pre combine 3rd draft

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like your draft. I see a top quality OT, a top quality 4-3 DE, and a top quality 4-3 OLB. Nothing to dislike about it. While we need a pass rusher, and I would love to take one at 10, there do not appear to be any worthy of that pick. I'd go with Martin, or any of the other top OT's. My only reservation is that Curry plays his way into the first round, which we could perhaps move back into by trading one of our fourths and swapping some other pick. As an alternative, we could, (flame away at this) trade down to get Curry and get another 2nd round pick. Then we could draft another DL and OLB in the 2nd. Use the 3rd and 4ths for OT, WR, CB's.

Yeah get Curry late in rd1. Get a couple 2nds pick Ronnell Lewis from Okla olb 6-2 244. Then pick Mike Adams 6-7 323 ol from Ohio st.with the other 2nd. 3rd pick Donte Moss De from N.C. 6-4 260 . I think he`s almost as good as Coples.

The Bills have three areas of concern 1. pressure on the QB 2. another weapon on offense 3. overall depth

The Bills are switching to the 4-3 and the Teams I think they should take a close look at are the Giants (48 sacks) and Cincinnati (45 sacks), The Giants are an interest to me because they play a 4-3 with Mathias Kiwanuka playing Strong side linebacker while the Bills have a very similar player in Merriman, Cincinnati is of interest because they managed to get 45 sacks with no player reaching double digits and a DT Geno Atkins being the team leader with 7.5 sacks. The Bills will need to pick up 2-4 decent 4-3 type LBs in the draft. The Bills have two interesting pick ups on the defensive line Jarron Gilbert of jumping out of the pool fame and Kyle Moore who was a pretty good DE for USC.

The Bills offense started off pretty good until ravaged by injury- Stevie Johnson is a legit #1 but not a top 5 or even top 10 WR that being said our chances of keeping him either by contract or franchise tag seem better than getting V. Jackson, Marques Colston, or Dwayne Bowe in Buffalo. I think the Bills go with six WRs Stevie Johnson, David Nelson (slot) and Brad Smith (special teams, wildcat) take three spots while Kamar Akien, Donald Jones, Derek Hagan, Marcus Easley, Naaman Roosevelt, Tim Toone and any FAs battle it out for the #2 wideout position/special teams. Scott Chandler was OK at TE but we don't have that scary weapon at TE that teams like NE,NO,GB,Dallas, SD and a few other teams have. The Bills did sign former basketball player and physical freak Fendi Onobun (6,6 250 4.48 forty) and reasonably athletic Kevin Brock (6,5 260 4.65).

Free Agency- while I'd love a top tier pass rusher like Mario Williams I think Buffalo lacks both the dollars and the draw to get one, thus I am going fairly low rent with the majority of the focus going to sign our own FAs Bell, Stevie Johnson, Chandler, Urbik - my focus for the rest of free agency is young, athletic and reasonably cheap guys so that we can platoon our defensive linemen effectively Jamaal Anderson DE 26, Amobi Okoye DT 25, Quentin Groves LB 27 all fit that description. If enough money is left over then a WR like Robert Meachem, Laurent Robinson, or even Braylon Edwards could help the #2 WR position.

Draft- I believe Buddy when he says football is a game for big people and he also likes versatility

1. Michael Brockers DT -from everything I read his upside is equal to or greater than Coples who I think will be gone.

2. Dwayne Allen TE- The Bills need another weapon on offense and I like him better than the WRs left

3. Trumaine Johnson CB/FS- size and versatility

4a. Brock Osweiler QB - Osweiler has both major upside and major concerns, could go as early as rd2,

4b. Brandon Mosley OT- Good athlete LT needs to put on 10-15lbs and get stronger

5a. Nigel Bradham LB

5b. Tank Carder LB

6. Josh Kaddu LB

7. Greg McCoy CB

an example of platooning Bills Dline might be #1 Carrington LDE, Dareus DT, Kyle Williams DT, Jamaal Anderson RDE

..............................................#2 Gilbert LDE,Brockers DT Okoye DT. Kyle Moore RDE

Merriman would play the Kiwanuka position as a strong side LB and could come in as a RDE in obvious passing situations with Groves being his backup. I think this setup will get us a fair number of sacks especially later in the game as the center takes a non-stop beating.

pedantic

A state of mind which is about caring a lot about formalities, often more than necessary. One may be called pedantic when he/she points out corrections in unimportant details.

