Are Church Confessions Safe?

It had been my understanding that if a priest were to reveal in court testimony what was said in a confession scenario, it would be allowable, but that he would have to answer for it professionally (risking being de-frocked) and spiritually. Kind of how journalists have that unwritten rule for protecting their sources --- most judges will respect that tradition, but there's nothing prohibiting a journalist from testifying if they want to (realizing they won't ever work again) or for a judge throwing them in jail for not revealing a source as with Judith Miller.

Guess that assumption was wrong.

That first quoted Michigan law is pretty clear --- they aren't allowed to testify in the state even if they want to. I don't know how this court gets off on flouting it. Wonder how many states have similar laws?

It had been my understanding that if a priest were to reveal in court testimony what was said in a confession scenario, it would be allowable, but that he would have to answer for it professionally (risking being de-frocked) and spiritually. Kind of how journalists have that unwritten rule for protecting their sources --- most judges will respect that tradition, but there's nothing prohibiting a journalist from testifying if they want to (realizing they won't ever work again) or for a judge throwing them in jail for not revealing a source as with Judith Miller.

Guess that assumption was wrong.

That first quoted Michigan law is pretty clear --- they aren't allowed to testify in the state even if they want to. I don't know how this court gets off on flouting it. Wonder how many states have similar laws?

ya, powerful thing there. We know they have had other reasons to stay silent about crimes committed