pre combine 3rd draft

No takers? Well, obviously it was the pass rush for the Giants that was the key to beating the Pats*

Also, when I mentioned how Dareus improved his draft stock at the combine last year, I had a player in mind that will do that this year: Dont'a Hightower. I think most mocks have him at 12-20 overall right now (not sure where Mayock has him), but after he runs a 4.6 40 and lifts and dominates in the position drills, I could see him rising to the Bills. I was high on Upshaw til someone mentioned he has short arms.

That was me.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say follow the Dareus philosophy. Wait til AFTER the combine and draft the pass rusher who "wins." Dareus wasn't even considered a top 5 pick until he dominated at the combine.

After watching the Super Bowl, did the Giants win because of good OL play or because of good pass rushing??

Way not right. Was going 1-2-3 from day one of the post season.

That was me.

LOL. Typical hipster. Has to point out that he noticed the short arms first! Congrats! Well, honestly, thanks for bringing it up! Short arms sounds like too big a risk. And, I'll admit, I thought Fairley was going 2nd and we'd get Bowers at 3rd back in 2010, and the emperor wears no clothes. I must be the only one. Everyone else on this forum is a draft genius like Mayock.

Can any of you produce links from Feb 2011 to back up your Dareus claims? If it was so obvious?

LOL. Typical hipster. Has to point out that he noticed the short arms first! Congrats! Well, honestly, thanks for bringing it up! Short arms sounds like too big a risk. And, I'll admit, I thought Fairley was going 2nd and we'd get Bowers at 3rd back in 2010, and the emperor wears no clothes. I must be the only one. Everyone else on this forum is a draft genius like Mayock.

Can any of you produce links from Feb 2011 to back up your Dareus claims? If it was so obvious?

Typical hipster? I don't think so. I don't know how long they keep previous posts on this site but I can say this; I visited GBNREPORT.COM on the first day of Senior Bowl practices. Height, weight, arm length were listed for all Senior Bowl participants. That is when I notices that both Ingram and Upshaw had short arms and "originally posted" that fact and questioned whether Buffalo should draft either of these players. This would have been about the 23rd. or 24th of January. I don't know if you can reach into an archive and pull it up but you should try before calling me a Typical Hipster for that matter.

As to Hightower; he played one of the inside LB positions in Saban's 34. Gailey has already named Sheppard as Buffalo's starting middle LB for the 2012 season. Why would you want to draft a backup at #10 or do you feel he can transition to strong OLB in Gailey's 43? If so, please explain why.

How about this one?

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/127230-mock-2011-poll/page__p__2109603__fromsearch__1#entry2109603

It's a poll from 2-17-11 where 23 posters wanted Dareus at 3.

How about this one?

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/127230-mock-2011-poll/page__p__2109603__fromsearch__1#entry2109603

It's a poll from 2-17-11 where 23 posters wanted Dareus at 3.

That's a pretty weak poll considering it's only between Dareus, Quinn and Newton, and many posts say their guy is not there, but still, I'd give you props if you were one of the 23, which you aren't.

That's a pretty weak poll considering it's only between Dareus, Quinn and Newton, and many posts say their guy is not there, but still, I'd give you props if you were one of the 23, which you aren't.

Your right because I voted for Newton (who went first overall). Again if there were only those few choices is it not apparent that he was thought of as viable for our pick? You are seriously bordering (if not already crossed into) troll territory. Then again Wampus is in you user name so it should be expected.

Found it. Go to page 6, page down to subject, Leading Pass Rush Candidates With Short Arms. As I said, it was me!

I think an apology from you is in order if you're man enough for that sort of thing.

I was very specific when I said "Dareus wasn't even considered a top 5 pick until he dominated at the combine" and was called "COMPLETELY WRONG" but I'm just telling it as it is. Can we drop all the nit-picking and football hipsterisms??

Anyone care to comment on this years draft? How about, what won the Super Bowl, pass rush or O-line?