"Okay okay, so there were five people there instead of four, no need to be pedantic. Now anyway…"

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Here we go Rd 1 Jonathon Martin O.T. Stanford 6-6 310 No pass rushers worth this spot ,this year. Hate tackles with 1st pick. But maybe we luck out.

Rd 2 Vin Curry Marshall 6-3 265 I like this kid at this spot. Lots of sacks and long arms.

Rd 3 Bruce Irvin 6-2 245 West Virginia Big fast 4.54 forty 4-3 type olb.

Let it rip.

I think in round 1 we take Melvin Ingram.....Led the SEC in sacks and our front office loves the SEC. Nix and Gailey love players with versatility, at 6-2 276 Ingram can play DE and LB plus he was a special teams stud. He fits the Chan and Buddy mold all to well.

The Bills have three areas of concern 1. pressure on the QB 2. another weapon on offense 3. overall depth

The Bills are switching to the 4-3 and the Teams I think they should take a close look at are the Giants (48 sacks) and Cincinnati (45 sacks), The Giants are an interest to me because they play a 4-3 with Mathias Kiwanuka playing Strong side linebacker while the Bills have a very similar player in Merriman, Cincinnati is of interest because they managed to get 45 sacks with no player reaching double digits and a DT Geno Atkins being the team leader with 7.5 sacks. The Bills will need to pick up 2-4 decent 4-3 type LBs in the draft. The Bills have two interesting pick ups on the defensive line Jarron Gilbert of jumping out of the pool fame and Kyle Moore who was a pretty good DE for USC.

The Bills offense started off pretty good until ravaged by injury- Stevie Johnson is a legit #1 but not a top 5 or even top 10 WR that being said our chances of keeping him either by contract or franchise tag seem better than getting V. Jackson, Marques Colston, or Dwayne Bowe in Buffalo. I think the Bills go with six WRs Stevie Johnson, David Nelson (slot) and Brad Smith (special teams, wildcat) take three spots while Kamar Akien, Donald Jones, Derek Hagan, Marcus Easley, Naaman Roosevelt, Tim Toone and any FAs battle it out for the #2 wideout position/special teams. Scott Chandler was OK at TE but we don't have that scary weapon at TE that teams like NE,NO,GB,Dallas, SD and a few other teams have. The Bills did sign former basketball player and physical freak Fendi Onobun (6,6 250 4.48 forty) and reasonably athletic Kevin Brock (6,5 260 4.65).

Free Agency- while I'd love a top tier pass rusher like Mario Williams I think Buffalo lacks both the dollars and the draw to get one, thus I am going fairly low rent with the majority of the focus going to sign our own FAs Bell, Stevie Johnson, Chandler, Urbik - my focus for the rest of free agency is young, athletic and reasonably cheap guys so that we can platoon our defensive linemen effectively Jamaal Anderson DE 26, Amobi Okoye DT 25, Quentin Groves LB 27 all fit that description. If enough money is left over then a WR like Robert Meachem, Laurent Robinson, or even Braylon Edwards could help the #2 WR position.

