Nick Barnett's reaction...

Justice

If you want context then don't take a small portion of the team's play. The bigger context is that the Bills have been bad for a generation. All teams are subjected to injuries. A team lacking in quality reserves is going to be more negatively impacted than teams that have a better level of reserves.

You talk about the Bills started out great. So what. How did they finish? Losing 7 out of 9 or somewhere in that dismal range. I recall the Bills had an impressive start in one of Jauron's season. That got him a generous contract extenstion. Then the season collapsed. A meaningful context, as you put it, has little to do with how you start and everything to do with your overall performance.

I have no doubt that Fitz's performance drop had a lot to do with him being hurt. When you have no credible backup then there should be no surprise as to why Fitz continued to play.

I said it before and I will say it again: Excuses are for losers. You are what your record is.

a small portion.. thats funny. Yes, we've all heard that one player doesn't make a team. but if you take 3 or 4 players out than can and do play key roles....

Yes, the Bills have sucked for years. That doesn't mean that they will suck forever. Though you seem to believe so.

If you don't like cheapskate Ralph, then don't be a fan while he's still kicking.

Let me finish with this -

Is Danial Snyder cheap? Jerry Jones? Neither of them has been deep into the playoffs in a while either.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Danial Snyder cheap? Jerry Jones? Neither of them has been deep into the playoffs in a while either.

What else do Snyder, Jones and Wilson have in common?

All could be considered meddlesome owners. Perhaps that is the common denominator. Owners who hire competent NFL people to run their organizations have a much better chance of success.

a small portion.. thats funny. Yes, we've all heard that one player doesn't make a team. but if you take 3 or 4 players out than can and do play key roles....

Yes, the Bills have sucked for years. That doesn't mean that they will suck forever. Though you seem to believe so.

If you don't like cheapskate Ralph, then don't be a fan while he's still kicking.

Let me finish with this -

If I said anything that is inaccurate about the team's record then point it out to me. You can't, so you have to resort to diversionary issues such as loyalty.

With respect to the owner my feelings are well known. As an owner he is inept. His staffing decisions are not only disasterous but at times outright weird. One day he praises Modrak, our head college scout, and then proclaims that the team doesn't have much talent. Make sense of that.

With respect to Snyder and Jerry Jones spending a lot of money and not having commensurate results my response is simple: Who cares what they do? You get judged on your own record. Pointing out the records of other owners to justify your own failures is a bizarre way to evaluate your own performance. If you want to be critical of the Redskins and Cowboys then consider the fact that both organizations have multiple SB trophies. The Bills haven't been able to qualify for the expanded playoffs for a dozen years and still counting.

The origin of this discussion with you goes back to your claim that injuries were the main reason why the Bills had a losing record of 6-10. That is a lame excuse for an organization that has faltered for a generation. The Bills record last year spiraled downwards for the simple fact that its roster didn't have enough overall talent to compensate for the inevitable reality of having players get hurt.

I'll repeat what I had said before: Excuses are for losers. The way to get out of this muck of mediocrity is to add more talent to the roster, not whine about injuries that all teams have to contend with.

What else do Snyder, Jones and Wilson have in common?

All could be considered meddlesome owners. Perhaps that is the common denominator. Owners who hire competent NFL people to run their organizations have a much better chance of success.

While others are looking for excuses you hone in to the main reason why this organization has for too long struggled: The caliber of ownership. While some fawing fans are looking for excuses you are going directly to the top and holding the boss accountable. If the owner wants to play then he should be held responsible.

The irony is that I believe the owner is now less involved due to his age and health status. His surrogate,Littman, is involved with the financial issues but in my opinion the football staff are making the football decisions without much interference. That is progress and a good sign.

A fan of Ralph? WTF??

You can be a fan of Ralph. Leave the Bills to the rest of us who don't share your misplaced Ralph love.

This acceptance of generational ineptitude is at times too much to take. The Bills have had one owner in its inglorious history. And yet some fawning fans haven't figured it out that the owner who has designed the organizational structure of his franchise and run it in the odd way he sees fit escapes accountability for its record. It's not only baffling but it is ludicrous.

This acceptance of generational ineptitude is at times too much to take. The Bills have had one owner in its inglorious history. And yet some fawning fans haven't figured it out that the owner who has designed the organizational structure of his franchise and run it in the odd way he sees fit escapes accountability for its record. It's not only baffling but it is ludicrous.

Not really baffling. Mr. Wilson has kept the Bills in Buffalo. To many, that is enough.

A fan of Ralph? WTF??

You can be a fan of Ralph. Leave the Bills to the rest of us who don't share your misplaced Ralph love.

I'm not a Ralph apologist whatsoever. JC wants to believe that all of the Bills ills stem from cheepassed Ralph alone. The Big spenders have crappy teams too.

While others are looking for excuses you hone in to the main reason why this organization has for too long struggled: The caliber of ownership. While some fawing fans are looking for excuses you are going directly to the top and holding the boss accountable. If the owner wants to play then he should be held responsible.

The irony is that I believe the owner is now less involved due to his age and health status. His surrogate,Littman, is involved with the financial issues but in my opinion the football staff are making the football decisions without much interference. That is progress and a good sign.

Yeah, Ralph is probably not at all involved in day to day activities. Unfortuantely he didn't build a strong front office so guys like Littman are calling the shots rather than football people. I disagree with your last statement though. When Nix admits that he does not get involved at all with contract negotiations then who's running the show?

I'm not a Ralph apologist whatsoever. JC wants to believe that all of the Bills ills stem from cheepassed Ralph alone. The Big spenders have crappy teams too.

You are missing the point. All the ills of the franchise can't be attributed to the frugality of the owner, although it is a major factor. Most of my criticisms of him have to do with his stupendous incompetence. He has personally made most of the major hires. So the argument that others have failed him is bogus. Bringing in Levy to replace Donahoe was a very odd thing to do. Then when Levy bolted the organization he placed the head of marketing, Brandon, as the head of the football operation. You don't think that was weird?

What the big spending owners do has nothing to do with the way Ralph has run his own organization. Ralph has failed as an owner on his own inadequacies.

Yeah, Ralph is probably not at all involved in day to day activities. Unfortuantely he didn't build a strong front office so guys like Littman are calling the shots rather than football people.

The owner knew what he was doing when he designed an organization that was dominated by the business side. For all the churning of the football staff the business staff has been very stable. Littman has extreme authority because Wilson has empowered him. Littman was his primary business advisor for all of his holdings for a very long time. He is the one person whom he totally trusts. As the owner ages and gets less involved Littman is going to be the most influential person in the organization because that is the way the owner wanted it to be.

I disagree with your last statement though. When Nix admits that he does not get involved at all with contract negotiations then who's running the show?

Oberdorf handles the contracts. That is the way the owner wanted it to be. Nix knew what his limitations were going to be before he took the job. Nix makes the football decisions within the confines of the budget established by the owner's finance people. If Littman tells Nix that so much $$$ has to be cut from the roster Nix decides which salaried players will get cut. The finance people don't care who gets cut, they are only interested that the right amount of money is dumped from the roster.

I believe that from a football standpoint Nix knows what he is doing. Don't believe the garbage that was spewed when he took over that the team was not far from being a good team. Nix took over an expansion caliber team. Although the record might not show it he is making progress in reshaping the hollow roster he inherited. I do believe that he is moving the team in the right direction. The Bills will get better and be more competitive but they will not be good enough to make the playoffs as long as Ralph is the owner. (I'm sure a lot of people will not accept that position but it is true.) Organizational limitations will only allow so much upside when competing with franchises that are serious about winning.

Edited by JohnC