prices, keystone pipeline if not followed through will have an impact, not allowing more drilling for oil in certain areas will as well.

But Dave, I'm sure that when prices were rising under Bush, I would bet my left nut that you were one of those that said that Bush and Cheney are rewarding their "oil buddies" with those higher prices of oil.

At least I'm objective enough to point out that this is a strawman argument, blaming the president on CURRENT oil prices. But, since the other side did it, if I were a political operative I would impose the same tactics, simply because there are enough uninformed people to come to that same conclusion.

Also in regards to the economy, I'm glad you brought that up.

This was a poll conducted by that very partisan polling center, Gallup. Yep, the economy is as you put it "BOOM"ing now, with 85% of small businesses ("the engine of America") not looking to hire. Sort of puts things into perspective with that phony 8.3% unemployment rate, kinda reflects there are major fractures in our labor force, and half of those businesses point to Obamas regulations and healthcare costs that the president said he would be able to lower.

Hello there Mr. Objective!

Did I blame Bush for the oil prices? No, my gripe with him was the war, which did affect oil prices, though. I enjoyed Bush being bashed by the independents for the oil prices, and I sure as hell didn't go out of my way to defend him, but I don't think his oil buddies were delibertly profiting from it. I just saw it for what it was, a world economy thirsty for oil demanding more. I did think Bush wasn't doing anything on the alternative front, like Obama is, but that's another story.

As to the health costs thing, they would be going up regardless, Obama or no Obama. I'm not surprised that after this severve of a financial crisis the small business owners are a little afraid to stick their toes back in the water. Confidence still needs to build up. But there are many good signs. How long before Apple hits $600?

Did I blame Bush for the oil prices? No, my gripe with him was the war, which did affect oil prices, though. I enjoyed Bush being bashed by the independents for the oil prices, and I sure as hell didn't go out of my way to defend him, but I don't think his oil buddies were delibertly profiting from it. I just saw it for what it was, a world economy thirsty for oil demanding more. I did think Bush wasn't doing anything on the alternative front, like Obama is, but that's another story.

As to the health costs thing, they would be going up regardless, Obama or no Obama. I'm not surprised that after this severve of a financial crisis the small business owners are a little afraid to stick their toes back in the water. Confidence still needs to build up. But there are many good signs. How long before Apple hits $600?

Oh God. You're an idiot. :wallbash:

And yes, healthcare costs were gonna go up regardless, but the president said his healthcare bill would bend the cost curve, did he not? well he was right, but it bent it to the upside. Shouldn't he be held accountable for his failed promises?

Kaiser's survey found that annual insurance premiums to cover people through their employers average $5,429 for single people and $15,073 for a family of four in 2011. Those rates rose 8% for single people and 9% for families. In 2010, premiums rose just 3% for families from the previous year. Kaiser Family Foundation also found premiums were lower for families at small firms than for those at large firms.

But lets just say his policies had nothing to do with that, just for the sake of argument, approximately half the people who took that poll citied regulations as reasons for not hiring. Remember when you and I had this conversation, I cited SPECIFIC examples of companies and industries that made these claims and you scoffed at that suggestion. Now you have a poll taken by SMALL BUSINESS owners that are saying the same thing. I guess you'll ignore that too right? <_<

Oh, and are you saying Apple hitting $600 = US having a strong and vibrant DOMESTIC economy? Is that what you are trying to say? Really???

CUPERTINO, CaliforniaOctober 18, 2011Apple® today announced financial results for its fiscal 2011 fourth quarter ended September 24, 2011. The Company posted quarterly revenue of $28.27 billion and quarterly net profit of $6.62 billion, or $7.05 per diluted share. These results compare to revenue of $20.34 billion and net quarterly profit of $4.31 billion, or $4.64 per diluted share, in the year-ago quarter. Gross margin was 40.3 percent compared to 36.9 percent in the year-ago quarter. International sales accounted for 63 percent of the quarters revenue.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2011/10/18Apple-Reports-Fourth-Quarter-Results.html

Yeah and I guess the "BOOM"ing economy had more to do with that then their ability to innovate and maximize on a growing consumer global market.

Edited by Magox

It's all Obama's fault..... The Arab Spring, unrest in Lybia, Syria, hack madinajob,

Gasoline prices have risen by nearly a third in the last year, and oil costs more than $100 a barrel for the first time in more than two years, driven by fears of extended Middle East supply disruptions and increased demand from an improving global economy.

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/clay-waters/2011/03/10/us-prepared-357-gas-under-bush-255-was-recession-predictor#ixzz1mTJXQhL5

May 17 (Bloomberg) -- President George W. Bush allowed an increase in oil refinery mergers to go unchecked since he took office and may have contributed to the highest gasoline prices in 20 years as the November election approaches.

The Bush administration approved 33 takeovers totaling $19.5 billion, on top of 21 deals worth $7.3 billion under President Bill Clinton, Bloomberg data shows. Reduced supplies were already pushing up gas prices in Clinton's term, according to a Federal Trade Commission study conducted after pump prices rose to more than $2 a gallon in Milwaukee and Chicago in 2000.

OR

Gas prices: Worse than '81 oil shock

May 21 2007: 5:46 PM EDT

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Gasoline prices have soared to levels never seen before as even the inflation-adjusted price for a gallon of unleaded topped the 1981 record spike in price that had stood for 26 years.

And higher prices could be on the way as Americans get ready to hit the road for the Memorial Day holiday and the start of the summer driving season.

The Energy Information Administration's latest pump price, when adjusted for inflation, also reached a new peak. The EIA said Monday the average price for regular unleaded gasoline soared 11.5 cents over the past week to a fresh record of $3.22 a gallon, the all-time high fuel cost reached in March 1981.

and

January 4, 2008—General Motors unveils that it has lost an automotive record of approximately $38 billion during the 2007 year. Little did they know, the worst was only yet to come!

April 21, 2008—Gasoline prices jump to a record $3.50 a gallon in some parts of the U.S.

May 15, 2008— While many people were shocked at $3 a gallon, they were not prepared for what was about to happen as prices shot up to nearly $4 a gallon. Public hysteria sets in as consumers begin using Gas Buddy to find the lowest gas prices in town.

May 21, 2008—Oil price skyrockets to $130 a barrel.!!!

June 9, 2008—Retail gas prices rise above $4 per gallon.

then magically

Oct. 16, 2008—Oil prices fall below $70 a barrel, which is less than half of its July peak. Signs of $1.99 a gallon gas brings celebration to the masses. Some consumers begin to talk about dragging out their gas guzzling SUV's and Winnebago's for the first time in months.

Nov. 3, 2008—U.S. Gas prices drop to $1.72 a gallon. Some gas stations even roll out a $.99 cent promotional deal. Treehuggers question whether the sudden drop is as good as most consumers seem to think it is.

http://www.treehugger.com/corporate-responsibility/2008-us-gas-price-year-in-review.html

Thank you.

I got 2 flat tires this year. Obama bad.