Draft- I believe Buddy when he says football is a game for big people and he also likes versatility

1. Michael Brockers DT -from everything I read his upside is equal to or greater than Coples who I think will be gone.

2. Dwayne Allen TE- The Bills need another weapon on offense and I like him better than the WRs left

3. Trumaine Johnson CB/FS- size and versatility

4a. Brock Osweiler QB - Osweiler has both major upside and major concerns, could go as early as rd2,

4b. Brandon Mosley OT- Good athlete LT needs to put on 10-15lbs and get stronger

5a. Nigel Bradham LB

5b. Tank Carder LB

6. Josh Kaddu LB

7. Greg McCoy CB

an example of platooning Bills Dline might be #1 Carrington LDE, Dareus DT, Kyle Williams DT, Jamaal Anderson RDE

..............................................#2 Gilbert LDE,Brockers DT Okoye DT. Kyle Moore RDE

Merriman would play the Kiwanuka position as a strong side LB and could come in as a RDE in obvious passing situations with Groves being his backup. I think this setup will get us a fair number of sacks especially later in the game as the center takes a non-stop beating.

Michael Brockers has almost no pass rush ability. He's a red shirt sophomore. I would be very upset if we wasted a top #10 pick on him. By the time he learns the game (if ever) he'll be a free-agent. Like the Allen and Johnson picks.

From what I saw in the Senior Bowl and what Curry will do at the combine...he's looking like a 1st rounder. The Bills need so much, it's hard to argue with any pick...except cornerback. If the Bills take a cornerback, it is a great indication that this regime just does not get it either.

They need CB's too. If the CB at 10 is a better overall talent than a DE/OLB left at 10 they should take the CB. There is more than one round in the draft to get players.

I like your draft. I see a top quality OT, a top quality 4-3 DE, and a top quality 4-3 OLB. Nothing to dislike about it. While we need a pass rusher, and I would love to take one at 10, there do not appear to be any worthy of that pick. I'd go with Martin, or any of the other top OT's. My only reservation is that Curry plays his way into the first round, which we could perhaps move back into by trading one of our fourths and swapping some other pick. As an alternative, we could, (flame away at this) trade down to get Curry and get another 2nd round pick. Then we could draft another DL and OLB in the 2nd. Use the 3rd and 4ths for OT, WR, CB's.

Agree, it's a good draft. Nix is going to love Martin's wingspan. You took a DE and OLB both who can rush. Tell me we took a FA pass rusher and I'll buy my seasons tomorrow.

I think in round 1 we take Melvin Ingram.....Led the SEC in sacks and our front office loves the SEC. Nix and Gailey love players with versatility, at 6-2 276 Ingram can play DE and LB plus he was a special teams stud. He fits the Chan and Buddy mold all to well.

This may be a good pick at #10. I was watching some highlights of his from this past year, the guy is fast and has great hands. A lot will be revealed at the combine when he goes up against the other DLs. I'm not sure how he would fair against NFL O linemen, but saw in one of his clips he was a former QB, RB, WR, LB, SS, P, and K. He has obvious football skills. That being said, we should pick up the best player at any position that will be starting week 1 since we could use help just about everywhere but QB, RB, DT, OG/C and safety.

No takers? Well, obviously it was the pass rush for the Giants that was the key to beating the Pats*

Also, when I mentioned how Dareus improved his draft stock at the combine last year, I had a player in mind that will do that this year: Dont'a Hightower. I think most mocks have him at 12-20 overall right now (not sure where Mayock has him), but after he runs a 4.6 40 and lifts and dominates in the position drills, I could see him rising to the Bills. I was high on Upshaw til someone mentioned he has short arms.

Upshaw and Hightower are both superb players.

As for the Giants pass rush winning the game, you are obviously right. They had a functional to good OL; the DL was one of the best ever. If those roles were reversed, if they would have had an all-time great OL and a functional to good pass rush, they might still be champs.

The game is won in the trenches, and the rule changes favor receivers, big time. Professional receivers cannot be covered all day, even by the best DBs. This was always the case, and with the rule changes, it stands out even more.

And, rule changes or not, the most important positions always were, and continue to be, QB, LT, and pass rusher. They are the hardest to fill too, and it's usually a mistake to pass on one when a great one comes along.