Did the Giants pass rush win or did the Pats O-line lose? Hmmm. If pass rush is disruptive to an offense wouldn't it be important to have a good O-line to protect against it?

Just thoughts. IMO you take the best player value at a position of need rather than reach for a guy who may not be any better than what you can get in the next round, but that's just me.

Found it. Go to page 6, page down to subject, Leading Pass Rush Candidates With Short Arms. As I said, it was me!

I think an apology from you is in order if you're man enough for that sort of thing.

Dude. I never questioned that you weren't the guy to post the short arm thing. That's why I said "CONGRATS" and "thanks for bringing that up."

I said that Dareus wasn't a top 5 until the combine, and you insisted that I'm wrong. I'm asking you to show me a link from feb 11 that proves you knew Dareus was a Top 5 prospect. I'm calling BS. Hindsight is 20/20. I know Mayock had him at #2 on an early mock, but he was the only "expert" willing to rate him that high. Every other analyst jumped on the Dareus bandwagon AFTER the combine.

As for Hightower. One scout report said he can play "any position on the field." I'd like him at SS OLB.

Also, I'm not too big on Sheppard at MLB. Can he handle that? I'm gonna say no. So, maybe Hightower ends up there.

Edited by mountainwampus

Buddy Nix runs a top scouting department so I think it's safe to say that they've seen every single player in the FBS and maybe all the way down to Div. III so right now they have a much better idea than any of us about who's the best for the Bills needs. The Combine is where those beliefs are refined and confirmed, and where Buddy and the others get to see the top guys all in one place. It is highly unlikely that they will be shocked by some unknown kid from Podunk U who comes out of nowhere to be the sensation. That only happens in bad movies.

Dude. I never questioned that you weren't the guy to post the short arm thing. That's why I said "CONGRATS" and "thanks for bringing that up."

I said that Dareus wasn't a top 5 until the combine, and you insisted that I'm wrong. I'm asking you to show me a link from feb 11 that proves you knew Dareus was a Top 5 prospect. I'm calling BS. Hindsight is 20/20. I know Mayock had him at #2 on an early mock, but he was the only "expert" willing to rate him that high. Every other analyst jumped on the bDareus bandwagon AFTER the combine.

As for Hightower. One scout report said he can play "any position on the field." I'd like him at SS OLB.

let it go, y'all are splittin hairs over whether he was ranked as a top 5 or just a high first round pick. The argument is absurd. If your point is that the combine raised his stock some then yes you are correct. If you are arguing it put him on the map as a projected early 1st rounder then no, you are wrong. Happy?

Edited by Rob's House

Did the Giants pass rush win or did the Pats O-line lose? Hmmm. If pass rush is disruptive to an offense wouldn't it be important to have a good O-line to protect against it?

My thought is that Chan's offense (or maybe it's Fitzy's style) doesn't require the same quality of pass blocking that Brady needs. I'm not saying Fitzy's better than Brady, but he's definitely tougher and makes quicker throws. Also, since he was the least sacked QB last year, and they were a top rushing team, do we really want to spoil the chemistry?

let it go, y'all are splittin hairs over whether he was ranked as a top 5 or just a high first round pick. The argument is absurd. If your point is that the combine raised his stock some then yes you are correct. If you are arguing it put him on the map as a projected early 1st rounder then no, you are wrong. Happy?

Yeah, all I was trying to say is that the combine helped him. I never said he wasn't a top prospect. I'm not an idiot.

Your right because I voted for Newton (who went first overall). Again if there were only those few choices is it not apparent that he was thought of as viable for our pick? You are seriously bordering (if not already crossed into) troll territory. Then again Wampus is in you user name so it should be expected.

How am I the troll? I'm actually discussing the topic brought up by the OP. Props to you for picking Newton.

My thought is that Chan's offense (or maybe it's Fitzy's style) doesn't require the same quality of pass blocking that Brady needs. I'm not saying Fitzy's better than Brady, but he's definitely tougher and makes quicker throws. Also, since he was the least sacked QB last year, and they were a top rushing team, do we really want to spoil the chemistry?

