Sporting News takes a stab at offseason game plan

Beerball

Their mock draft has us picking Coples.

They have Johnson ranked as the #24 available FA (Lynch is ranked #22)

Needs: pass rusher, WR, CB, LT, TE

Fan patience has run out with this team because of those 12 playoff-less seasons. The front office has to know that.

Given the rollover of unspent cash from previous years, the Bills have the flexibility to be aggressive in free agency. The truth is, they’ll have to be. Recruiting free agents to small-market, snowy Buffalo isn’t easy without spending big dollars.

The 2011 draft class of general manager Buddy Nix showed promise. Nix will be under great pressure to duplicate that in April, most critically by finding a pass rusher. Assuming the Bills can fill that and other needs and find a way to stay healthier, the goal will be to make a serious run at a playoff berth.

link

If we can get a decent pass-rusher in FA, not getting one in the first round won't hurt as much. I just hope we can get one in round 2 if that happens.

I understand your way of thinking but I'm thinking yours is like mixing a half a cup of full flavored Pepsi with the other half being Diet Pepsi...

In our case (calories amount to need of pass rushers) we need a lot of calories so I say full flavored Pepsi (no diet, no Pepsi One, no Pepsi max with 0 calories) is what we need...

I say we go after Mario Williams or Osi Umenyiora heavy and then spend the 1st pick in the draft also on a pass rusher... IMO of course...

If we can get a decent pass-rusher in FA, not getting one in the first round won't hurt as much. I just hope we can get one in round 2 if that happens.

They should really get one in FA AND draft one in the first round if they're serious about solving their problem. Good pass rushers are premium FAs and probably out of the Bills price range but maybe they could swing someone like John Abraham as a stopgap until they can stock up on pass rushers via the draft.

I understand your way of thinking but I'm thinking yours is like mixing a half a cup of full flavored Pepsi with the other half being Diet Pepsi...

In our case (calories amount to need of pass rushers) we need a lot of calories so I say full flavored Pepsi (no diet, no Pepsi One, no Pepsi max with 0 calories) is what we need...

I say we go after Mario Williams or Osi Umenyiora heavy and then spend the 1st pick in the draft also on a pass rusher... IMO of course...

I think either of those two would cost way too much. I'd settle for a solid player like Cliff Avril or the FA from NE (I forgot his name). If we can get Coples at #10, fine, but I don't want Upshaw for this defense and Mercilus/Ingram have too many ??s for my taste at #10.

They should really get one in FA AND draft one in the first round if they're serious about solving their problem. Good pass rushers are premium FAs and probably out of the Bills price range but maybe they could swing someone like John Abraham as a stopgap until they can stock up on pass rushers via the draft.

Fine, but remember, you don't need to draft all of your pass rushers in the 1st round. Just ask the Giants.

Dwight Freeny might be the Colts cast-off available this tear. His salary is $14 mil, he refused to take a pay cut, and he doesn't want to switch to OLB as Indy jumps on the 3-4 bandwagon. Plus they've said resigning Mathis is a priority.

As far as taking a DE in the first, I know it's early but most mocks show quality pass rushing DE prospects lasting to our second pick. Plus, drafting a guy at #10 doesn't make him any better than if you picked him in the second.