Last known WWI Veteran dies at 110

The Poojer

Disappointing that these guys and gals died without even half the fanfare their WWII counterparts received. I would really like to see a Band of Brothers type movie for the Doughboys.

Eight episodes of guys sitting around in the mud, getting trenchfoot and typhus. <<yawn>>

Actually, it would be pretty interesting. The revolution at the tactical level (aircraft, tanks, gas, rapid-fire artillery - if anyone says "Don't forget machine guns," I'll kick your ass for being an ignoramus) and the impressions it made on the average soldier at the front would be fascinating...and outside the interest of the average viewer.

Eight episodes of guys sitting around in the mud, getting trenchfoot and typhus. <<yawn>>

Actually, it would be pretty interesting. The revolution at the tactical level (aircraft, tanks, gas, rapid-fire artillery - if anyone says "Don't forget machine guns," I'll kick your ass for being an ignoramus) and the impressions it made on the average soldier at the front would be fascinating...and outside the interest of the average viewer.

My grandfather had some pretty interesting pictures in his scrapbook and he was an engineer.

I think a series on WWI would be great. I've seen footage of the "new" weapons that were used during that war. Mustard Gas was brutal. The early tanks were very crude. Some were gigantic, slow, lumbering monsters, while others were smaller and faster, but would tip upside down when it met an immovable object. Then of course there was the trench warfare, the "big pushes" and so many men getting mowed down by artillery.

Very little or almost no ground was gained during that war. The front basically stayed the same for four years.

I think a series on WWI would be great. I've seen footage of the "new" weapons that were used during that war. Mustard Gas was brutal. The early tanks were very crude. Some were gigantic, slow, lumbering monsters, while others were smaller and faster, but would tip upside down when it met an immovable object. Then of course there was the trench warfare, the "big pushes" and so many men getting mowed down by artillery.

Very little or almost no ground was gained during that war. The front basically stayed the same for four years.

You know you're explaining that to a military historian, right? If you want to write the script, I'll happily consult.

The late-war tanks, like the Whippet (smaller and faster), were actually pretty decent. The very first ones - the British Mark 1 or the German A7V - were pretty execrable, in part because no one knew how to use them. The tactics were basically "Break through the trench line, and...now what do we do?", then lots of aimless milling around.

That's the main reason WWI in the West was such a bloodbath and the lines barely moved - not the deadliness of the weapons, but the aimless milling around because commanders couldn't command their forces.

You know you're explaining that to a military historian, right? If you want to write the script, I'll happily consult.

The late-war tanks, like the Whippet (smaller and faster), were actually pretty decent. The very first ones - the British Mark 1 or the German A7V - were pretty execrable, in part because no one knew how to use them. The tactics were basically "Break through the trench line, and...now what do we do?", then lots of aimless milling around.

That's the main reason WWI in the West was such a bloodbath and the lines barely moved - not the deadliness of the weapons, but the aimless milling around because commanders couldn't command their forces.

anyone ever tell you that you're kind of a douche? :thumbsup:

As long as our series contained the greatest weapon of all time, the Chaochat, I will be pleased.

Make a couple of the soldiers gay and set the series to Top-40 music and you've got yourself a hit TV show.

Edited by Ramius

Don't forget the machine gun! It played a huge role in making the war a stalemate :devil:

anyone ever tell you that you're kind of a douche? :thumbsup:

As long as our series contained the greatest weapon of all time, the Chaochat, I will be pleased.

Douche isn't the right word. Tom is like the brilliant surgeon with the poor bedside manner. He may consider you to be an idiot and not worthy of conversation, but that doesn't mean you're not fortunate to have him around ;)

Douche isn't the right word. Tom is like the brilliant surgeon with the poor bedside manner. He may consider you to be an idiot and not worthy of conversation, but that doesn't mean you're not fortunate to have him around ;)

I think of him more as the !@#$ in high school that had the best weed. He drove you nuts but when he was there it was cool, if not you got high on someone else's ****.

Brilliant surgeon. :rolleyes::D

Don't forget the machine gun! It played a huge role in making the war a stalemate :devil:

No, it didn't! It didn't! No! !@#$ you, !@#$head! It didn't!

Douche isn't the right word. Tom is like the brilliant surgeon with the poor bedside manner.

In other words...douche.

On Feb. 9, 1943, the World War II battle of Guadalcanal in the southwest Pacific ended with an American victory over Japanese forces.

:thumbsup:

I believe two sailors died for every soldier that did. At the Battle of Savo Island alone 1,000 American sailors died, one of the worst disasters in our naval history.