Yeah, all I was trying to say is that the combine helped him. I never said he wasn't a top prospect. I'm not an idiot.

How am I the troll? I'm actually discussing the topic brought up by the OP. Props to you for picking Newton.

Anyone who watched a half a second of College Foooseball knew Dareus was a top 3 pick.........Not sure why you are so salty about this fact.....The combine did help him (as it does everyone else who performs well) but Dareus was a top dog all along

Anyone who watched a half a second of College Foooseball knew Dareus was a top 3 pick.........Not sure why you are so salty about this fact.....The combine did help him (as it does everyone else who performs well) but Dareus was a top dog all along

Well, your memory is flawed. I posted 4 mock drafts, and none of them have him higher than 6. If you look at post-combine mocks, they all have him in top 4. The combine helped Dareus more than any other D-line player. THAT IS ALL I'M SAYING. Just post some proof if I'm wrong.

Whatever dude. Before the combine, all the attention was on Nick Fairley as the top DT, plus Cam, Bowers,Peterson, Quinn, Gabbert, etc. Dareus was rated 5-20 overall on the pre-combine mocks. I studied them.

Yes. Dareus was overlooked by people who type on a keyboard and don't work in any FO.

You have no idea how he was ranked by pro football scouts. Dareus was a beast long before everyone was on Nick Fairley's jock.

I said that Dareus wasn't a top 5 until the combine, and you insisted that I'm wrong. I'm asking you to show me a link from feb 11 that proves you knew Dareus was a Top 5 prospect. I'm calling BS. Hindsight is 20/20. I know Mayock had him at #2 on an early mock, but he was the only "expert" willing to rate him that high. Every other analyst jumped on the Dareus bandwagon AFTER the combine.

Also, I'm not too big on Sheppard at MLB. Can he handle that? I'm gonna say no. So, maybe Hightower ends up there.

Show you a link? Hasn't that already been done by others? How many links do you need before you admit you are just plain wrong?

Chan thinks Sheppard can handle MLB. Why would you doubt the Bills' head coach? Other than reading mock drafts, do you actually have any scouting experience?

I'm not saying that Hightower will not be an excellent pro player, but if you read his bio, he has many of the same qualities as Sheppard had while at LSU. If you think he can play middle, why would you draft another middle when you already have a developing player at that position and Buffalo has other significant positions to fill? If you think he can be an OLB in a 43, do you think it is ever a good idea to draft a player with the intention of moving him to a position he is not familiar with, particularly at #10?

The reasons that I thought the Bills should pick Dareus, and that was way before the combine, is that he played a 34 DE at Alabama. He played it exceptionally well. He sometimes played the Nose. He did that exceptionally well. Buffalo was using the 34 as our primary D going into 2011, and the team needed size and talent on it's D line.

If you want to your first rd. pick to be successful, to be a very good pick, find a player that plays a position where you have a need and plays the position exceptionally well.

One more thing; the combine should never be used for the purpose of significantly upgrading a player. It should only be used to confirm some of the information already gathered by a team's scouting dept., in my opinion.

OK...This is just a wild hunch but given this teams history of drafting DBs in the first I bet we get a CB in the first. I would hate it but it is a very real possibility. Regardless of front office personnel and coaching the Bills have drafted a DB in the first round something like 30% - 40% of the time if memory serves. Even though we got Aaron Williams in the second round last year we are overdue.

That being said maybe the switch back to a 4 - 3 will make McKelvin, another first round pick, feel more comfortable and at least be productive. Not talking shutdown. Just productive.

If he was a top 3 before the combine, but was picked #3 after the combine, how did it help him?

Show you a link? Hasn't that already been done by others? How many links do you need before you admit you are just plain wrong?

No links have been produced. Just a TBD poll showing 23 posters picked Dareus. I'm looking for a real article or published mock that shows Dareus higher than 5th.

As for Sheppard, I just don't think he did much last year.