Polian says Gronk failed their physical

bbb

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is why I really didn't want to draft him. The Patriots can afford to take a chance - they have two picks in every round of every draft it seems:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/07/polian-says-gronkowski-failed-colts-physical/

I know I wanted him, local guy with skills, can't beat that.

This is why I really didn't want to draft him. The Patriots can afford to take a chance - they have two picks in every round of every draft it seems:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/07/polian-says-gronkowski-failed-colts-physical/

You make a great point that had been overlooked in much of the discussion on this board related to Gronkowski. The Bills certainly weren't in a position to take a potential injury-risk TE. You also correctly point out the huge advantage the Pats draft stockpiling strategy bears in this.

They likely also picked Hernandez in that draft as a hedge in case Gronkowski didn't work out. As both of these picks have blossomed, they've benefited hugely from their strategy. Hate to give the Pats credit, but I wish the Bills Front Office could be as crafty...

Let's not kid ourselves to think Gronkowski would have had 17 TDs with the Bills. Probably would have been good, but Brady is a huge factor in making WRs look great. He'd prob be on the IR becuase the Bills would have made him block.

Let's not kid ourselves to think Gronkowski would have had 17 TDs with the Bills. Probably would have been good, but Brady is a huge factor in making WRs look great. He'd prob be on the IR becuase the Bills would have made him block.

Given how well fitzpatrick was able to find our tight end, a good one, but not exactly as talented as Gronkowski, I don't think I agree with this one. 17 TDs? not exactly, you have to be in position to score that many TDs in a season, but our offense was very effecient at times, and having Gronkowski with Chandler on the field would have definitely made a difference, and I'd go so far to say he'd probable have pulled in 10-12 TDs.

Edited by McKinleys Curse

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/1244303

Intangibles: Has to prove he's healthy after missing the entire 2009 season due to back surgery and concerns over nerve damage. Underwent a microdiscectomy on Sept. 24, but only began running and working out extensively in January.
So he had only began running in January when the draft was in April, the only thing teams had to go on was his 2008 season. Good pick by the Pats*, but very risky.

He takes a pounding. I'll be curious how long/if his body lasts.

I agree. It's good he plays on a grass surface, which probably helps a little.

I also don't get the impression he takes care of his body like say T.O. did, which I believe you need to do to have a long career in the NFL.

I agree. It's good he plays on a grass surface, which probably helps a little.

I also don't get the impression he takes care of his body like say T.O. did, which I believe you need to do to have a long career in the NFL.

New England does not play on a grass surface. They have turf just like us.

Bills don't draft Gronk, they are completely idiots. Bills draft Gronk after missing the year with a back injury and a couple of failed physicals & he gets hurt, they are completely idiots. I love hindsight. You're never wrong!

Edited by C.Biscuit97

You make a great point that had been overlooked in much of the discussion on this board related to Gronkowski. The Bills certainly weren't in a position to take a potential injury-risk TE. You also correctly point out the huge advantage the Pats draft stockpiling strategy bears in this.

Yeah, Troup was a much safer option. :ph34r:

Yeah, Troup was a much safer option. :ph34r:

Nice insightful comment and arm-chair analysis!! Troup problems sprung up last year, not before the draft. Ridiculous comparison. Also, I wasn't advocating that we should have picked Gronkowski, but commenting on how effective the Pats strategy has been working for them allowing them to take the risk, where a team like the Bills couldn't do that w/ their 2nd round pick. I'm as disappointed w/ Troup thus far as anyone, but he was picked as a position of need at the time...

Given how well fitzpatrick was able to find our tight end, a good one, but not exactly as talented as Gronkowski, I don't think I agree with this one. 17 TDs? not exactly, you have to be in position to score that many TDs in a season, but our offense was very effecient at times, and having Gronkowski with Chandler on the field would have definitely made a difference, and I'd go so far to say he'd probable have pulled in 10-12 TDs.

Dunno. I just think Brady is going to throw 40 TDs every year and he's just kind of locked on Gronk. I'm not saying Gronkowski is no good. I'm saying he's a different player on the Bills with different production. Cut his stats in half and I'd say that's about right.

Nice insightful comment and arm-chair analysis!! Troup problems sprung up last year, not before the draft. Ridiculous comparison. Also, I wasn't advocating that we should have picked Gronkowski, but commenting on how effective the Pats strategy has been working for them allowing them to take the risk, where a team like the Bills couldn't do that w/ their 2nd round pick. I'm as disappointed w/ Troup thus far as anyone, but he was picked as a position of need at the time...

I thought his back problem went back to college.

New England does not play on a grass surface. They have turf just like us.

Good to know. Thanks for pointing that out. I was up there in 2003 for the 31-0 rematch drubbing when it was grass. Guess I hadn't paid attention since then on television.

I thought his back problem went back to college.

Started 39 of his 47 career games played and 105 tackles, 24 of which were for a loss … Team captain as a senior helping the Knights to a St. Petersburg Bowl bid

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1621669

47 games in 4 years is about 12 games a season, which is the norm in college. He sounds like he was pretty healthy. Gronk, by comparison, played 21 games in 3 years in college.

Troup has done nothing since the day he was drafted and he was outplayed in preseason by an UDFA. You expect to get something from the 41st selection in the draft. Would it be inciteful enough if I list all of the productive players who were chosen after him?

You are calling him a safe pick. I'm calling him a ****ty pick.